Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a new player (not progressed to bandits yet) I'm finding Phantom Leader tough (and fun). But I'm wondering if I'm making it harder than I need...

The Tunnels target has "Hardened: Each AtG attack against the Target inflicts 1 less Hit." The way I've been playing this is that I have to score a double (or treble) hit with each missile to have any effect. Which makes six hits practically impossible.

I'm now wondering if I can interpret a single plane launching multiple missiles as one 'AtG attack'. Hence three missiles scoring 2 hits; 1 hit; 1 hit would count as 3 hits (2+1+1-1) rather than 1 hit (2-1 + 1-1 + 1-1).

How do others interpret the Hardened Target rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try attacking this target during the War in the South campaign! You get to take 2 LESS aircraft on a mission.angry

I played it as you did - double or treble hit to score one or two hits. I loaded up with mk.84s to try and finish this. Unfortunately I was not successful - one of my aircraft was damaged thanks to the defences and only scored 2 hits total

Diff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've only played the War in the South scenario - as you say, with two less aircraft on each mission, but I'm guessing that the missing aircraft is balanced out by the absence of bandits. A few days ago I mis-remembered the rules and sent THREE less aircraft on each mission. In retrospect I reckon I was lucky to destroy even one of the four targets.

Back to Hardened Targets - Further investigations have come up with the following rules on Page 9: "Each Aircraft attacks individually and may only attack one target. Resolve the attack for one Aircraft before declaring an attack with another Aircraft" and "Each turn an Aircraft may ... Attack the Target card with any and all Air-to-Ground weapon counters..." and "When an Aircraft is ready to attack, specify the target of the attack and the munitions to be expended." Note that one 'attack' may involve multiple munitions.

I have therefore come to the conclusion that the correct application of the Hardened Target rule is to calculate the sum of all the hits from one aircraft (during a single turn) and then subtract one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hogan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Paul,

Interesting question. I have always played with your original interpretation of each weapon – rather than each attack - causing one less
damage. The logic here would be that the weapons released from one aircraft do not strike the precise same spot. And thus the second and following weapons to strike do not benefit (much) from the effect of the first.

Your thorough reading of the rules does suggest otherwise, though.

Cheers, Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your argument is a sound one Paul - perhaps Dan might chime in with the DVG interpretation.

Could this be one of the missions you "should" sit out?

EDIT - on a re-read, I'd definitely now go with Paul's argument. I feel the card would have specifically mentioned weapon hits as opposed to attack hits for our original interpretation to be correct.

Diff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.