Subject: New to Ascension What should I start with? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Im just hearing about this wonderful game and was wondering where I should start. Thanks..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have an iPhone/iPod/iPad? If so, start with the app. It's cheap and will let you decide if you like the game. In app purchases will let you try out the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with the first one. It's got all the basic stuff and works fine.

The alternative is to start with Storm of Souls, which is also a complete game in itself, it is a little more complex, I understand, also the art is a bit better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you are looking to play with only 2 players, you can just get Return of the Fallen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tullis
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say start with the base game: Chronicle. I started there, it's a great time. After that, then you can worry about the expansion packs. If you do have an ipad, though, I hear (I don't own one) that the game on the iPad is a blast. I have people to play with, though, often, including a willing spouse, so I'm happy with having the physical copy. Later, I bought Return of the Fallen as an add-on to it, and have been enjoying that as well. Good gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard a couple of comments saying base game is bit unbalanced due to the sheer strength you get from the various Mechana constructs (IIRC, many of the mechana constructs are "always on" and work well in that regard) makes the game a bit unbalanced. There are synegies with the mechana constructs from other sets, but the "power alignment" isn't as out of whack there (although worth noting, exp#1 RotF has fewer cards being a small exp).

That being said, that comment seems true, but I would still start off with CotG too (base game). And as a disclaimer, that's the way I did it too.... I played CotG when it was just the base game, and then managed to play the exp later on (vast majority of my games have been through Ipod Touch). The disclaimer was to note that there may be that bias growing on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
I also started with the iDevice version on my iPOD. That got me hooked. But I went ahead and bought Ascension: Storm of Souls. That one has a wonderful box, and it can be played standalone as it has all the components for the game, and it also has solo play!!! I think the Solo play drew me to it. I call it Ascension 2.0. Whenever I bring it out to game day we always get it played.

The game is pretty easy to learn, and if you've played any deck building games, like Dominion, this one will be really easy to play.

If you're thinking of getting expansions, get Ascension the base set.
If you're thinking of just have 1 game, then get Storm of Souls.

But definitely start with the iDevice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Storm of Souls. It's the more refined version of Chronicle of the Godslayer. The new rule additions make it more complex and successful strategies more rewarding.

Also if you want to learn it, you can just leave the extra stuff, like Fate, Events and Trophy Monsters out in your first games and add them gradually, as you see fit.

But I agree with the other posts: If you have an iPad, that's the perfect way to start and get hooked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hillman
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd also recommend Storm of Souls - The division of abilities between the factions, each with their various drawbacks, is more interestingly thematic, the art is better, and the interactions of the cards are slightly less overpowered. SOS is uncomplicated enough to be considered a gateway game in itself, so I personally wouldn't worry too much about being overwhelmed. The expansion for that set (Immortal Heroes) is also just round the corner, and looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
storm of souls has enough extra complexity that id recommend it to start only if you and those you want to play it are "gamers". if you are looking to try and get true non-gamers to play with you, CotG is a much better set, as its more vanilla with less complexity, but its still deeper than it appears and has good replay value, and is not a terrible "gateway" strategy card game. I got my nongamer girlfriend into it with the base and she really grew to like it, and have a hunch it wouldnt have gone so well if id used Storm of SOuls, as it was challenging to her at first without gaming background, though now she happily enjoys that expansion too.

i dont recommend RotF as your only game, and i dont love the 2 p only version with just it, but its great mixed in. mileage may vary.

they all mix well, and if you like it, youll likely get em all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.