Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Went to a game group this evening and there was a new person there who said she was new to the hobby. For an alleged newbie to gaming, she was pretty good and she was willing to tackle a pretty intense game (Eclipse). She even turned down playing boring humans and insisted on playing a more complicated alien race.

When I asked her what brought her to the hobby, she of course said it was Geek & Sundry's TableTop series with Wil Wheaton. Score! Thanks Mr. Wheaton for helping to bring great new geeks into the fold!

and a bonus point, too, for this particular geek you brought into the fold being an attractive young lady
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
hey guys, what are we talking about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is REALLY annoying.

I just wish Wil had better taste in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pentegarn76 wrote:
swheelock wrote:

Ladies we find attractive and the asking out of said ladies

... honestly, I can't read a friggin' thing you're saying, 'cause you're writing too quiet. I just wanted to be included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:

I think they'll get there. It wouldn't shock me if Sundry's deal with Target has something to do with the lack of anything terribly obscure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:

I think the games he has been choosing are a bit odd but they work...for instance Munchkin is reviled here but it's not a bad game for introducing folks to gaming as it's light and it's funny (the first time or two, anyway).

They're clearly being very successful with the series so I won't try to argue with their choices!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pentegarn76 wrote:
swheelock wrote:
Pentegarn76 wrote:
swheelock wrote:

... honestly, I can't read a friggin' thing you're saying, 'cause you're writing too quiet. I just wanted to be included.

Ctrl + is your friend laugh

First time I have ever had a need to use it! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:

The dude played Fiasco, so I'm inclined to cut him some slack.

Why is everyone whispering?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:
Pentegarn76 wrote:
swheelock wrote:
Pentegarn76 wrote:
swheelock wrote:

QuickQuote works pretty well, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
Vacabck wrote:
Pentegarn76 wrote:
swheelock wrote:
Pentegarn76 wrote:
swheelock wrote:

QuickQuote works pretty well, too.

I've been using Copy + Paste into Notepad

I doubt that the Target deal has any effect on the game selection for Season 1. Though for Season 2 I'm sure Target has some influence there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think writing in 3 pt font should be outlawed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Pics or it didn't happen.

What?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ptdnet wrote:
The series started out fun but got boring fast. Same jokes. Every. Time.

Sounds like a typical gaming group to me.

Quick quote is my choice of embiggening
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the first season was in the can before the first episode aired. At least the raw footage had been shot. Target didn't have any influence on his choices.

Keep in mind he also has to teach his guests the game. He won't be rolling out TI anytime soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:

I think the games he has been choosing are a bit odd but they work...for instance Munchkin is reviled here but it's not a bad game for introducing folks to gaming as it's light and it's funny (the first time or two, anyway).

Our mileage may vary, but if I introduced something like Munchkin to the layman, they'd get turned off by the dorky subject matter. Not so much with, say, TTR.

I'm a firm believer that gateway games don't absolutely need to be simple (I have a friend who had trouble understanding Trias but had a blast in Brass because the subject matter appealed to him), and I can see Munchkin working with a lot of people, but I would never introduce anyone who isn't into D&D to Munchkin - the game isn't good enough for someone who doesn't like the game to have much fun with it, imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I found it offensively unwatchable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jgag wrote:
BagelManB wrote:

Our mileage may vary, but if I introduced something like Munchkin to the layman, they'd get turned off by the dorky subject matter. Not so much with, say, TTR.

I'm a firm believer that gateway games don't absolutely need to be simple (I have a friend who had trouble understanding Trias but had a blast in Brass because the subject matter appealed to him), and I can see Munchkin working with a lot of people, but I would never introduce anyone who isn't into D&D to Munchkin - the game isn't good enough for someone who doesn't like the game to have much fun with it, imho.

The show is created by "Geek and Sundry". Their target audience is not "the layman", but instead people who self-identify as "geeks".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
jgag wrote:
BagelManB wrote:

The show is created by "Geek and Sundry". Their target audience is not "the layman", but instead people who self-identify as "geeks".

I agree with you, it's suited for Geek & Sundry, but I wouldn't use it to introduce folks to gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.