Popular Tags: [View All]
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was tinkering with the idea of adding a single Dreadnought spanning over 2 cards which have to be placed next to each other into the mix. One Part (I) would carry an assault canon or something like this (Range 3) the other (Part II) would be a close combat orientated weapon like a Powerfist(Range 0)
Commands:
Move & Activate: Dread moves as a single unit. Marine that swaped position can change facing. When Dread changes facing, Parts swap position
Spoiler (click to reveal)
This means when Positioning is like this:
Part I →
Part II→
then after facing change it would be
← Part II
← Part I

Support: Marines at Range 2 without a support marker can cancel any attack against them when Dreadnought resigns from attacking next turn
Attack: Part I always makes double the amount of kills as normal
Part II can kill superior enemies when dice roll is higher than the size of the attacked swarm
Spoiler (click to reveal)
means it can kill Broodlords and the like without killing the swarm first

Special Rule: When one part is killed remove the other one too

What do you think?
Flashhawk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechanically it sounds pretty interesting though facing off against four swarms with one asset might be pretty brutal.

Thematically it's a hard sell since these corridors are supposed to be barely able to squeeze in a terminator suit hence the rigid formation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
navajas wrote:
Mechanically it sounds pretty interesting though facing off against four swarms with one asset might be pretty brutal.

Thematically it's a hard sell since these corridors are supposed to be barely able to squeeze in a terminator suit hence the rigid formation.

I share Navajas concerns and his interest as well. I would love to try it out but 4 swarms at a time seams like a quick death to the mighty Dreadnought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the others have pointed out, it doesn't fit there. There is not much that can be added, when talking about reasonable stuff. Heck, I can only think of another Space Marine chapters.

But as a game enhancement, it looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still would love to try it thought. Maybe some special skill could balance it out maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we could say that a kill on either part doesn't kill the whole Dread... To indicate the kill you flip the card upside down. You can not attack with this part but still defend. A second kill on the damaged part kills both parts, a first kill on the other part renders the dread unmovable or not attack able but can still defend. This way the dread has 3 to 4 Hitpoints before he goes down... I will throw some prototype together and post it in here. Would be fun to make this work.
And to all who say there is not enough room in the Hulk: remember this?
Flashhawk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok slapped something together and did a small edit on the attack Action:

Image of the Dread has been taken off the internet without permission. If someone objects, please inform me, i will take it down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did a test fight with it. Solo game with the 2-4 Player start card. 3 random teams and the Dread. Never used the defending special ability of the Dreadnought and since it was the Fire Control end card I had no use for the direct kill ability of the left arm. But the assault canon was useful. Major problem of the Dread is the "2 slots, same direction" thing. When you get enemies at your flank, your screwed. But i was able to fight everything off till room 3. Then the Dreadnought (played with the 2 Hit-point rule mentioned above) was killed. I won eventually with only 3 Marines standing and a lucky dice roll for the fire control. Since 4 swarms were left at that point i rolled an attack for them just for fun and only 1 Marine (in the last attack) was killed because he had not support markers left... I just wanted to know if i had survived to see another round if the fire control throw would have been a miss. I think the Dread is fun to play and leaves a little more to think about in positioning. I will sure have to look into the "multiple slot enemies" that are included in Raven's expansion.
I would real like to hear anybodies ideas. Oh i updated the picture because i forgot the "role a dice" rule on the attack card...
Have fun
Flashhawk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it looks really interesting, though you may want to fix the typo on the Left Arm (Emporer) and change the Support marker into Support token on the Support action card to keep the terminology.

Since Dreadnoughts can have variable weapon configuration, you may make several versions (and add Attack action cards for each such configuration) to make it more varied.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Marine_Dreadnought#Arm...

Also because we have Blood Angels and Dark Angels in game, the Furioso and Mortis variants may be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Terms of a Deathwing Dreadnought i thought of a Furioso with 2 Flamers for Arms (Inferno Canons would be better, but than we had a Player who could destroy terrain cards instead of just Genestealers or Nids... not quite as intended )

Range 1 for both Arms

Attack:
Kills 2 Genestealers per Skull
Spend a support token to make an additional attack
When Sidestepped: Can attack both sides of the formation, but only in viewing direction and in the slot it resides.

Moving& Activate
Moves as a unit, SM swapped this way may change facing.
May do Sidestep.

Support:
If Death Watch Marines are part of the formation, you may place an additional support token on them

Special Rules:
Sidestepping renders the Dread unswappable in terms of being moved by other Marines moving action.
Everything behind the Dreadnought shifts when he sidesteps.
When unstepping, locations and marines are unshifted, swarms are divided according to a dice roll.
Formation may not travel when Dreadnought looks in the direction of the rear guard. Instead you fight till he turns around or is killed.
If the Dreadnought is threatened to be killed, you may sacrifice an adjacent Deathwatch Marine to prevent this.

What is Sidestepping?: Put both cards of the Dreadnought onto each other, one arm facing to the left, one to the right. This means the Dreadnought stands in the middle of the corridor, blocking way for marines to switch places with him.
He can not attack into his rear, so only swarms ahead of or next to him are valid targets.
When the right arm points left and the left arm points to the right, he is looking at the end of the formation and therefor would have to walk backwards when traveling, which he simply can not do.
You can only sidestep 90° at time. So when the Dread faces the end of the formation and you want him to turn around to face the first marine of the formation, you have to do it in 2 move steps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my ideas about possible weapons:
-Dreadnought CCW: range 1 (=both Dread's positions and both adjacent). On range 1 it works as any standard marine attack, skull = hit. This is the storm bolter mounted on his arm. Another possibility is flamer, then keep the range and it will kill dice roll /3, rounded up GS. I think 2 possible kills is enough for one of his attacks and I don't want to turn him into another Zael. On range 0 (=both positions of his body) it stuns the swarm, as well as kills one (or two) GS.

-twin-linked heavy bolter or autocannon: range 2, two atacks

-plasma cannon: range 2, on hit killsup to two or three GS from a single swarm

-assault cannon: range 2 or 3, three attacks

-lascannon: range 3, kills a single GS, the player chooses which one, even elite Tyranids (except Trygon and Broodlord to keep them being a threat).

In case of Mortis Dreadnought, he will have two of the allowed weapons (twin-linked heavy bolter, assault cannon, twin-linked lascannon).

I haven't tested it, these are just a few ideas how to keep him varied with changing his weapon loadout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian AssaultMarine
Poland
flag msg tools
First of all - great job with that cards and the whole idea.

I doubt I can get them as good as You but I'll try to make another approach to that (need some free time though)

Dreadnought in close combat cannot be hit in the back (since he can rotate his body) - that's tabletop and I belive that could be his advatage in DA.

To even that up he can be one card (sized as 2 SM another card sized as 1 only for the purpose of determine his place at the beginning) and flipping him still would make sense for his weapons could only attack at corresponding side.
(assault range 3 and close combat weapon could get an attack against both swarms at that side).
He cannot operate control panel, door etc. (he can stil fire to that tanks
One HP to immobile him so no one is able to switch places with him, he cannot move but can still rotate(yeah he may block that precious control panel) Second HP to put him down (player can self destruct taking one chosen swarm with him - to avoid "control panel blocked" situation)

Support
additional support token on the dreadnought.
He got +1 on defence rolls

Move
Can move up to 2 spots - rol a dice for every swarm on his way
(including that on final position) for every skull remove 1 enemy
Immobile - can only rotate and try to fix himself
selfrepair - remove support token to roll a die on a roll of 5 he is repaired

Attack
Must remove support token to attack
Can make an attack with both weapons
asault range 3 fire 4 times
cc weapon range 0 remove 2 for each skull

I'll try him out with dummy cards over the weekend to see if it is worth
to make his card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words!
I was thinking about a DA Scriptor Dreadnought the other day, and had some ideas about special abilities but not how they could be implemented..

Mindbend: A swarm the Dreadnought is facing attacks another swarm at range 1 on the same side of the formation. They are subtracted from each other. (so from 1 3GS swarm and 1 2GS Swarm only 1GS remains). Roll higher than the swarm count.

Enemy Attraction: A Swarm moves 1 position towards the Dreadnought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.