1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion: Dark Ages» Forums » General

Subject: Ranking the Dominion sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bee Jay
Australia
flag msg tools
Thought I'd move all the posts regarding ranking Dominion expansions from here http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/839447/previews-4-rats-pilla... to here. Rank the previous expansions and comment on the exciting new Dark Ages expansion and how you think it will hold up against the current Dominion sets.

aarongreen50 wrote:
OK, just curious, how would people rank the Dominion sets? I guess I'm not a purist, mine would go:

1. Prosperity
2. Seaside
3. Cornucopia
4. Intrigue
5. Hinterlands
6. Original (maybe this should get bonus points for starting it all, though!)
7. Alchemy (which I rank last, at least compared to other Dominion sets of superior quality, but which would rank moderately compared with other board games of excellent quality, and would even rank excellent compared to board games of moderate quality)

muttley8699 wrote:
1. Hinterlands
2. Cornucopia
3. Seaside
4. Prosperity
5. Intrigue
6. Base Set
7. Alchemy

rickert wrote:
Mine would be:

1. Base
2. Prosperity
3. Cornucopia
4. Hinterlands
5. Prosperity
6. Intrigue
7. Alchemy

Undrdatree wrote:
1. Hinterlands
2. Cornucopia
3. Prosperity
4. Seaside
5. Intrigue
6. Base Set
7. Alchemy

TrojH wrote:
aarongreen50 wrote:
OK, just curious, how would people rank the Dominion sets?

Base = Intrigue = Seaside = Alchemy = Prosperity = Cornucopia = Hinterlands

(= each of the final two sets, as soon as they come out)

legalbetter wrote:
I would rate them 1-10...
1. Prosperity
2. Seaside
3. Intrigue
4. The Base Set
5. Cornucopia
6. Hinterlands
7. The Bonus Cards (only ranked seventh because there are only five of them)
8. The New Base Cards (may move up once mine finally get here)
10. Alchemy

I'm glad to see that everyone seems to rate Alchemy at the bottom.

Redward wrote:
aarongreen50 wrote:
OK, just curious, how would people rank the Dominion sets? I guess I'm not a purist, mine would go:

1. Prosperity
2. Seaside
3. Cornucopia
4. Intrigue
5. Hinterlands
6. Original (maybe this should get bonus points for starting it all, though!)
7. Alchemy (which I rank last, at least compared to other Dominion sets of superior quality, but which would rank moderately compared with other board games of excellent quality, and would even rank excellent compared to board games of moderate quality)

1. Prosperity
2. Seaside
3. Hinterlands
4. Cornucopia
5. Intrigue
6. Original
7. Alchemy

I love them but this is probably how I would rank them. The high cost cards and extra treasures of prosperity are hard to beat but the duration mechanic is by far my favorite addition. That said, I really enjoyed the interesting when gained benefits of Hinterlands and the way that Cornucopia encouraged variety. Intrigue and the original are lower simply because they are vanilla and Alchemy is very enjoyable but having to manage potions in your deck is a bit of a downer.

traininthedistance wrote:
aarongreen50 wrote:
OK, just curious, how would people rank the Dominion sets?

1. Cornucopia- Cornucopia has the best "batting average" by far. The cards are strong but in a fun way, and I love the hand-management subtheme.
2. Prosperity- Can't go wrong with Colonies and VP Chips.
3. Seaside- Neither can you go wrong with Durations. Seaside was so much better than the first two, I didn't realize this game had such depth until I started to play with it and Prosperity.
4. Alchemy- It's grown on me. Inconsistent, but Vineyard is one of my favorite cards, so that counts for something.
5. Hinterlands- I think DXV missed the mark when he tried to make this simpler. It isn't.
6. Intrigue- More interesting than base, at least. For whatever reason, all the worst art is found here.
7. Base- Yeah, yeah, I know. But the expansions are just so much better and more interesting.
8. Promos- Of course.

MooseyFate wrote:
1. Seaside
2. Hinterlands
3. All others but Alchemy

My rating:

1. Prosperity - just love games with Platinum and Colonies; I always feel excited when I see them show up in a randomised isotropic game!
2. Cornucopia - definitely the most fun of all the expansions
3. Intrigue - I find the interactions here really good with mates, definitely have some laughs when playing with these
4. Seaside - don't own it, but love the duration cards
5. Hinterlands
6. Promos - Black Market, Governor... love them both
7. Base - I'm starting to love this more though now that I am playing with a whole lot more cards... I guess the 100 or so face-to-face games in the first 2 months of this year kind of made me wish for something new
8. Alchemy - Only down the bottom because other people don't want to play it with these cards... I really do like some of the ideas here... Possession really is mean though and has caused some of my games to end early due to others just not enjoying the game

Edit: Changed the subject form "Ranking the Dominion expansions" to "Ranking the Dominion sets"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee Jay
Australia
flag msg tools
And in regards to how I think Dark Ages will hold up against the current sets... so far it looks to be a game changing expansion! I really like all the new mechanics and feel that the sub-themes with Ruins, one shots and trash interaction are awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Seaside — Because Durations rock
2. Prosperity — Because I love Platinum and Colony
3. Intrigue — Because it's cutthroat
4. Dominion — Because it has the simplest but most necessary cards
5. Hinterlands — Because it has the best theme so far but the cards are just okay
6. Cornucopia — Because Tournament is the only major card but Prizes are too hard to get
7. Alchemy — Because Possession is a pain to use and Philosopher's Stone is just annoying
8. Promotional Cards — Because they are overpriced for what they offer
9. Base Cards — Because they don't include Shelters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Walts
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
1 - Base, because I wouldn't have played the rest without this
2 - Prosperity, for the extra starting cards and powerful actions
3 - Hinterlands, a very divisive set to be sure, but every card in this set I've found fun
4 - Seaside, because durations rock
5 - Cornucopia, far too small in spite of its name
6 - Intrigue, nothing wrong with it but nothing memorable
7 - Alchemy, due to the fact that I wouldn't by a dominion product just to have a set of coasters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilantro V
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Intrigue has to top the list. Base game can only sustain so many plays, considering that Chapel and Gardens are such hugely divergent strategy drivers. Probably the best first expansion I could have hoped for.

Following that, Seaside and Prosperity are tied. Love the duration actions, Islands are a unique angle that isn't game-breaking. Sea Hag is the only downer here. Prosperity is all-around good, and having the big strategy-drivers happen later in the game instead of a turn-2 all-in gardens/chapel leads to more interesting early-and middle-game choices.

Hinterlands and Cornucopia are next; nothing here is really that exciting, but in general the cards are more fun to play than the base set. Crossroads, Scheme, Develop, Jack- all bread-and-butter cards that I'd pick over the base game any day. Same for Farming village, hunting party, tournament, hamlet. I almost regret having bought the base game, since these are more likely to see play.

Promos- While they're good cards- perhaps too good in many cases- these are relatively (real world) expensive and don't seem to replace other favorites at their (in-game) cost levels.

Base Game - vanilla is good, but given the buffet of really fun options above vanilla is boring and bland. You can only play so many smithy/village/witch games before you want something a little more exciting in there.

Alchemy- Even if the potion-cost cards are well balanced, it always feels weird playing a game with only one or two. Players really think twice before buying into a Potion-based gameplan if the rest of the spread doesn't make use of them.

I expect Dark Ages to land around the middle area between seaside/prosp and hinter/cornucopia. Plenty of fun cards that handle what has been missing, imho- accessible low-count trashing. Chapel has always been a blunderbuss, and I'd love a few scalpels. Some of the mechanics are looking to be a bit fiddly though; rats and ruins and all that trash-digging may make some piles less popular at the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Allen
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Hinterlands
2. Seaside
3. Prosperity
4. Intrigue
5. Cornucopia
6. Base
7. Alchemy

Dark Ages sounds like it could jump into the top 2-3. I can't wait to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Prosperity
2. Intrigue
3. Hinterlands
4. Cornucopia
5. Seaside
6. Base
7. Alchemy

After seeing the Dark Ages previews, I expect Dark Ages to land after Prosperity, number 2 overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Jünger
Germany
flag msg tools
1. Prosperity
2. Seaside
3. Base Game
4. Cornucopia
5. Hinterlands
6. Intrigue
7. Alchemy

I can´t say on which place Dark Ages will be at the moment. Beacause the first previews are cool but i will be test this expansion and then we can talk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Prosperity - by a margin. It changes game play so much to the better
2. Seaside
3. Cornucopia
4. Hinterland
5. Alchemy
6. Intrigue - contains a few cards that I think shouldn't be in the game
7. Base Set - pretty bland from today's perspective
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
samuel beaupain
Netherlands
amersfoort
utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
STOP IT!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Intrigue
2. Hinterlands
3. Prosperity
4. Seaside
5. Base
6. Cornucopia
7. Alchemy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Durden
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
Brettspielblog.net
badge
Visit my blog: www.brettspielblog.net
mbmbmbmbmb
they are all in one box, so it's only "Dominion" for me. I wouldn't rank them. Just buy them all and have fun. all cards are good if the setup is right. all cards can be bad or be not worth buying if there are other cards in the setup.

So ist
1. Base - Intrige - Seaside - Alchemy - Prosperity - Cornucopia - Hinterlands - Promo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.Intrigue
2.Base
3.Cornucopia
4.Seaside
5.Alchemy
6.Hinterlands
7.Prosperity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Alberda
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
1. Intrigue
2. Base
3. Hinterlands
4. Seaside
5. Cornucopia
6. Prosperity
7. Alchemy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Prosperity
2. Intrigue
3. Seaside
4. Hinterlands
5. Base
6. Cornucopia
7. Alchemy

I expect Dark Ages to be #1 or #2 for me, because trashing all my crap is the way I like to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Seaside
2. Prosperity
3. Hinterlands
4. Base
5. Intrigue
6. Alchemy (Much higher if there were more of it)
7. Cornucopia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...4. Alchemy- It's grown on me. Inconsistent, but Vineyard is one of my favorite cards, so that counts for something...

I can't wait to play a setup with Feodum, Silk Road, Gardens, Vineyards, Trader, University, and some other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sporktopia Games
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Seaside
2. Hinterlands
3. Intrigue
4. Alchemy
5. Prosperity
6. Base
7. Cornucopia

I think Dark Ages will fall somewhere around 3 or 4. I like the trash emphasis and some of the new cards coming out. Hoping it's not to much of a hassle to keep straight. A few hundred plays should take care of it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seaside
Prosperity
Hinterlands
Cornucopia
Intrigue
Base
Alchemy

So far Dark Ages looks like it will land below Prosperity, but above Intrigue. Time will tell though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh M

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Cornucopia - far and away my favorite set. Encouraging variation makes all the other sets better. (Menagerie and Horn Of Plenty are easily my two favorite cards)
2. Seaside - advanced planning is great
3. Prosperity
4. Intrigue
5. Base
6. Hinterlands
7. Alchemy (admittedly, every once in a while alchemy jumps up to #2 for a couple of games, but more often than not. well. here it is)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else think that Herbalist should have been in a different set or sold as a promo so a thirteenth Potion-required card could fit in Alchemy? Honestly, Herbalist is the only Alchemy card most of my friends will allow, and that's because it doesn't require a Potion to use nor interacts especially uniquely with Potions-only cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Prosperity
Intrigue
Base
Hinterlands
Cornucopia
Seaside
Alchemy

I'm fully expecting Dark Ages to fall in the top 2 at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
Anyone else think that Herbalist should have been in a different set or sold as a promo so a thirteenth Potion-required card could fit in Alchemy? Honestly, Herbalist is the only Alchemy card most of my friends will allow, and that's because it doesn't require a Potion to use nor interacts especially uniquely with Potions-only cards.

You guys are missing out on apprentice (it mentions potions but it doesn't cost potions and it's so useful). In the right situation I'll apprentice Provinces or Colonies so I can try to get 2 or 3 to replace it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:

What's wrong with Apprentice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Baker
United States
Elmira
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Don't touch me there!!! Now I need a tongue bath.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Prosperity
2. Hinterlands
3. Base cards
4. Alchemy
5. Intrigue
6. Seaside
7. Cornucopia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enfynet enfynet
msg tools
mb
1a. Seaside
1b. Prosperity
1c. Hinterlands
1d. Alchemy
1e. Cornucopia
1f. Base
1g. Intrigue

2a. Stash
2b. Envoy
2c. Black Market

?. Dark Ages
?. Guilds
?. Governor
?. Walled Village
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.