Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Evans
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,
Simple question - not sure if it is just me.

When I play this game - me and my opponent have a hard time distinguishing which unit is which on the battlefield (refering to the squads) whether it be our own squads or our opponents.

FYI - I only have the original core set (non premium/non painted edition) - and the first set of expansion squads (which was basically more of the same squads from the original set)

Have any other of you Dust players run into this issue - and if so - any suggestions to help resolve it.
I have thought about photocopying the squad card - and cutting out the name and just placing with the squad (but this kind of takes away from the "visual" of the game)

Thanks in advance

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah Terry
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put colored rubberbands around the bases. Each squad gets it's own color, and heroes get white.

You can check out this video to see more, it's about half way through the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kNtIMKQwSM&list=UU3dljxNsyOv...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

Having the units painted makes a huge difference. I focus on the weapon configurations.

If you don't want to paint the minis, you could at least paint the bases different colors for different squads. Or put different colored stickers on the bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree that painting the squads makes a HUGE dif , even if the uniforms are the same color , because the helmets and faces are different . if you are not a painter , then i would suggest 2 other paint related options .

put a dot of paint in one of the bolt recesses at the back of the base , using the same color for all the figures in the same squad , and a different color for units of another type : i use black dots for recon , red for battle grenadiers , blue for laser grenadiers , etc .....

one of my players paints one of the shoulder pads on each figure , likewise using a different color for each squad type .

i also use a metallic permanent marker to mark the squads number on the bottom of the base because i have multiples of each squad , so i put 1 under the bases of the 5 members of the first squad , 2 under the members of the second , etc......... and mark the corresponding cards with the appropriate numbers . it makes it easier to keep track of who has used their limited ammo weapons and abilities .

for my walkers , i have applied decals to number each walker differently so i can again tell who is what card .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have place a small marker of a different color for each squad on their bases.

Painting the minis themselves is still the best way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the others have said, paint them. I paint each type with a different scheme ranging from all white for the recon up to all panzer grey for the laser grenadiers. Even if you don't paint them you will get to know your units by their weapons after a few games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Painting is the best way. I've painted all my squads in their own unique scheme and also made the squad bases each in a different style. They are all immediately identifiable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Schmidt
United States
VANCOUVER
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I painted the right shoulder pad of each unit a different color and then put a dot of that color on their corresponding card. It helped a great deal and was very quick work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Albarran
United States
Utuado
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
Here is a really good tip

Look for the backpacks on the recon boys, the goggles on the gunners and the shotguns and flame throwers on the other ones.

For the axis check for lasers on one unit, the rockets and bazooka in the other and last the ones without mask.

Is simple and easy and you dont have to modify anything.

Hope it helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Color makes a HUGE difference in recognizing them more quickly.

• paint them, or
• paint their bases, or
• paint the outer rim of their bases, or
• place them on a colored base disc, or
• put a tiny colored wooden cube on their bases, or
• try some other form of "color grouping" identification

Put the same indicator on their unit card and it'll be even easier to spot the card for the unit, too.

Even those little post-it "flags" in different colors can be adhered temporarily to the bottom of a base! Do a google search on "post it flags" and you'll turn up a lot of choices. For a small price, you get some pretty flexible color markings. I've seen them in up to 7 colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.