Subject: Kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried this with kids around 10? I am planning to play it with my sister in law which is 10 years old, she reads English just fine but I am a bit worried the game could be a bit too much for her. What you guys think? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been playing this with my son since it first came out. He's ten now. Very doable, at least if she likes this kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dexter
United States
Warwick
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only has my 10 year old been playing it, he's been teaching his friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
My son, Luke, loves playing as the Tundra Orcs. His favourite faction. He's 8. But every kid is different. I know some 30 year olds who would struggle with it. If your sister-in-law is a little gamer, and would enjoy this style of game, I think you guys will have a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My precocious seven-year-old loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an 11 yo son who is getting quite good at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick to one of the more text-light factions and you should be fine. I'd steer away from SO, CG, and DD for example, but the other 3 Starter factions and SE should be fine for the most part. My 9 year old nephew asked to play it recently, and has been playing since he was 7 or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old boy loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my daughter in Summoner Wars action.

I have some mixed feelings about playing this game with her. On the one hand, it has more thematic violence than any other game we play. On the other several hands:

- It uses really interesting and sophisticated decision-making abilities.
- It's a highly competitive game that's fun even when you lose, so it's teaching her good sportsmanship.
- She really likes it!
- I get to play more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is turning 7 this week and I ordered this game for her. I really hope it clicks with her. She likes Quarriors! and is a decent reader. She is able to handle the basic rules for many other games I've tried with her so far--Takenoko, Through the Desert, Seven Dragons, Go, Forbidden Island, and Castle Panic.
When I took her to the game store just to see what caught her attention, she liked the Kid Knitting kits, and very much wanted to go home with Descent and Dungeon Lords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This week my girl developed a real attachment to the Swamp Orcs. She hadn't been winning with them, though ... until today, when she cleaned my clock (as Cloaks) in under 20 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kerr
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
My 5 year old son absolutely loves this game. It's probably a bit much for him, except that he mostly plays the same few factions each time, an so has their skills memorized. He loves the Tundra Orcs and even pretends he's Grognack from time to time. I'd imagine your 10 year old would be able to get it assuming she was actually interested in playing. The actual rules aren't that tough; it's mostly the interactions of skills and armies that can get tricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.