Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Reid MC's Alchemist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reid Miles Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
Mage: The Alchemist
An interesting support character with allot of utility and buff abilities. The Alchemist however lacks any form of direct damage and is a little helpless when they don't have someone to buff.

The Alchemist is completely untested.

Starting Gear

Unstable Mixture
Ranged - Exotic - 2 Handed
Blue and Yellow
Surge: Blast

*The mixture is 2 handed because the alchemist throws the components in at the last second.

Starting Skill

Alchemy - Each time you flip a search card with the potion trait, roll a yellow die, if a surge is rolled unflip the potion.

At the beginning of each quest, look through the search deck for a potion and add it to your inventory.

All items you equip with Exotic also have Magic.

1 xp Skills

Energy Potion - Action and 1 fatigue: Give this card to an adjacent ally.
-If not Alchemist-
When you have 0 fatigue, roll a red die and recover 1 fatigue for every heart rolled. Then return this card to the Alchemist.

Cure Potion - Action and 2 fatigue: Give this card to an adjacent ally.
-If not Alchemist-
Return this card to the Alchemist to discard 1 of your conditions.

Smoke Bomb - Action and 1 fatigue: Give this card to an adjacent ally.
-If not Alchemist-
Return this card to the Alchemist to make a monster’s attacks miss you unless they pay 1 surge. This effect lasts until the end of the overlord’s turn.

2 xp Skills

Weapon Poison - Action and 1 fatigue: Give this card to an adjacent ally.
-If not Alchemist-
Return this card to the Alchemist after you do at least 1 damage to a monster, that monster suffers any condition of your choice.

Alacrity Potion - Action and 1 fatigue: Give this card to an adjacent ally.
-If not Alchemist-
Return this card to the Alchemist to gain 3 movement points.

Master Alchemist - Replace the following text: 'Action: Give this card to an adjacent ally.' With: 'Action: Give this card to an ally up to 3 spaces away. You may also give this card to yourself, keep it separate from your other skills and read the -If not Alchemist- text.'

3 xp Skills

Life Potion - Action and 2 fatigue: Give this card to an adjacent ally.
-If not Alchemist-
When you have 0 health, roll a red die and recover 1 health for every heart rolled. Then return this card to the Alchemist.

Experiment - As a single action you may give two cards with the following text... 'Action: Give this card to an adjacent ally.' ...to the same player, you must pay both fatigue costs.

Please post thoughts and comments, I'm going to post the other 3 classes soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Energy potion looks underpowered: you spend 1action+1fatigue to discard a variable number (0-4? cannot remember red die hearts distribution) of fatigue, when you could get full fatigue (3-5) discarded for just one action. Granted, you shift the burden of spending the action from the other hero to the alchemist, but the only reason this is a very good thing is because the alchemist appears weak.

Cure Potion is even worse: how many conditions are worth both one action (=stun removal) AND one fatigue? Maybe combining the two potions could make it remotely useful.

Smoke Bomb seems nice. However, I need a clarification: must the hero declare he is using the bomb before or after the monster rolls the attack?

Weapon poison: again, I like the idea, yet the cost of using it (a 2xp ability, an action) seems largely underpowered: look at the bonuses to attack given by other classes' 2nd level skills: some of them may equate with giving a condition and they don't even require an action.

I have a similar feeling about the other abilities as well, but in general I can hardly see anyone ever willing to take this class over the necromancer, despite the possible thematic allure.

Geki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Miles Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
geki wrote:
Energy potion looks underpowered: you spend 1action+1fatigue to discard a variable number (0-4? cannot remember red die hearts distribution) of fatigue, when you could get full fatigue (3-5) discarded for just one action. Granted, you shift the burden of spending the action from the other hero to the alchemist, but the only reason this is a very good thing is because the alchemist appears weak.

Cure Potion is even worse: how many conditions are worth both one action (=stun removal) AND one fatigue? Maybe combining the two potions could make it remotely useful.

Smoke Bomb seems nice. However, I need a clarification: must the hero declare he is using the bomb before or after the monster rolls the attack?

Weapon poison: again, I like the idea, yet the cost of using it (a 2xp ability, an action) seems largely underpowered: look at the bonuses to attack given by other classes' 2nd level skills: some of them may equate with giving a condition and they don't even require an action.

I have a similar feeling about the other abilities as well, but in general I can hardly see anyone ever willing to take this class over the necromancer, despite the possible thematic allure.

Geki

Thanks for the advice, I leaned on the side of underpowered because the mechanic is completely unique and I have no reference point.

I might remove the fatigue cost of energy, poison and cure, combining cure and energy works mechanically but is thematically odd. Or I could keep the fatigue cost but make them not require an action.

Smoke Bomb is unclear, the intention was that you would declare it before they rolled their attack.

How would you buff the alchemist while keeping the mechanic intact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant see images, Takes me to image shack login.

Host the images on BGG if your going to want users to look at them. No need to create one off accounts on other sites just to see your work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Miles Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
atraangelis wrote:
Cant see images, Takes me to image shack login.

Host the images on BGG if your going to want users to look at them. No need to create one off accounts on other sites just to see your work.

I did not know that other people couldn't see image shack things. I'll try to fix this as soon as possible. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reidmc wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I leaned on the side of underpowered because the mechanic is completely unique and I have no reference point.

I might remove the fatigue cost of energy, poison and cure, combining cure and energy works mechanically but is thematically odd. Or I could keep the fatigue cost but make them not require an action.

Smoke Bomb is unclear, the intention was that you would declare it before they rolled their attack.

How would you buff the alchemist while keeping the mechanic intact?

Smoke bomb, as I thought, risks to be completely useless, but I am not familiar enough with surges distribution to offer advice on that.

I know it could sound like I am offering no constructive criticism, yet I am ashamed to admit that I have no clear insight into ways to rebalance alchemist. Removing the required action and keeping a fatigue cost COULD be a good idea, although that would make rest potion too strong.

I will think about it.

Geki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the purpose of the "Exotic" keyword - why not just make it magic (rather than giving the alchemist an ability that makes exotic things magic anyway?)

Quote:
Alchemy - Each time you flip a search card with the potion trait, roll a yellow die, if a surge is rolled unflip the potion.

How about testing your knowledge instead? That seems to be how "things that don't always work" are handled in general.

Agreed that energy and cure potion seem underpowered (and the healing one seems like it would be just fine at 1XP). I definitely think the Energy potion should be a full fatigue heal. To spend one of your actions to do something that might not even be as good as something the target could do by spending one of their actions sees wasteful.

I do like the general idea of "potions" that you hand to other players and get back when they use. More ideas for those (not sure of appropriate levels):

Potion of strength
Potion gives surge: +3 damage, return this card

Potion of skill
When testing an ability, you may roll 2 grey dice instead of 1 black and one grey, return this card (or "you may reroll 1 die, return this card").

Edit: Just saw your smoke bomb follow up. If it isn't after rolling, it is pretty useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Miles Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
cferejohn wrote:
What's the purpose of the "Exotic" keyword - why not just make it magic (rather than giving the alchemist an ability that makes exotic things magic anyway?)

Quote:

How about testing your knowledge instead? That seems to be how "things that don't always work" are handled in general.

Agreed that energy and cure potion seem underpowered (and the healing one seems like it would be just fine at 1XP). I definitely think the Energy potion should be a full fatigue heal. To spend one of your actions to do something that might not even be as good as something the target could do by spending one of their actions sees wasteful.

I do like the general idea of "potions" that you hand to other players and get back when they use. More ideas for those (not sure of appropriate levels):

Potion of strength
Potion gives surge: +3 damage, return this card

Potion of skill
When testing an ability, you may roll 2 grey dice instead of 1 black and one grey, return this card (or "you may reroll 1 die, return this card").

Edit: Just saw your smoke bomb follow up. If it isn't after rolling, it is pretty useless.

Most of the items that are exotic are mechanical (crossbows) or bombs. I want the alchemist to try to pick up weapons like these rather then compete for runes with the other mages.

Skill I don't think would see enough use, Strength on the other hand is an awesome potion.

All alchemist abilities will no longer take an action, they will only take fatigue, some costs will be the same, some will be higher, some will be lower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Visit my website: www.fillharttech.com where I blog about fixing retro game systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
reidmc wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

Most of the items that are exotic are mechanical (crossbows) or bombs. I want the alchemist to try to pick up weapons like these rather then compete for runes with the other mages.

I think the real question is, what bonuses do you get for always equipping an exotic keyword or having a magic weapon? (I don't have my cards in front of me right now) Doesn't the Runemaster get bonuses for always equipping runes? I'm sure there is a skill that always gives weapons the rune trait then another skill that says if you have a rune equipped you can do [this].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Miles Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
Zerrian wrote:
reidmc wrote:
cferejohn wrote:

I think the real question is, what bonuses do you get for always equipping an exotic keyword or having a magic weapon? (I don't have my cards in front of me right now) Doesn't the Runemaster get bonuses for always equipping runes? I'm sure there is a skill that always gives weapons the rune trait then another skill that says if you have a rune equipped you can do [this].

Various Heroes Heroic abilities (like leoric's blast ability) require you to have a magic weapon. Now leoric can use his ability with any exotic weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a print and play version? thanks!ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.