Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
I notice that the CoB Rules have an addendum for the Solo Rules.

Quote:
In solo Thunderstone, we recommend you don't
use cards that rearrange the dungeon deck or
dungeon hall. These cards are:

● Bhoidwood (ToR)
● Deepstrider (ToR)
● Ranger's Wilderness Map (ToR)
● Imp (ToR)
● Dire Wolf (ToR)
● Tuath (CoB)

I was wondering if anyone from AEG would care to comment of this addendum. I was wondering why was it done, and for that matter, why the Ranger Avatar wasn't included on the list.

I know we can always play how we wish (especially since this is a solo version) but I found that moving the monsters around as an interesting part of the solo game. I found that a number of times during a game, I would notice an excellent move that required (typically) the movement of monsters within the Dungeon Hall. Removing this ability, for me, removes an active part of the way I play, one that I enjoyed.

I was wondering if this was done to make the solo game harder or if re-arranging the monsters might cause rules or logic loopholes in the future (for example, in the proposed Co-operative version due to be released with the next expansion).

When I first saw the addendum, I thought it was to redefine how to deal with the ToR Kobolds, especially those with negative victory point. I liked the idea that the Kobold's card text "you may place it into any player's discard pile" could also include the Monster Score Pile as a player's discard pile and that escaped (negative) Kobold cards would be placed in your discard pile instead of the Monster Score Pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree! I enjoy manipulating the monster sequence in the dungeon. As you say, we can decide for ourselves how to play the solitaire game and I shall certainly ignore the addendum. It is only a recommendation after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played any solo game without the ranger avatar. i think moving the dungeon around is part of the puzzle. it does make for an easy game though, which I don't mind in this case because I worked hard to win, by manipulating the dungeon. without dungeon manipulation it would feel linear and ruthless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
I notice that the CoB Rules have an addendum for the Solo Rules.

Oh, now I know where that portion in the German rules of ToR is coming from! After comparing German and English rulebook of ToR I had thought the German publisher added that bit by himself, but so the English rules have it in CoB.

xris wrote:

I was wondering why was it done

At least for Deepstrider, Ranger's Wilderness Map and Tuath, it seems to make a lot of sense to rather not use them in solo play as an important part of their abilities is to be able to move monsters to the bottom of the dungeon deck and this is not allowed in solo games (as per p. 38 of the ToR rules).

However, I have no idea why they recommend to leave out Bhoidwood, Imp and Dire Wolf as they only affect the order of the monsters in the dungeon hall. I can see no problem with that in solo games.

Instead, I think they should recommend not using Aird as that is strongly impaired in solo games - the village ability of the level 1s and 2s is considerably weakened and the otherwise very strong dungeon ability of the level 3s is not usable at all without other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.