Justin Conte
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
I try to keep my boardgames to one, maybe 2 similar games. I don't get the chance to play a ton, though I will keep a few more if they are good for 2 players as I'm able to play with my girlfriend much more often than with a group. She got me Dominion for Xmas but we haven't opened it yet, but on vacation on a whim we picked up Thunderstone Advance. She has enjoyed it, other than the fact that the "final battle" always seems a bit cut and dry, without and tension about victory or not (I actually think she'd prefer a dice element in this regard). I'm curious if you think it's worth keeping Dominion. I know it has a much weaker theme, but better gameplay, but for just the 2 of us, that's not a major concern. Do you think the 2 are different enough to be worthwhile keeping both for a bit of a lighter gamer (not by my design, I simply don't get enough opportunity, and my friends aren't interested in heavier games, with family I can't even get them to play TTR).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If youre only concern is how alike they are, then I would just keep Thunderstone Advance. The basic gameplay for Dominion would be a lot like going to the Village every turn in Thunderstone Advance.

I also feel that Thunderstone Advance is the superior game. It has more depth, a better theme, and in general better gameplay. If you don't mind selling it for a bit less, then I would go ahead and open and play Dominion and figure out which of the games you like better. If your goal is to just sell it still wrapped, then my suggestion would be to keep Thunderstone Advance.

I have played both (though only the base set for Dominion), so if you do have any questions about comparisons feel free to ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Dominion, but to me Thunderstone offers a richer gaming experience. Thunderstone gives me more things to consider each turn other than "do I buy a province now or wait a few more hands".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kali Fitzgerald
United States
Black Earth
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer Thunderstone. I love the theme and mechanics.
But I do have a brother-in-law that didn't really like Thunderstone but loved Dominion. I'm still a little unclear why - he loves dungeon crawl type themes.

If you really only play just the two of you I'd go with Thunderstone Advance. If you're looking at ever having a chance where you need something to play with family members or other people who need a somewhat lighter game, then keep Dominion for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.