Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I decided to paint the heroes for Descent for my buddies and myself for game day coming up this weekend. Over the past 2 weeks, I've been able to find time here and there to paint my first board game. Last night I finally put all the final touches on the minis. After hearing a lot of good results for dipping, I chose to go ahead and do it. So about an hour ago, I go outside and throw in my first mini. It comes out pretty good and so I go ahead and get Leoric ready for the plunge.

I had chosen a pair of needle nose pliers to keep a hold of em while I shake them, but after a few vigorous shakes Leoric decides he doesn't like it and escapes the grasp of the pliers! And as luck would have it he goes directly into a shrub that was nearby. After a thorough search, results to provide a pollen/dirt/dead leaf infested scholar has been negative. The plant is so thick and being in an apartment complex, I'm not trying tear it up too much.

(I knew I shouldn't have dipped shake)

So there you have it, troll away! Or humor me and share any other embarrassing story and make me feel better. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Email customer service. Also, paint on the dip. You can control it a lot more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stegner
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, he didn't look Drewish before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well, your search might not have turned up anything useful but at least you get to keep the gold for your next adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll probably do the paint on dip method. I had to use a brush for the first mini as there was so much stain still on and it just drowned out the color. I'm using Minwax polyshades and it destroys the brush almost from the get go. I'll try again in a little bit after I've gathered my senses again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Oord
Netherlands
SNAKKERBUREN
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't tried it myself, but YouTube show nice results with a electrical screwdriver to get rid of the dip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't do the dip anymore, but when I did I got good results by brushing on the stain pretty thick, let it sit for a few hours, and then wipe off all the excess with a paper towel. The stain stays in the recesses while the paper towel wipes up in the highlights.

Sorry about your lost Leoric. FFG will probably replace it for you if you ask nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Noahboa wrote:
I don't do the dip anymore, but when I did I got good results by brushing on the stain pretty thick, let it sit for a few hours, and then wipe off all the excess with a paper towel. The stain stays in the recesses while the paper towel wipes up in the highlights.

Sorry about your lost Leoric. FFG will probably replace it for you if you ask nice.

I just finished up the rest of em by just brushing it on. I do like the control of it, it isn't so daunting as with seeing your little dude drenched in stain.

I'm curious though, the stain seems to get pretty sticky before long. Wouldn't wiping just smear the results and make it looks smudged? As I'm looking at them now, just 15 minutes after brushing on some stain they are looking good as is I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wick off the excess a few minutes after you paint it on. Don't let it harden and get sticky.

Just dab an absorbant substance into the extra pools of stain. You can use a q-tip, or a sliver of paper towel rolled into a micro-tube, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haaaaate the dip! It makes it basically impossible to strip the figure should you want to paint it differently (which often happens when you order second hand stuff on ebay), and the final appearance is too shiny...like that fantasy wizard just cast Oil on himself. (I think it dulls the colors a bit too.)

Use washes!
Prime --> Base colors --> Washes --> Touchups and highlights

If you want to make a decent wash, try this: 1 drop of paint, 4 drops of water, 2 drops of glue (pva/good ol' school glue). You can add an extra drop of water or so depending on the thickness of the paint. Fills in the gaps nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jester42 wrote:
Funny, he didn't look Drewish before

Pretty much what I said. After I couldn't find him off the bat, I almost said forget it without giving it any further attention. I couldn't imagine what he looks like in all the pollen from the fern that's in there (hedge). Easier just to ask for a replacement and repaint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coat with a matte finish varnish. Then it isn't shiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BodhiWolff wrote:
coat with a matte finish varnish. Then it isn't shiny.

Definitely have a can on standby once the little buggers are dry tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kennymiester wrote:

Noahboa wrote:

I just finished up the rest of em by just brushing it on. I do like the control of it, it isn't so daunting as with seeing your little dude drenched in stain.

I'm curious though, the stain seems to get pretty sticky before long. Wouldn't wiping just smear the results and make it looks smudged? As I'm looking at them now, just 15 minutes after brushing on some stain they are looking good as is I think.

Don't wipe. Use the brush to clear any excess dip right away. I usually keep an extra brush nearby to soak up any bigger pools. Then, of course, I throw away the brushes, so I try to do the dipping in batches, so I don't waste too many brushes.

Wait at least 24 hours, then spray VERY lightly with matte finish.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to dip with a shade of light brown. It kind of get the job done, but as soon as you improve your painting skills, it is not much longer to get good shading and effects with paint. I varnish with mat to protect, and it keeps my colors bright. The brown just made a lot of my work disapear in goo..

You can find some of my first ed descent in my contributions. I say the dragons, golems and demons are my favorite, and the expansions heroes.
Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadel washes: easy to use, cheaper than a can of dip, water soluble (so you can clean your brushes in the sink) and they work well.

I like saving time and money as much as the next guy, but this is a case where you really can't improve much on the product that's especially made for the purpose. Get black and brown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend The Army Painters Matt varnish (Anti Shine) worked wonders to kill the sheen on some miniatures that I previously sprayed with a can of Purity Seal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

RobertDD wrote:
Citadel washes: easy to use, cheaper than a can of dip, water soluble (so you can clean your brushes in the sink) and they work well.

I like saving time and money as much as the next guy, but this is a case where you really can't improve much on the product that's especially made for the purpose. Get black and brown.

After seeing the results of the dip and comparing the results of some of the washing that I did manage to do on some of the figures clothing, I think I'll adopt washes instead of dipping, particularly on my heroes. I can see how dipping for monsters would work well, but I prefer to have my heroes' colors vivid when they need to be.

Thanks for all the input!

I can also see how just after 8 minis my skills have improved and I can make an effect with a brush instead of later hoping that dipping will "just cover it up"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, it's a shame that fantasy is such a common genre, because painting fantasy miniatures is often such a pain! Science fiction mini's without faces (eg. vehicles and space marines) are easy, as are skeletons.

I think I'd go after the cave spiders next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cruickshanks
Norway
flag msg tools
Zzzz
badge
Chaos Incarnate
mbmbmbmbmb
Kennymiester wrote:
...but after a few vigorous shakes Leoric decides he doesn't like it and escapes the grasp of the pliers! And as luck would have it he goes directly into a shrub that was nearby. After a thorough search, results to provide a pollen/dirt/dead leaf infested scholar has been negative. The plant is so thick and being in an apartment complex, I'm not trying tear it up too much.

Very interesting new way to flock your miniatures! Mayhaps I will try it
But like people said already, don't dip, uses a lot more of the stain and is less controlled. Get a big brush and load it up, then just dab it on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Geuss
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
“Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”
~J.R.R. Tolkien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aganazer wrote:
“Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”
~J.R.R. Tolkien

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"
~Some Dragon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Doherty
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is an excellent guide for dipping your miniatures.

http://www.s-w-a-t.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=537

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have great luck with the dip method. It did darken my minis a substantial amount, but it also bubbled a bit when I tried to brush it on, and that dried very poorly, kind of screwing up a few of the heroes. Additionally, it took two or three weeks for them to dry(!), even after I patted them dry with paper towels.

Instead, I've been using a bit of an ink wash and a spray matte sealer for plastics, and it's come out 100% more predictable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Coleman
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, all is not lost. I emailed FFG and they sent a new Leoric with priority shipping. No hassle at all. Thanks FFG. Off to the painting table!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.