Subject: Question about use/creation of company names? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Azzari the Blue
Canada
Gatineau
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for reading, geeks! I'm brand new at producing games, and have been hard at work bringing a card game to life. I'm very excited to show it off and get some opinions here, and I expect to be able to do that within the next couple weeks.

My question has to do with creating a "company name." I don't have a business license and am not at the point of getting one at this moment, but I would like some kind of creative name to put on the cards and the box for the game that isn't just my real name.

Is this okay to do? Am I still protected under copyright if I use a company name without having a license? Or should I get one whether or not I'm ready to do business?

Any help is appreciated! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you feel that you need a company name in order to create a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nicholas
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
You do not have to register a company/brand name until the product requires distribution or is turning a profit. Once your game begins to turn a profit it must be registered with an official tax file number and company name.

In the mean time, if you are just prototyping/demoing your game any name you brand the game with will be official, as long as you have some way to link/prove that name ie. a website or facebook page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wood
United Kingdom
Little Chalfont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
SPEAK TO A CANADIAN ACCOUNTANT!!!

No one here, unless they fall into this (or similar (CANADIAN) category) can actually give you a helpful answer.

I have no idea, for example, about the Australian poster's comment, but it is not valid in the UK.

Based on UK experience, many accountants will give you a short meeting up front for free.

Again, based on UK, there are several structures you could use, but tax implications and legal niceties will depend on jurisdiction.

V.
ACA CTA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Varies from region to region. But if its simmilar to what I went through here in the US. Then you must have at least a small business liscense to sell a product.

If you arent selling a product then there is no need for a business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azzari the Blue
Canada
Gatineau
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

I don't feel that I need to, I simply would like to have a more creative name than my own name on the cards and game, so if I do make a business out of this eventually that I have something recognizable to do business under.

Quote:
You do not have to register a company/brand name until the product requires distribution or is turning a profit. Once your game begins to turn a profit it must be registered with an official tax file number and company name.

In the mean time, if you are just prototyping/demoing your game any name you brand the game with will be official, as long as you have some way to link/prove that name ie. a website or facebook page.

That's the info I was looking for! Thank you very much! As I understand it, I just need to have other things public (on the web or otherwise) with that name and I'm set. :)

My apologies if I was unclear on my original post. I definitely will get a business license when I'm at the point of money changing hands, but right now it's just a fun project. I would like to see it grow into something profitable (at least somewhat) but I don't expect that to happen for a while. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt L
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
One other thing...

BEFORE you put a business name on a box you might want to do some research to make sure some one else isn't all ready legally using it. Then you would have so start all over again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azzari the Blue
Canada
Gatineau
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh that definitely will be part of my process, for sure! Thank you very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AzzyBlue wrote:
Quote:

I don't feel that I need to, I simply would like to have a more creative name than my own name on the cards and game, so if I do make a business out of this eventually that I have something recognizable to do business under.

OK here is my problem with this. As a designer, you need to promote yourself. Game companies want to work with designers who are profession, down to earth and fun to work with. Most of the time, they do not care about the rest.

So let's say you create a company... let's say Smarty Pants Games. You design a good game and decide to get it published. You go to a publisher and say "Hi, I am Azzy from Smarty Pants Game and I designed a game". So now the publish might think...
- your a game company trying to co-publish a game
- or maybe you want them to promote your published game
- or maybe that you are some greater then thou noob who wants to NDA and protect there amazing game which is a Monopoly knock off
- or maybe hey I don't like Smary Pants

And then...
- What relationship are you with Smarty Pants Games?
- Are you an employee, do you own the company?
- Since it is a game company, did you already publish the game?
- How did it do?
- Why are you hiding behind a game company front?

I say keep it simple. You are who you are. Promote yourself. Don't mess around with gimmicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azzari the Blue
Canada
Gatineau
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ohhh okay. Very good advice, I'll take it to heart. Makes it more simple for me, at least. I'll use my pseudo/penname instead of my real name and call it good then :)

Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.