Gunship: First Strike!» Forums » News

Subject: More Pics - Gunship MkII Cards, Upgrades and More! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C East
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it is not even Friday yet but here is some more news via kickstarter. I wonder how Steve is going to keep us entertained for the next 2+ months. I am sure that he has a few tricks up his sleeves.

Escape Pod Games wrote:
Didn't I say a while back no more updates until the games are at sea? Sorry but there is a LOT going on at the moment and I'm excited to share things as they are completed.

Here are the final cards for the Gunship MkII, which goes into print soon.

These will be available SOON for Preorder!

I left the 3 Armor cards out so you could see more of the ship but if I was playing a game with this one I would Armor the Autoblaster, Power Generator and Bomb Bay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C East
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So all that looks pretty nice. I assume that the MkII follows the same rules as the MkI with upgrades and the like (i.e., it does not all ways come with the bomb bay or does it? I didn't see any T-Bombs for the wing locations). It also seems funny, to me, that the B-Cannon in the wing location has two guns but does one hit. If I understand your cards correctly, the missile pod lunches 3 missiles at the enemy Gunship and roll for hits. Just like T-Bombs on a carrier. I assume that they can't be used on a carrier as well (due to lack of symbol). I also assume that they can be evaded using the correct card from you hand, one per card. I am sure that I am missing a couple of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
hzfreelancer wrote:
So all that looks pretty nice. I assume that the MkII follows the same rules as the MkI with upgrades and the like (i.e., it does not all ways come with the bomb bay or does it? I didn't see any T-Bombs for the wing locations). It also seems funny, to me, that the B-Cannon in the wing location has two guns but does one hit. If I understand your cards correctly, the missile pod lunches 3 missiles at the enemy Gunship and roll for hits. Just like T-Bombs on a carrier. I assume that they can't be used on a carrier as well (due to lack of symbol). I also assume that they can be evaded using the correct card from you hand, one per card. I am sure that I am missing a couple of things.

This is just one that I had fun "building" today at lunch. I wanted the Blaster Cannons to have a slightly different look so I figured they could be Dual Light Blaster Cannons that fire two quick shots that do a total of one damage. Not sure if renaming them for the card is necessary as it may cause more confusion than its worth...
Nope, MkIIs do not have traditional Bombs on Wings but the Bomb Bay is highly recommended. Here is how the Missile Pod works...

It is used against Carriers only (and later, other capital ships of course!) It fires its three rounds which require the roll of the dice. Hits are scored for each Bullseye that comes up. THEN, the card is flipped to the other side, which has the same thing in a different color (all MkII cards will be 2-sided in this way so you get two sets in one) It takes one turn to do this and the Missile Pod may fire AGAIN on the next turn. If it is fired again it is considered empty. So each Missile Pod has 6 actual missiles! Now this may seem a bit TOO powerful but I have created the following rules for it:

Missile Pods are not nearly as accurate or powerful as Bombs. You may not play any bullseye cards for automatic hits.

You may not modify damage from a Missile Pod

Missile Pods may not be used against Carrier Shields

It takes 3 Repair Actions to reload a Missile Pod

These will REALLY be fun when we get to ground combat. Picture these things strafing enemy tanks and other ground targets a la Vietnam-era Huey Gunships (already in "mental" development so don't even THINK it!)

One other thing regarding the MkIIs - I'm starting new work on Campaign Play and I figure that since you get 3 Carriers you should get 2 standard Gunships and 1 MkII. This is assuming the players own 2 sets of the MkII, which everyone will, since all of the "cool" Gunship fans will have them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One last thing...

I added a nice Ionized effect to the Ion Pod. It helps to make it stand out better and I'll post a pic tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool stuff, I really do like the completed MK II.

But I do think that the ionized effect on the Ion Battery is a bit much, as it looks like it has already ionized itself... ^.^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's helpful in the game to see that blue to remind you of these things. That's why Ion cannons always have that little Ion shot coming from them on the Weapon Cards. Trust me, when you get the Ionized cards in your hand, the brain makes the connection. Especially useful for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.