Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Pavone
United States
Ruby
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering what the general situation is regarding boardgamers and collectors.

Do you find yourself playing games or playing with games?

In case you don't get it, playing games involves taking out a game, setting it up and playing the game. Mostly by the rules as written. They aren't treated like sacred, holy texts. You don't go out of your way to protect them from wear and tear. They are games and that's what you do with them.

Or do you play with games. Do you open them up, read the rules and immediately start "fixing" them? Do you laminate the board, put the cards in sleeves and do everything just short of vacuum pack and store them in an inert gas in a carefully climate controlled room? Does the appearance of a greasy thumbprint on a card mean the game is ruined?

Maybe you're like me. You buy games, read the rules, fiddle with the bits and wish you had someone with whom to play the damn game? Despite your lack of opponents, do you write up new scenarios (if applicable), collect expansions and plot strategies?

If you live in or near Saugerties NY, hit me up. I'd love to play a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually, I'll crack open a game, go through it as written and play it at least once. After the first play, or during it, we'll take notes, invent counters, etc. whatever needs to be done to eases play. Some games, like Clash of Arms, generally include everything players need. However, most games can always be 'stepped up' with a few charts, markers, etc. BBG is great for additions to games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself tinker with games at a 3:1 ratio of actually playing them, mostly coming up with solo variants, and to a lesser extent adding or subtracting rules to tailor things just how I like. It's fascinating to me when I accidentally "break" a game with my noodling around and have to tinker in a different direction.

A good part of my collection at the moment consists of games I have yet to fully play through. There's something missing from them, some little gap in the equation that keeps me from enjoying them. Half my pleasure in the hobby comes from musing upon what's missing, what I can "fix", what I can add or subtract in a quest to fuse the designer's intentions with my own tastes. Each game has become an unfinished crafts project, something that I will one day have a (clumsy) hand in completing. 

Thankfully I subject no other players to my Frankensteining!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know exactly what you mean. I tend to play with my games more. I collect them, sleeve the cards, read the rules, then have no one to play with.

Sometimes I'll get a game because it looks really cool, but in reality is just too big and drawn out to enjoy solo or get others interested in playing.

So the end result is usually just fiddling with the bits and making player aids and variants. At least those I can share with others on the geek.

Also why most the games I buy now are either specifically for solitaire or have solitaire variants. I usually prefer official solitaire rules, but if there is a good enough fan made one, I might pick up the game based on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They aren't treated like sacred, holy texts. You don't go out of your way to protect them from wear and tear. They are games and that's what you do with them.

BLASPHEME

Quote:
Or do you play with games. Do you open them up, read the rules and immediately start "fixing" them? Do you laminate the board, put the cards in sleeves and do everything just short of vacuum pack and store them in an inert gas in a carefully climate controlled room? Does the appearance of a greasy thumbprint on a card mean the game is ruined?

Hmmm...I'll sleeve cards if it's a game that's worth it (Kingdom of Heaven, yes, Junta, not so much). I'll razor blade the counters out, use an emory board to lovingly trim them individually, and maintain a counter inventory control bordering on Rainmanism. Wapner time.

But no, I don't laminate stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I gt games to play them. I have four unplayed sets right now: 3 I need figure out properly and I I received for review but whose theme I find in extreemly bad taste.

While I'll not swear to it, I fully intend to play those games ASAP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play games, every game i have i have played(with another human i think).

I wont buy a game unless i have some one to play it with.

So, as as result some games i like.. I probably wont get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kuzava
United States
Minooka
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually find a game I want to play and buy it. Then I'll subject my son to it. He decides if we get to play it again. I have sleeved the cards for games we play a lot like Agricola and Castle Panic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's an either/or situation. I play more than I play with, but I definitely do both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I don't think it's an either/or situation. I play more than I play with, but I definitely do both.

This.

It depends on the game. Dominant Species I take excessively good care of, because it's quite expensive, and may be hard to replace down the road if it gets worn out.

Settlers on the other hand, I just play and don't worry about it. In a couple of years when it wears out, I'll just buy another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Yes, this, it's all fun...I even look for how I can use components for my own designing...Also part of the fun. So is playing the game!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Brennick
United States
Lewiston
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I guess I do a bit of both. I have several games that I have bought that I haven't even played yet, mostly because I can't get my gaming friends together as often as I would like. I will play all of the games in my collection eventually though. laugh

I don't usually sleeve the cards in games, although I made an exception with Super Dungeon explore because the cards were really thin and I din't want them to become damaged with lots of playing (my nephews love that game!). I have a couple of other games that have fairily thin cards as well, so I will probably be sleeving some more games in the future.

I also like to organize the games with a ton of counters to make them easier to manage. I currently use these lil Flambeau plastic organizer boxes (Model: 4007) because they fit well inside all of the game boxes I've used them for and the dividers are slotted so you can change the compartment sizes.

I've also begun painting the pieces of a lot of my games. I'm not good at painting and haven't any skill with color theory, but even so I think the games look really nice with painted pieces...so I will eventually paint most if not my whole collection.

So right now, I guess I am playing more -with- games...but play the same games whenever I have a chance....which is not often enough dangit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.