Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is Mage Knight a hard game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ve tried this two times solo now and two times co-op with the girlfriend and we haven´t come close to winning any scenario.

Yesterday I manage to take over one city in the last round of the game (and then you have to take additional one) when I played solo.

I think I have all the rules narrowed down so I don´t think I do anything wrong. Its just that I feel a little rushed when I play MN. You have to really run over the map or else the time runs out. Or maybe I just had some bad luck with the dummy player, yesterday his deck ran out really fast since he had 4 green crystals and two rounds out of six I had like half my deck left when he called end of round.

This is not meant to be whine, I like hard games. I love Ghost Stories and Arkham Horror. But is this game as hard as those games or do I need to rethink my strategy?

Would be nice to take all cities for a change

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard in the sense that it requires that you learn a lot, experienced players will do much better than inexperienced players.

It's not hard in the sense that if you know what you are doing you should be able to win the standard solo/coop scenarios every time, with ease.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK I´ll keep playing then (and that won´t be a problem since I really enjoy this game)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Chua
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was going through the rules it have suggested don't let dummy player have to many of a same kind of crystal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Streaming wrote:
I was going through the rules it have suggested don't let dummy player have to many of a same kind of crystal.


But the rules say he can have more than three, right? Yesterday he had four green ones by the second round so sometimes he played seven cards right away.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
It's hard in the sense that it requires that you learn a lot, experienced players will do much better than inexperienced players.

It's not hard in the sense that if you know what you are doing you should be able to win the standard solo/coop scenarios every time, with ease.


I still lose standard solo conquest occasionally, but I admit I am taking chances in order to maximize my potential score.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I don't think it's hard to play in the sense that once you know the rules your realistic options aren't unknowable.

I like Mage Knight because I always know my choices and have to make them, unlike other 'efficiency' games where too much critical info is hidden.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Would be nice to take all cities for a change


If it ever gets a bit frustrating, just try reducing the level of the cities or playing with a rule that you start with 1 crystal or something. I know it can be demoralising if you keep losing, so sometimes it is best to redcue the difficulty so that you at least have a success, and then ramp it up once you get used to the game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon McBride
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I failed on my first 3 solo conquest attempts, now I have only a further 3 completed plays under my belt (all successful, different heroes) I find it hard to believe I did so badly initially.
There is no 'I get it' moment - more of a feel for optimising plays, timing and learning the various uses for the advanced actions, spells, artifacts & units.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
Streaming wrote:
I was going through the rules it have suggested don't let dummy player have to many of a same kind of crystal.


But the rules say he can have more than three, right? Yesterday he had four green ones by the second round so sometimes he played seven cards right away.


Yes, by the rules there's no limit on the number of each crystal the dummy player can have. What I think Streaming is saying is that it's strategically advantageous for you to avoid having the dummy player collect too many crystals of one colour. You can manipulate which colour crystal it will get and which colour Advanced Action will go into its deck based on your choice of spells/Advanced Actions. Of course, this is easier said than done, especially when you're still learning the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your input.

I am currently in the middle of my third solo game and the enemies in the first city is really giving me a hard time. But I may be doing one thing wrong so just to be clear:

As an example; Say that I fight three enemies. They all have 5 health each and no resistances. I do a siege attack for 10 damage. What happens?

1. 2 enemies die, one is alive (since I need 5+5+5=15 damage to kill the three enemies).

2. They all die since I only need 5 attack since they all have 5 health or less (they all die from the single attack).

What is the right answer?

At the moment i play alternative 1, I was assuming this was correct? But when reading the rulebook now I might have misinturped this
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 is correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
#1 is correct.


As I thought, good. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben v Gastel
Netherlands
Agelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage knight is a real challenge even as solitaire player, and that's great!

Wouldn't be fun if you could complete a hard mission within a few games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about 6 co-op (two 2 player, and four 3 player) games and we won every time with ease. And 3 of those 6 timer we played with newbs. One of those 6 times we played with levels 5, 7, 9 and a Metropolis of level 22 (we added one of the conquered cities to the final city)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my first 2 player game which I played last week (Blitz conquest competitive scenario), I conquered one city near the end of the game but the other seemed really hard especially since I'd used up most of the good attacks I had.

The second city had the dragon with cold fire attack and the golem with fire, ice and physical resistance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tparel wrote:
In my first 2 player game which I played last week (Blitz conquest competitive scenario), I conquered one city near the end of the game but the other seemed really hard especially since I'd used up most of the good attacks I had.

The second city had the dragon with cold fire attack and the golem with fire, ice and physical resistance.


There are no Draconum in cities. Never.
You must be doing this wrong.
Check the file section for better city enemy reference:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/74078/city-reference-cards...

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
There are no Draconum in cities. Never.
You must be doing this wrong.


Draconum can follow a player into a city though, as they are wandering, no?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the initial challenge really depends on your experience with games like this. It can take some time for things to truly click, but oh man is it worth it!

I consider myself a fairly inexperienced board game player as far as more complex games like this, but after around a dozen plays, I'm now playing with the difficulty bumped up 3 notches from the suggested starting level.

The great thing is you can adjust that level even further. I'll be playing this game for a long time
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim OConnor
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pawel is right. Those damn purple on the clix look like red to me as well. These cards are pretty hand to print off and keep with the rest of the reference cards. Of course, once you know there are no red, it's pretty easy to know what is there from the clix itself.



eatem wrote:
I am currently in the middle of my third solo game and the enemies in the first city is really giving me a hard time. But I may be doing one thing wrong so just to be clear:

As an example; Say that I fight three enemies. They all have 5 health each and no resistances. I do a siege attack for 10 damage. What happens?

1. 2 enemies die, one is alive (since I need 5+5+5=15 damage to kill the three enemies).

2. They all die since I only need 5 attack since they all have 5 health or less (they all die from the single attack).

What is the right answer?


Marc is right, #1 is correct. Be careful you don't use this same logic for blocking. Say all 3 enemies deal 5 damage. You do a block 10 (say block 4 from one card and block 6 from another). You can only block one enemy with this as you cannot combine blocks. Any extra block you generate does not carry over to the next enemy :/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KingofTown wrote:
Marc is right, #1 is correct. Be careful you don't use this same logic for blocking. Say all 3 enemies deal 5 damage. You do a block 10 (say block 4 from one card and block 6 from another). You can only block one enemy with this as you cannot combine blocks. Any extra block you generate does not carry over to the next enemy :/


Yes I know, thanks. I just need more practice I guess I am not a very experienced board gamer. The hardest games I have played is Arkham Horror and Ghost Stories. But I think MK is more "fair" in a sence that you can plan better. You can´t get lucky with the cards as in those other two games (get a Elder Sign when you really need it and so on).

I just need to learn how to make every turn count because it can take me like two rounds just to clear the three starting tiles of the game. And you need to explore like 7-9 more before you even find the two cities. But I don´t want to read any help or strategies, I want to explore this and "get" the game on my own (so thanks in advance but no thanks)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
pabula wrote:
tparel wrote:
In my first 2 player game which I played last week (Blitz conquest competitive scenario), I conquered one city near the end of the game but the other seemed really hard especially since I'd used up most of the good attacks I had.

The second city had the dragon with cold fire attack and the golem with fire, ice and physical resistance.


There are no Draconum in cities. Never.
You must be doing this wrong.
Check the file section for better city enemy reference:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/74078/city-reference-cards...



Ok that's good to know, thanks. I mistook the brown dot for a red one. Hopefully, this is going to make it easier for me to conquer cities.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are totally not the only one to make that mistake. I did it for my first dozen games or so...

Stupid clix. Funny how the one part of the game that has a 'Wizkids' heritage ends up being the part that's the hardest to actually use while playing. cool

pk
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game needs to come with a warning on the front of the box about those clix, with the number of people that have made the dragons-in-cities mistake.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just beat 2 level 11 cities and a Megapolis level 22 with my brother. Here's the link to the endgame report http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9828681
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.