Subject: Thats no moon... its a space station... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Years ago I looked seriously at getting into the star wars miniatures ships/fleet game.

As I openly pondered what adventures may be had, I wrote a scenario involving of all things... a hula hoop as the Death star.

Never did get into that game as other games tempted me away, but as I look at this new take on the Star Wars dog fights I wonder if it is time to finally bring the Death star to the table?

Laid flat on the table the large circular plastic hoop creates a large imposing solid sphere in 2d space, but more importantly, it is an obstacle in outer space that also contains "inner space".

The idea was that only ONE narrow point, marked clearly on the rim of the hoop, allowed access to the "inner area", created by the circumference of the hoop itself.

A small target objective (not much bigger than a womp rat) is placed far inside the inner area with perhaps a few dvd cases creating various blocky channels to make piloting difficult.

Hit the small target with your x wing and you have 2 turns to get out of the inner hoop zone before the whole thing blows!

The hoop is then removed from the table for a victory hula dance(optional) and the terrain used to create the internal channels gets scattered evenly across the table if play continues.

WARNING... only true jedi should attempt the victory hula, perhaps while loudly humming "cantina scene music" just to annoy those who were interested in keeping the Deathstar intact

I may be as crazy as a Jawa strapped to the hood of a speeder but it sounds like fun!

I know the "Death star" is not to "scale" but terrain the size of a small moon is hard to come by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GHOST FINGER wrote:
The hoop is then removed from the table for a victory hula dance(optional)

You should make it mandatory...

GHOST FINGER wrote:
terrain the size of a small moon is hard to come by.

Small when compared to larger moons any way. Moderate size when compared to moon roughly the same size. Any way, to make a long story short, short when compared to longer stories... Oh, wrong game blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom brown
United Kingdom
Stanley
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
CROM THE INVINCIBLE, SAVIOR OF THE GRUNGE MASTERS DAUGHTER
badge
HE JUST CANT BE KILLED, OR CAN HE???
mbmbmbmbmb
i need a diagram and a hula hoop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently heard from an online friend of mine in England who assures me that face down JENGA blocks are the best way to create channels and trenches for the inner zone of the "Death Hoop" as he calls it.

Depending on how narrow and how frequent the corridors are, fight inside the Death Hoop zone is sure to be a dangerous gamble.

Obviously it's also worth noting that ships inside the hoop are unable to interact with those outside the hoop as they are considered to be inside the deep trenches of the superstructure.

When the game is released he suggests rules for turret batteries as part of the Death Hoops standard internal defenses?

Though how these will work is still under consideration.

I like the JENGA trenches though very nice...

Its always nice when geeks collaborate to make something "Geekier" makes me feel close to "my people".

Group hug everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a droid and some Bothan spies to steal your Death Hula plans.

This is an excellent idea. I expect to see pics from GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.