Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
This is a variant where the OL gets one or more Anti Hero (AH) forming a Villain side. This variant can be used for any number of players above 4 in descent.

1) The heroes counts as having one less member than normal per AH for effects negative to them E.g Monster group size and amount of Overlord cards drawn at the start. Otherwise they count normally E.g quest awards. For the game to work then the amount of heroes subtracted by the amount of anti heroes must be a number from 2 to 4 as monster groups would not be working otherwise. For example 4 heroes oposed by 2 AHs + OL would be OK resulting in a monster group size of 2.

3) When starting the campaign the AHs chooses Hero and class first.

4) Any AH abilities affecting monsters or Heroes in general works Ok for AHs but are of course reversed so abilities affecting monsters instead affects heroes and vice versa. Heroes that have abilities that only affects a subset of monsters does not work for an anti hero e.g an ability that affects only minions adversely thus such heroes should be avoided when an AH picks witch hero to play.

5) An antiHero counts as an OL Lieutenant for abilities. They are not considered lieutenants but generic monsters for quest instructions as any quest with special rules targeting lieutenants may brake otherwise having AHs as extra lieutenants.

6) Before starting an encounter the OL decides if any vilain obtained artifacts are used by the OL with the OL side up or any AH with the Hero side up.

7) The AHs are placed with a monster group or adjacent to a lieutenant as decided by the AH.

8) Place search tokens equal to the amount of heroes. In quests without unique search tokens also add the amount of AHs. If it's a number that exeeds 4 then the OL places the extra ones the following rules:
a) The search token should be placed at least 5 squares from any AH.'
b) The search token should be placed at least 5 squares from any other search token.
c) The search token should be placed next to a wall.
If it is not possible then the OL should follow just a&b, then just a, then just b&c then just b then just c and then skipping the rules if it still is not possible and placing the token anywhere.

9) If there is more than 4 heroes then place the extra hero as close as possible to the entrance.

10) The AHs may pick up standard generic search tokens. In scenarios with hidden unique tokens the AHs may not search until all those have been revealed.

11) The AHs may attack with all their actions.

12) An AHs that gets knocked down gives no reward to the heroes.

13) An hero that gets knocked down by an AH grants no card to the OL.

14) The heroes and AHs may not loot each others knocked down figures.

15) The AHs are unaffected by OL cards.

16) If the quest have an area where monsters may be reinforced then an AH may opt to be teleported there when standing up.

17) If the OL wins the quest then the AHs gets the award listed for a winning hero team.

18) If the OL loses the quest then the AHs gets the award listed for a losing hero team.

19) The AHs shops first between quests.

I have not tested yet so please provide any feedback

Edits:
* Added AH may attack with all actions
* Clarified AHs being restricted to generic monsters for special quest rules after feedback from The RedEye. Thanks!
* Added restriction on searching for quests with unique search token
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
RedEye have posted a similar variant see http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/839550/redeyes-67-player-var...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Angeles

New York
msg tools
mb
I really don't like AH being able to search. That breaks some scenarios. And the heroes REALLY need the benefit fom them. The AH on the other hand can just coast by to aid the OL. The AH already stacks towards OL. Heroes need to be stronger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I am not convinced the searches by the AHs would lead to less money for the Heroes. The AH will be forced with the same dilemma as the Heroes that have to decide if going for the objective or the money. The the AH run around searching then the Heroes should have an easy time with the objective due to the decreased monster group size and less party size for negative effects. There is also more search tokens than normal with this variant. Another aspect is that if the AHs cannot search then they will soon be under geared in comparison to the Heroes.

Why do you think the AHs would coast by with the aid of the OL? In my variant the OL caanot affect the AHs with OL cards. There might be some monster ability that might aid the AHs though but they are probably less than the arsenal of a developed hero party.

My fear is the opposite, that the Heroes can naturally synergate better and that the AH just becomes a speed bump.

This will become apparent when playing I guess.

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep a red eye on this whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Angeles

New York
msg tools
mb
It's not the money or reward for searches, it's objectives that make it broken. imagine dawn blade being found by the ah first cuz he's closer. The mission is literally broken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
The AHs may only pick up standard generic search tokens or make searches pick/ups that are not restricted.

In the Dawnblade scenario it restricts picking up the blade to Sir Alric Farrow or a master monster. The AHs are not considered a master monster so they may not pick up or be given the blase. If the OL wins the scenario then it might be assigned to an AH. A bit gamey I know but as you say allowing AHs to make special searches may brake scenarios.

The intent is to make the AHs on equal footing to the Heroes in the generic search token race. As the AHs are considered Luitenants and there might be some scenario that restricts on that thus braking so I added a search restriction to my list of rules. Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Angeles

New York
msg tools
mb
So what do you do in those scenarios where the search tokens are random including the unique ones Anne no one is suppose to know? It doesn't really work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Good catch. I added restrictions for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.