The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: LOTR LCG Dice Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
I have come up with some additional rules for those who want to use a dice to make the game more unpredictable and increase risk/reward decision-making possibilities, particularly when using lower threat characters.

i.e., Legolas is virtually only ever used to attack. Eowyn is only ever used to quest. In certain circumstances you may prefer to commit Legolas to a quest, if only his Willpower wasn't so low, and can then roll a dice to see if he is lucky. Likewise Eowyn with attacking. Players also have the option of burning resources to re-roll.

The 0-5 dice from Space Hulk - Death Angel works well; alternatively, you can use a D6 and subtract 1.

RULES:

- When a Hero exhausts to Quest, Defend or Attack, the player has the option of using the card's printed value OR using a value from a rolled D6 and subtracting 1.
- Resource tokens may be spent to give re-rolls.
- Players must decide whether or not to roll for the value before exhausting the Hero. Re-rolls can be spent at anytime.
- A Hero which is ready at the beginning of the Refresh phase receives an additional Resource Token.
- Rolls may only be made for Heroes; not Allies.

You may wish to subtract 2 for a harder game, counting negative values as zeroes. All other rules are unchanged.

Not sure if this is original or not, but hope you have some enjoyable games with it. Grateful for feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two things come to mind.

1) It would lead to using low-stats characters with awesome special abilities (i.e. Bilbo, Frodo, Bifur) instead of looking for the hero's stats.

2) I would definitely limit the re-rolling a bit by only allowing the hero to spend resources from his/her own pool for this purpose.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
Thanee wrote:

2) I would definitely limit the re-rolling a bit by only allowing the hero to spend resources from his/her own pool for this purpose.

Agreed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You've actually hit on one of my only gripes about the game - that a Hero Character is only a 'one trick pony'

Who uses Eowyn to attack or defend? no-one because she always Quests.

Similarly, Legolas always attacks, Denethor is your Defender etc etc

I always get a case of deja vu round after round because my Characters do the same thing... I guess the problem lies with that a Hero does either Quest or Attack or Defend. Rarely will they do both (Aragorn and Unexpected Courage Characters excepted) but this is so intrinsic to game mechanics I can't se a way around it without breaking the gme.e

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.