Subject: Between Me and Victory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the opportunity to play 3-player Eclipse last night, and here’s a little breakdown of what happened.

We explored. So far so good.

We researched. Sam got some awesome upgrades for his ships, including the triple-hull and the 11 power. The triple-hull went to his interceptors, the power to his dreadnaught.

This caused the other player, Steve, to research some serious military technology.

Meanwhile, I’m sitting back, surveying the field, and letting them fight it out while boosting my research with orbitals.

All that is pretty uninteresting. They’re not actually fighting, mind you.

So Steve gets the missiles. Ooo, we’re all so scared. Then he gets the computers and the missiles. Now we’re scared. I upgrade my fleas (interceptors) and mount an attack on him, blitzing past the galactic center which he held with 1 cruiser and trying to take on his backfield. He builds two interceptors to defend, and ends up blowing me out of the sky.

Meanwhile, the third player attacks the Center too, and manages to survive the missiles and shoots back with antimatter cannons (my lone flea didn’t stand a chance against his upgraded Dreadnaughts and the interceptor he came in with)

Effectively, this split me off from the missile ships. This ended up being bad, but it probably would have been just as bad.

See, I know better than to let missiles scare me. I would go after the missile guy and try to take his territory, force him to take actions he couldn’t afford to defend undefended places, and basically try to run up his bill to the point that he would have to take some losses.

Unfortunately, with the monster dreadnaughts in my way, I’m on my back foot instead of Mr. Missiles. So I research, and I upgrade, and I build to defend, as the dreads come my way instead of towards our opponent.

The splitting of us in two lost him the game. Maybe it wasn’t his to win to begin with (first game for him) but that didn’t help. On the last turn, I go through his backdoor (that he connected earlier) and grab a couple VPs from him. Meanwhile, Steve Missiles goes in through THEIR back connection and attacks his homeworld and another 3VP hex.

My wins were easy – no battling, just bombed population for 3 VPs. Steve and Sam battled it out and he ended up losing both sectors, leaving Sam with only the center, a 2VP hex he stole from me the turn before, and a 1VP sector behind his homeworld.

We each had 13 reputation, I had researched two tracks full, but in the end, Steve’s massive territory gains that he was able to explore while Sam attacked me and ignored him gave Steve the win. I think he had 46 – 10 in discovery tiles alone, and he used some for their goods too. I had 41, only 2 in discovery tiles. I used one for a ship upgrade, kept another for a ship upgrade and never used it, and kept one for 2 points. All in all, I don’t think it was worth the points for the ion turret. I could have put a much more useful gun in that slot. The -3 shield would have been good to use, but I never got it on a ship. I should have taken the points that late. Sam finished with ~23 points, but he enjoyed the game and we believe just made a giant mistake at one point, but played very well besides that.

Oh well, live and learn. It was a good time, but the game lasted 5 hours with rules, which is way too long for a 3er, but we were all trying really hard. Of course, my moves didn’t take so long, because I had plenty of time to think while everyone else was thinking.

I made some moves that I thought were a good idea at the time but ended up not being so good, but in the end, I think I played as well as I could and simply got outplayed by Steve. I should have been exploring more. I should have upgraded differently. I should have found 6 extra points somewhere. I should have built 2 starbases instead of 3 starbases in that one hex, and then built 2 in the other one, which lost me a hex.

Did missiles win the game? No, I think inexperience LOST the game for us both. If we could have militarily competed with Steve, he would have collapsed. Since we couldn’t, Sam didn’t attack when maybe he should have.

Fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Missile-guy Steve wait to get the Center until he had his missiles? I'm curious when he bought and equipped them, and then managed to add computers too. Turn 6? 7?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve McMissile had missiles when he took the center, and some sort of computer as well. They tore through 7 hull and then I think he lost an interceptor and then they finally got it.

I think it was turn 5. Not sure though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
Did Missile-guy Steve wait to get the Center until he had his missiles? I'm curious when he bought and equipped them, and then managed to add computers too. Turn 6? 7?

Keep in mind, though, that while he had missiles, he also had plasma cannons backing it up. So it's not like you were home free if you survived the barrage. By the end, he had enough computers that he had to roll 1's to miss. Argh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ship design was extremely interesting because I had anti-matter cannons breathing down my neck with the missile threat on the other side. So I made glass cannons, because that threat was closer, but if I had done something different, we very well may have seen the game turn towards me. Basically, if I had built a cruiser that was upgraded to withstand missiles, then that would have easily been the end of the Steve onslaught. I had the materials, just ended up without the money because I took over a couple hexes. I suppose I should have done that, but then I would have taken him out, and then been killed by Sam's antimatter cannons still. Gah. 3-way battles made my head spin because there was no good way to win them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Ship design was extremely interesting because I had anti-matter cannons breathing down my neck with the missile threat on the other side. So I made glass cannons, because that threat was closer, but if I had done something different, we very well may have seen the game turn towards me. Basically, if I had built a cruiser that was upgraded to withstand missiles, then that would have easily been the end of the Steve onslaught. I had the materials, just ended up without the money because I took over a couple hexes. I suppose I should have done that, but then I would have taken him out, and then been killed by Sam's antimatter cannons still. Gah. 3-way battles made my head spin because there was no good way to win them. :P

One way to go is design your dreadnaughts for one player and cruisers for the other. Also, an 2x IH with shields design might be effective for both depending upon their exact builds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Ship design was extremely interesting because I had anti-matter cannons breathing down my neck with the missile threat on the other side. So I made glass cannons, because that threat was closer, but if I had done something different, we very well may have seen the game turn towards me. Basically, if I had built a cruiser that was upgraded to withstand missiles, then that would have easily been the end of the Steve onslaught. I had the materials, just ended up without the money because I took over a couple hexes. I suppose I should have done that, but then I would have taken him out, and then been killed by Sam's antimatter cannons still. Gah. 3-way battles made my head spin because there was no good way to win them.

One way to go is design your dreadnaughts for one player and cruisers for the other. Also, an 2x IH with shields design might be effective for both depending upon their exact builds.

I'm pretty sure shields were about to be very necessary. Unfortunately I ran out of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.