Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know a decent source of 10mm wooden cubes in the UK?
Im after (16) x 5 different colours or 80 natural... but i cant find anything reasonably priced where im not paying over a fiver!

anyone got any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not in the UK, but Spiel Material is good for cubes etc.

http://www.spielmaterial.de/english5/d_P0002a_Cube_10_mm.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These guys were really helpful for some components I wanted a while back:
http://www.craftshapes.co.uk/cat_woodenblocks.htm

Would 13mm do? They are very cheap. Give them a call otherwise.

I take it you have tried ebay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried boardgameextras.co.uk? It's pricier than your ideal, but might work out similar to getting them in from abroad when postage is factored in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand how wooden cubes can be so expensive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jetpac wrote:

At a guess, per-unit-overheads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Evans
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
Not in the UK, but Spiel Material is good for cubes etc.

http://www.spielmaterial.de/english5/d_P0002a_Cube_10_mm.php

I'll second this, even with extra postage it was still cheaper than UK sources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got a copy myself, but from the gallery it looks like Fagin's Gang might have the components you need - it's currently on sale at The Works for £4.99, so just fits your budget.

http://www.theworks.co.uk/Fagins-Gang-Board-Game/09492264429...

I got an email a couple of days ago to say free delivery on anything over a fiver if you use the code SCHOOL. Not sure how long that's valid for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats a great shot Tom! best idea so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
I haven't got a copy myself, but from the gallery it looks like Fagin's Gang might have the components you need - it's currently on sale at The Works for £4.99, so just fits your budget.

http://www.theworks.co.uk/Fagins-Gang-Board-Game/09492264429...

I got an email a couple of days ago to say free delivery on anything over a fiver if you use the code SCHOOL. Not sure how long that's valid for...

Bad, bad Steerpike! I now have a load of stuff on order including Fagin's Gang - but I *can* say that the code still works...

blush

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible that the Fagin's Gang cubes are 8mm rather than 10mm - it's hard to tell from the images.

EDIT: Sorry, Susie_Cat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Harris
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jetpac wrote:

UK cube mines are running low
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to B&Q, get a long piece of 10x10 dowling and slice off as many cubes as you want. You'll have to paint them yourself, of course, but you'll probably also have spare dowling afterwards...

edit - you can get 900mm length of 10.5x10.5 for 78p
or 2400mm for £1.38

oh - and a link too... http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/mouldings/stripwood/-fin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
I haven't got a copy myself, but from the gallery it looks like Fagin's Gang might have the components you need

According to the online PDF manual, it's got 180 cubes in 6 colours - which works out to somewhere around 3p a cube from the Works right now.

I was going to try bandsawing up a newel post, but at those prices, that can wait!

(Edit: the problem I've found with slicing up dowelling is that the stuff you get from B&Q is generally pretty soft and crappy wood... you'll not get a clean cut without splintering, and then you'll probably spend so much time cleaning the cubes up afterwards that they won't be even shapes and sizes (if that matters for the game you're using them for) and you'll have spent enough time it possibly would have been more economic to just buy them in.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
EDIT: Sorry, Susie_Cat

S'OK!

And in case anyone can use it, the sent me an email saying the code SAVE5 will save 5 pounds, though they say it will only work for 48 hrs and I'm not sure whether it will work for anyone else...

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8bit wrote:
Jetpac wrote:

UK cube mines are running low

Maggie closed most of them in the 80s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought a length of doweling in the end, i will chop it up.

I will have a feeling of satisfaction that i built everything myself
I have a decent set of tools so it won't be a massive issue

im making a load of little canoes as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some spare scraps and a [tiny!] bit of spare time, so I had a go; I'm using one of these with the fence set at an arbitrarily-eyeballed distance that turned out to only be a millimetre out of the 8mm I was going for:

The top-left is the straight-off-the-saw cubes from a bit of treated fence post; the top-right is some of the same bits with the rough edges sanded down. The bottom-left is off-the-saw oak, and the bottom-right is off-the-saw beech.

Making the cuts took only a few minutes, but it probably takes about eight times as long per cube to sand the rough edges down than it does to cut it. Predictably the beech easily the best option, but to be honest, if the price is as cheap as 3p a cube already painted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Clans, which also regularly appears for sale at The Works or similar very cheaply, has a lot of cubes. But I also forget what size.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameExtras have just started selling wooden cubes at a price to challenge SpielMaterial:

http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/item.php?id=1810&name=250+w...

"Approximately" 50 each of black, blue, red, yellow and white, 250 cubes for £11 for the moment. It works out at 5.1p a cube including shipping - and it'll go up to 6p a cube including shipping after their launch deal is over. Not quite as cheap as Fagin's Gang from the Works, but worth knowing about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything in pre-cut shapes (even cubes) seems to be outlandishly expensive for some reason. I have heard people saying they've found really great deals on plastic cubes at teacher supply stores if you're not stuck on wood - otherwise it seems the only way to get wood cubes for cheap is to make them yourself.

The last batch I made I used a rotary tool with a saw blade attachment, but frankly felt I was putting my life in danger the whole time with that contraption, so instead I'm seriously considering getting a "mini" table saw specifically for slicing wooden dowel rods into cubes. I seem to remember being able to get somewhere around 60 cubes out of a $2 rod, which can then be either painted or dyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
Anything in pre-cut shapes (even cubes) seems to be outlandishly expensive for some reason.

Having made both discs (e.g.) and cubes (above) myself, I would have to say that 5p a cube for the finished, painted product isn't an unreasonable price to pay!

It's quite possible, and if you have the time and the equipment already it's fairly economical, but if you're buying the equipment for it, you'd need to make a hell of a lot of cubes before it becomes cost effective.

(Of course, the satisfaction of playing a game with pieces you made yourself is impossible to value. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.