Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Thunderstone Advance: Caverns of Bane» Forums » General

Subject: Missing Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my Caverns of Bane set today and I found it was missing one of the Historian village cards.

I just wrote to AEG to see if they can send me a replacement card...but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue as well (or was I just unlucky?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. It seems when I am unlucky, I am REALLY unlucky. I just got a reply back that says that AEG is at Gencon and I will not even get a real reply back until August 22nd. So now...even if they do send the card, I probably won't get it until next month.

Peachy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just unlucky. I had an extra hero card (Forcemage?) which means someone else is probably short one. Cards stick and someone gets unlucky.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DLongo wrote:
Ah. It seems when I am unlucky, I am REALLY unlucky. I just got a reply back that says that AEG is at Gencon and I will not even get a real reply back until August 22nd. So now...even if they do send the card, I probably won't get it until next month.

Peachy.


You're missing one, not all of them, correct? Hard to believe you'd run out of a stack of those in a game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
jkayati wrote:
DLongo wrote:
Ah. It seems when I am unlucky, I am REALLY unlucky. I just got a reply back that says that AEG is at Gencon and I will not even get a real reply back until August 22nd. So now...even if they do send the card, I probably won't get it until next month.

Peachy.


You're missing one, not all of them, correct? Hard to believe you'd run out of a stack of those in a game.


I thought I was missing a Historian too, but it turns out that a bunch of the cards were not grouped together. Once I sorted everything and made sure no cards were sticking together, I found the missing Historian (and several other seemingly missing cards as well).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's like they had one large pile of every card, and then just bunched them together at arbitrary points, so that the bottom of one group has a few of a type of card that are continued at the top of another group.

And I ended up with one extra Taproot Blade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
DoomTurtle wrote:
Yeah, it's like they had one large pile of every card, and then just bunched them together at arbitrary points

I noticed that with the ToR set and it was the same with CoB.

With mine, I had three Historians in one pack and five in the other. If you are wondering why in the heck I would remember this, it's not that I remember but I noticed that the bow of these eight cards are different and I can tell them apart at the moment. No doubt that once they get shuffled a bit the slight bow (curve) will disappear.

Mind, I doubt if the Historian will hardly ever see active duty in my hands as I think it's one of the somewhat pointless cards I doubt I would waste a valuable Buy opportunity and clog up my hand with something that I don't think is much use apart from in some rather situational environments.

So maybe the OP isn't so unlucky. If one card was missing from my deck, I wouldn't loose too much sleep from the fact it was the Historian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have not played the new set yet...so I am not sure what value people will place on the card. I do admit that I did notice that there were several cards in this new set that I thought were horrible design choices, things that I nor my game club friends would ever use. (I do not want to name them here...in chances of starting an endless debate on the issue). But offhand, I do not remember thinking that the Historian card was so bad. I will have to go back and look when I play the game today.

In any case, I got 3 Historian cards in one pack and 4 in another. I even went separately through each card before sleeving them...and tested them to see whether two cards were stuck together. No luck though.

And while some folks may say "ah, I will never need that card"...anyone who knows me....knows that is NOT me. If I am supposed to have it, I simply MUST have it. (Plus, I paid for it...it's not like someone's dog ate it...LOL).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
xris wrote:
Mind, I doubt if the Historian will hardly ever see active duty in my hands as I think it's one of the somewhat pointless cards I doubt I would waste a valuable Buy opportunity and clog up my hand with something that I don't think is much use apart from in some rather situational environments.


You'd say know to free XP, with no cap on how much you can earn? More for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
darquil wrote:
You'd say know to free XP, with no cap on how much you can earn? More for me.

Each to their own I guess. After all, when I first saw the Chapel card in Dominion, I couldn't understand why anyone in the world would want such a card in their hand

Last time I checked, XP doesn't win you the game directly. While it's nice to get early XP, Historian isn't transparent XP, it clogs up a card in your hand and it's rather slow as it's only 1 XP. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to making it work but on its own I would prefer to buy nearly any other card (say 90% of them) over this. I think I would prefer to Rest or Prepare than using a Village action if it was just to purchase a Historian. The draw an extra card for next turn is more worthwhile so I guess it's not totally useless.

Anyway, this is all off-topic to the intended subject so I won't further whinge and whine about my personal valuation of a card Apologies!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL...that's okay. I knew the debate would start eventually anyway. Heck, I want someone to tell me how I am going to use the new dwarf hero effectively...you know, the one that kills all of his hero friends...and sometimes even himself? I mean, that's great for regulars (or militia)...but eventually I think he'd kill everyone else off. Anyway......

On the plus side, I did just get an email from AEG saying they would send me out the missing card. Now I just hope it came from someone not at Gencon...so I can get it quickly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
DLongo wrote:
Heck, I want someone to tell me how I am going to use the new dwarf hero effectively...you know, the one that kills all of his hero friends...and sometimes even himself? I mean, that's great for regulars (or militia)...but eventually I think he'd kill everyone else off.


Well, at Level 3 she returns to the top of your deck, ready to fight again. Which makes her a perpetual one-dwarf dungeon-wrecking machine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
DLongo wrote:
LOL...that's okay. I knew the debate would start eventually anyway. Heck, I want someone to tell me how I am going to use the new dwarf hero effectively...you know, the one that kills all of his hero friends...and sometimes even himself? I mean, that's great for regulars (or militia)...but eventually I think he'd kill everyone else off.

Stock your hand with the biggest weapons you can (so your deck consists of 30% to 40% weapons) and just wait for the Disowned Bloodrager to appear. You might want to stock the deck with 10% to 20% light sources as well or you could just ignore the darkness and take the penalty

She will appear every hand from now on (due to her aftermath ability) so as long as you avoid the "Destroy a Hero" monsters, she should bag a Monster nearly every turn. You could come unstuck on some of the Thunderstone Bearers mind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Longo
United States
Bayville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I cannot say how disappointed I am. It's been over two weeks since I got the email from AEG saying that I would get my missing card.

No card yet.......
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We did have the entire staff at Gen Con. Give it another week and then send a ping.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.