Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought this game officially topped out at 4, but noticed the Kingsmoot variant from the King at Sea expansion can play up to 6. Checking the geek entry for the expansion, it's listed at topping out at the original four, so I ask

Q: is this variant the only official method of playing 5 or 6 players, or do others exist?

Will the base game support 5 or 6 without needing to bend rules or risk resource (token) drains?

My hunch is that the 4 was the original default due to the core providing only 4 decks, but when Greyhound and the other (Martel?) were release, the game could handle more... But I'm unsure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One core set will only allow up to 4 players. With the Greyjoy & Martell deluxe expansions you can play up to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dion wrote:
One core set will only allow up to 4 players. With the Greyjoy & Martell deluxe expansions you can play up to 6.

It's legal to play 6 with two cores, I presume, yes? Could one play 8? There has to be some kind of resource limitations that impose an upper limit (chit limitation, I mean).

I haven't read the rules yet, and this is chiefly my fault (I have them downloaded to my phone, but I'm traveling in S.E. Asia at the moment on holiday). My main question is this:

Are there any structural limitations to the game mechanics that impose an upper limit, either through resource scarcity or something else. For example, Netrunner has two decks in its core but even with 3 cores you'd only ever be able to play a 1v1 game due to the structure of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Dion wrote:

It's legal to play 6 with two cores, I presume, yes? Could one play 8? There has to be some kind of resource limitations that impose an upper limit (chit limitation, I mean).

I haven't read the rules yet, and this is chiefly my fault (I have them downloaded to my phone, but I'm traveling in S.E. Asia at the moment on holiday). My main question is this:

Are there any structural limitations to the game mechanics that impose an upper limit, either through resource scarcity or something else. For example, Netrunner has two decks in its core but even with 3 cores you'd only ever be able to play a 1v1 game due to the structure of the rules.

Technically, there is not really an upper limit. Practically, the upper limit is 6, because there are six multiplayer titles. It is theoretically possible to play with more, if you accept that not everybody gets a title, or if you play without Multiplayer titles entirely, but both would seriously strain, and most likely break, game balance. All everybody needs is a deck of cards. The gold and power tokens provided in the core set do not set a limit, because players can just replace them with whatever they wish (coins, stones, meeples, candy, whatever).

One Core Set will let you play with 4. Two Core Sets (or one CS and two Deluxe Expansions) will let you play with six. Playing with up to 8 is theoretically possible with 2 Core Sets, but highly inadvisible. If you have two Core Sets and 8 players, just play two 4-player tables.

Note that more players increase playing time and complexity disproportionally. Playing time in Multiplayer can be a serious issue if all players are new to the game. A 4 player game with all new players will take quite some time.

I'd advise against playing with more than 4 if the players are newbies. A 6 player game will be a long and chaotic affair at the best of times. With experienced players that can be great fun, with newbies it will most likely be frustrating.

Others may have different experiences though. I'm not exactly the greatest multiplayer expert on the planet (I play 2-player almost exclusively).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Dion wrote:

There are 6 titles that you choose from in multiplayer, this (and common sense) limits it to 6.

edit: Also what ^^ he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, with 2 cores you could play up to 6 (with 2 people playing the same house). The limit of 6 is really because there are 6 multi-player titles up for grabs each round. If you don't use them I guess the player limit is only governed by the number of cards you own.
In my still somewhat limited multi-player experience I think it is probably best as a 4 player, unless everyone is very familiar with the game.

edit: too slow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilgoga wrote:
this (and common sense) limits it to 6.

Common sense is what tells us the world is flat. Personally, I try not to touch the stuff.

That aside, thanks one and all for answering my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.