8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Modern or WW2 Boardgames and miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Doe
msg tools
Heya all,

I'm trying to look for detailed and complex type WW2 or modern-day boardgames that's currently in production.

All I know is that Advanced Squad Leader's the best right now, but I'm looking for alternatives. It has to be on the tactical or platoon/skirmish level.

My local game store recommended Tide of Iron, Panzer General and Memoir '44. I haven't personally look into it but how detailed are they? I'm more towards different kinds of Panzer IVs (maybe ammunition type) or different morale/equipment for infantry regiments, etc. Customizable equipment and unit composition is a pretty good extra.

I don't mind if it's hex/area or even miniatures. as long as it's really engaging enough to be sapped into.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to look into Panzer (second edition), which is due to be released by GMT "real soon now".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, for what you want M44 et al aren't your thing--look into Panzer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Panzer a remake of Yaquinto's Panzer series? That game system is like Advanced Tobruk which focused on small unit actions. I think you need to plot the movement of each vehicle one by one on a map sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
msg tools
Dang, it looks promising.

Any more info about it? But is it all tank based only?

When's the release date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dobb wrote:
Dang, it looks promising.

Any more info about it? But is it all tank based only?

When's the release date?

The last GMT update (link) says that P500 orders will ship in late August, so retail/online stores might start getting it by late September (totally guessing here).

You can download the rules, check out samples of artwork and examples of play here: http://www.gmtgames.com/p-323-panzer.aspx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultracheng wrote:
Is Panzer a remake of Yaquinto's Panzer series? That game system is like Advanced Tobruk which focused on small unit actions. I think you need to plot the movement of each vehicle one by one on a map sheet.

Yeah, it looks like the GMT one is the 3rd version of the game.

Panzer (first edition) (1979 Yaquinto Games version)
Panzer Miniatures (2004 Lost Battalion Games version)
Panzer (second edition) (2012 GMT version)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
msg tools
How about Conflict of Heroes or Combat Commander? Are they up to the kind of games I want?

We've seen a lot of WW2 ones, what about modern era? Vietnam or Gulf War and such?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.