James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing no one would buy the Marksmanship upgrade for a pilot that already has a Focus action (and all the named pilots seem to come with a Focus action) as Marksmanship allows you to convert Focus results to Hit results (including one critical hit), but Focus allows you flexibility to spend Focus results on offense or defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could choose to Target Lock an opponent. You could re-roll any blank results then use Marksmanship to convert the Focus results to hits.

Or, you could save the Focus token for defense and use Marksmanship on offense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
fusag wrote:
I'm guessing no one would buy the Marksmanship upgrade for a pilot that already has a Focus action (and all the named pilots seem to come with a Focus action) as Marksmanship allows you to convert Focus results to Hit results (including one critical hit), but Focus allows you flexibility to spend Focus results on offense or defense.

I was absolutely baffled when I saw this. So far every pilot has had the Focus ability. Certainly every pilot who can take a special pilot skill does. I suppose the potential 1 in 5ish chance that a critical causes a direct hit (which I assume is probably an insta kill) might make a crit boost worthwhile, but it seems pretty iffy for 3 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
You could choose to Target Lock an opponent. You could re-roll any blank results then use Marksmanship to convert the Focus results to hits.

Or, you could save the Focus token for defense and use Marksmanship on offense.

My read of page 9 of the rules is that, if a fighter's upgrade gives them another action option, they can only select one action. And Focus tokens are removed at the end of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct. I was going from memory of the card. I forgot it took an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
EDIT: Already handled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Schmidt
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
LunarSol wrote:
[q="fusag"]I suppose the potential 1 in 5ish chance that a critical causes a direct hit (which I assume is probably an insta kill) might make a crit boost worthwhile, but it seems pretty iffy for 3 points.

I think this is the real point of both Marksmanship and Torpedoes. You get an increased chance of scoring a crit. Assuming that Direct Hit is an insta-kill, that seems like it could be worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, automatically "rolling" a critical seems like it would be pretty useful. Criticals, even if they don't "insta-kill" seem like they can inflict some pretty significant penalties on your opponents. This very well could be worth the extra points (and giving up the ability to use it for defending)

Also, consider that Vader can perform 2 actions per turn ... and you aren't allowed to perform the same action twice. Give Vader Marksmanship and he can essentially Focus for offense as well as Defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I have to see the critical damage deck to see how useful an extra crit is. Right now, I see that ships are destroyed by accumulating hits, so the question is how much does a crit make it easier to inflict further hits.

If I had Darth Vader, I would do as Todd suggested: get a high attack weapon (like missiles), use Target Lock to reroll blanks, and then Focus to turn Focus results to hits. And use your wingman plus that card that increases their pilot skill to cover you while you focus. I believe that's how US airmen are trained: trust that your wingman has your back so you can fully concentrate on offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
get a high attack weapon (like missiles), use Target Lock to reroll blanks

You can spend a Target Lock to use the missiles or you can spend the Target Lock to reroll blanks, it's one or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
fusag wrote:
get a high attack weapon (like missiles), use Target Lock to reroll blanks

You can spend a Target Lock to use the missiles or you can spend the Target Lock to reroll blanks, it's one or the other.

Good point, I forgot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don David
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick question about marksmanship + cluster missiles.

Lord Vader is using his actions for 1) marksmanship 2) target lock, then in the attack phase his using cluster missiles. So... how many dies can he change with markamship, only for once of the attacks rolls or for both?.

Thank you so much :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedSquig wrote:
A quick question about marksmanship + cluster missiles.

Lord Vader is using his actions for 1) marksmanship 2) target lock, then in the attack phase his using cluster missiles. So... how many dies can he change with markamship, only for once of the attacks rolls or for both?.

Thank you so much

I would definitely say that Marksmanship will change things to [Hit] on both of the rolls. The thing I wouldn't be positive on is if it could change things to [Critical Hit] on each roll. I'm thinking not. The way it's worded could definitely be targeted for "all attacks", not "every attack".

Keep in mind this doesn't have to be limited to Vader. Maarek can acquire the target lock in the previous turn and use his marksmanship in the turn he fires his missiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don David
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer.

Yap, my question is because the text of the card says nothing about a total of attack rolls, just the attack roll... and is not very clear :/. But thanks, i will do that, seems legit because is "an attack" with two independent rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david boyett
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The text of the marksmanship cards says "When attacking this round" which I would read as applying to all attacks rolled for that model that round. The only place this gets fuzzy is with the cluster missiles because it's the only one that allows for multiple shots in the same round. I read this as giving each attack the 1st focus = crit and other focus = hits allowing for the potential for two free crits in one round. But it's unclear enough that it could go the other way. Sounds like an FAQ entry required situation to me.

The results are going to be situational though. Cluster missiles only get 3 dice and only 2 sides of the die are "focus" results. So getting that auto crit isn't a given. And if the defender rolls well and has shields, it won't make a huge impact. But if the shields are already gone and you get a couple solid hits, it's a game over for the target.

-DavicusPrime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has got me thinking.

You move your ship, decide to do the action on Marksmanship.
Then you continue playing until it's that ship's turn to fire.
Wouldn't it be easy to forget you used Marksmanship?
All of the normal actions have reminder tokens to place next to the ship.
I can't see anything in the rules but would it just make sense to exhaust the card with the action on it next to the pilot card, then when you look at the card while attacking the exhausted card will remind you. The card would then get refreshed in the cleanup phase.
I haven't played the game yet so I don't know how often you would notice this, what do you think?
Another way could be to place on unused ID token on the card with the action and one next to the ship, reminding you that you have used the action. This would then get removed in the cleanup phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I've used Marksmanship I turned it sideways to remind me that I activated it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Regis

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
When I've used Marksmanship I turned it sideways to remind me that I activated it.

"Tap Marksmanship to.."

cool Hey.. that works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:

We use the mission tokens, placing them on the card and the ship as a reminder. Tapping works, too.

DavicusPrime wrote:
The text of the marksmanship cards says "When attacking this round" which I would read as applying to all attacks rolled for that model that round.

There's no other card or combo that creates the impression that "attacking" is synonymous with making multiple attacks, so I wouldn't start here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.