Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

We bought Forbidden Island as a simpler Pandemic to play with the kids. Still haven't played with them, but am enjoying it with other adults. This review is part of my series of how multiplayer games work with just 2: My 2 player game reviews.

Rules - how are they different in a 2 player game?

There are no rules differences in a 2 player game.

How is the game different with 2?

The game difficulty seems very similar with any player count, unlike some coops where it seems to vary dramatically as the number of players changes.

There are subtle strategy differences, as you'll have less of the abilities in play, less coverage of the ialnd, and only two hands of cards. Your card collection strategies will be different, as you have to collect for one treasure type each, then go for the other two. There are less floods between your turns, so you can control your direct area more, but also two players can find it harder to cover the whole island as well as four might, so I do tend to find we're more likely to let the outer reaches vanish. Other than that though, the gameplay is very similar.

As for the feel of the game; I find the table-talk and fun side of the game varies with players, and with 3 or 4 you might get more "fun" out of the chat around the game. However, I've had that fun with just 2 with some players, while with my husband it turns into more of a puzzle (but then he doesn't really like the game, so plays under sufferance!).

Verdict

This game works as well with 2 or more. While there can be advantages to playing with more in terms of tabletalk and fun, the underlying game is just as good with any player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recommend you check out the unofficial expansion cards, particularly the island layouts and additional roles.
http://www.artscow.com/gallery/card/Forbidden-Island-Variant...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've recently bought this and have currently only played it four-player with our children. If Anthony and I ever decided to play it alone I had wondered if we would play two characters each, as we did when we used to play Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
firewizard wrote:
Recommend you check out the unofficial expansion cards, particularly the island layouts and additional roles.
http://www.artscow.com/gallery/card/Forbidden-Island-Variant...

Tried the twin island map out this weekend - a lot of fun! The different map layouts do look interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.