Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
12.8e
Both condition A & B must be met in order to conduct a breakout in the break out phase. yes?

The exception being on the FIRST turn of being out of Trace we can waive the A & B conditions? Yes?

Do I determine Trace Supply at that moment or is it carried over from last turn? Since Supply in turn sequence comes after breakout.

Should not C be a sub case, not part of the overall conditions? Since you cant conform to A, B and C. You can only conform to either C or A and B?

How do you guys keep track of which turn counters went OOS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Walton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The conditions for breakout are determined at the instant of attempting to breakout. In essence, you are doing a check for trace supply outside of the normal sequence, but those units found to be out of trace supply are not marked OOS. (You have a chance to establish a supply line before the supply phase) It is possible to meet conditions A and/or B and still qualify for condition C.
Condition C was "created" in response to excessively agressive Axis play in opening moves of GB2/CB, including the summer 42 CB scenario starts. Given complete knowledge of the Soviet setup, the panzers would target HQ's and crucial road/rail junctions, and put vast swathes of the Soviet line OOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks Keith, I see how A & B could be applied in the instance where C was eligible as well.

Wouldn't I always choose C at the first time I am in this situation ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Walton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Kev, clearly you would apply condition C when you have chosen to break out. Bear in mind though that you may wish to try and re-establish trace supply to some units, or have them eat off the map. It depends on the tactical situation, you may want some units to remain in blocking positions. Of course, if you re-establish trace supply, and get cut off the next turn, you qualify for the 1st turn of breakout again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Indeed Tracey. I understand the rules...mostly. Its in combination and then apply in correct sequence. i.e. the recent video I posted the big board , is a simple thing i talk about, but in order to get a armor unit moving as a reinforcement not using rail, it needs supply! Walking thru that exercise took a few minutes and a reshuffle of rail allocation, units moved, creation of a supply dump so the tanks could grab supply etc etc etc.

All very cool. but opaque unless you have some experience. I imagine once you get going ALLLLLLLL of this becomes second nature.

It will be interesting to see how the breakout rules and the rolls associated with them affect all the soviets in Turn 3.

There are several options - use internal supplies, use tree bark, leave some or none behind, attempt to breakthru etc etc.

Excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Clarified by John:
12.8e BreakOut Question

Is this a correct understanding of 4.1a 12.8e Breakout:

If a unit is out of Trace supply during Movement phase but has not yet been marked Out of Supply and this is the first turn out of Trace and attempts Breakout; Case C applies.

This means the unit does not need to find any path any where (Case A ) AND need not worry how close it is to any friendly unit (Case B )

If such unit declines to attempt a Breakout and proceeds to move but remains out of Trace and is marked Out of Supply AND survives the Attrition roll during the Supply phase it may then:

During its next Movement phase (following turn) attempt to Breakout but must now satisfy both Case A & Case B in order to attempt that Breakout.

In other words if a unit is marked Out of Supply and attempts Breakout Case A and Case B apply. If a unit is out of Trace in the Movement phase but is not marked Out of Supply only Case C applies.

Scott,

You are mostly correct. But note the first turn a unit finds itself cut off it could eat off the map (and thus avoid being marked OOS). This unit would forfeit the opportunity to use "C" in a later turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.