Subject: Inspired by Supremacy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to love playing supremacy over a weekend, even with all the complications. was wondering how much is this inspired by that game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I can't answer that question but it looks like a great game. The graphics look super and the rules put it a cut above Risk in both strategy and complexity. In other words it seems fairly simple and looks like loads of fun so I backed it on Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
I used to love playing supremacy over a weekend, even with all the complications. was wondering how much is this inspired by that game?

Looking at the map, I immediately assumed it was built off a Supremacy board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
me too. although in many ways i will miss the complexity level of supremacy in a war game. still thinking about remaking the rules and posting them somewhere. simpler but still complex. i already know a great way to fix the market in supremacy (being an econ student)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have decided i am going to back this. i hope it makes it at the very least i dont own a game like this in my collection currently and would love to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the description, even without seeing the board, Supremecy was the first thing that I thought of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pajara Games
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm one of the two main game designers (although I want to acknowledge a lot of support from our group of gaming friends!!) I can honestly say that Supremacy wasn't really on our spectrum as we were developing this, although I can see where you might see some similarity. I haven't actually played Supremacy since I was in my early 20's, and that means a LONG TIME AGO!

The actual inspiration came from a desire to blend some aspects of Risk with some of Axis & Allies. It is meant to be more sophisticated in its game play than Risk, but simpler than Axis & Allies. We have certainly succeeded in the former (adding industry and fuel guaranteed more complexity than Risk!). In the latter, our testing groups have had some internal divisions. Some of our groups have pushed to add rules that make the game more complex, while others have told us that we need to stick to our mission of not letting the rules get too complicated.

It seems like we are splitting the difference. Our core rules have preserved the simple (and our extended play-test group has included a couple of nine and ten-year-olds, just to see if the game could be understood that young... it can in the simple rule version). However, we have added "rules variants" to allow the complexity to go up considerably for experienced gamers. The rules still just fit into our promised six-page limit, but we are now VERY close to needing to spill onto the seventh page!!

About the game board design... this part was my biggest piece personally, I am going to date myself in admitting this, but the original rough inspiration for this came from a 1984 (maybe 1983?) film called War Games starring Matthew Broderick. My brothers and sisters of the 1980s are saying, "Ahhh, yes, War Games...", while the younger amongst you are saying, "Huh?" It's okay, compared to later stuff, the graphics were terrible, but back in 1984 we all thought it was pretty cool. That movie's "war board" had an all-black background with high-contrast lines of different colors denoting the superpowers. And yes, the movie was about World War 3 (or at least about a potential World War 3), so it's an appropriate connection. Anyway, those who have seen the film might see the link in our design, although nearly 30 years of computer improvements, along with the modern miracle of Photoshop, and hopefully we've produced a slightly more sophisticated product!

Anyway, thanks again for your Q's and thoughts... pls help us to keep spreading the word!!

-Adrian
The game on Kickstarter: http://kck.st/R3pNnZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have backed this and wish you all the best. i do remember and love war games. i still bring it out now and then to watch. although i do miss a war game with the complexity of supremacy, sometimes you just want a quicker play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ah, the movie Wargames. One of my favorites of all time. Maybe that explains why I was so taken by the map board. I hope everyone spreads the word and backs thisvproject because the game looks really great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geoffrey d. hurn
United States
phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Well considering this project is probably dead, I'm glad I didn't back it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.