Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas for Tactics Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
Avatar
mb
Given that the Tactics Deck is so lacking in amazing cards, in comparison to the like of the other Spheres, here are my ideas for boosting Tactics sphere, whilst remaining relevant to the battle theme. Feel my love for the Tactics Sphere!:

Questing:

- Erebror Battle Map (Attachment, Unique, Item, Restricted), Cost 4. Attached Hero gets Willpower 0. Response: When a location is revealed from the encounter deck, during a phase when the attached hero is committed to quest, exhaust this attachment to immediately discard the location from play.

Resource Generation:

- Hunting & Gathering: (Attachment) Cost 2. During the quest resolution phase, attached hero gains resources equal to the amount of increase in threat resulting from failed questing.

- Waste not; Want not: (Event) Cost 0. Response: when a non-creature enemy is killed, discard this event to gain resources equal to that enemies attack or defense value.

Threat Management:

- Into the unknown (Event) Cost 6 - Must be payed by at least one resource from each hero the player controls. Reduce your threat to zero and place this card in the staging area. During the refresh phase, place one resource token on this card. If two resource tokens are placed on this card, the player is eliminated.

Tactics Heroes:

Frodo - Threat 7 - Stats as per Spirit Frodo. Attacks defended by Frodo which are subject to Shadow effects do not inflict damage.

Sam - Threat 8. Will 1. Strength 2. Def. 2. HP 3. Sam gets +1 Will when Frodo is in play. Response. If Frodo leaves play, Sam gets Will 0.

Sam may carry up to 4 restricted attachments.

"I can carry the load of two men" (or something like that) Sam, Fellowship of the Ring
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Sam's ability would be better-represented by card drawing, because he carries the stuff, he does not use it.

Or maybe he could prevent Attachments from being discarded from play from other heroes by exhausting or taking a wound (representing that he has a replacement on hand).

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:

Questing:

- Erebror Battle Map (Attachment, Unique, Item, Restricted), Cost 4. Attached Hero gets Willpower 0. Response: When a location is revealed from the encounter deck, during a phase when the attached hero is committed to quest, exhaust this attachment to immediately discard the location from play.

great idea but I think it could be too strong. In Soloplay you would never have to deal with any locations. At least there should b revealed a substitute card. (If this is a location again you can't cancel it as your map is already exhausted, if it is an enemy or treachery you have a card you can (hopefully) deal better with than with locations.


Other idea I had once: Action card, Chose a location card with X threat and discard this location. Look at the top X cards of the encounter deck. reveal al enemies to the staging area, discard all other cards.

Quote:

Resource Generation:

I don't think that tactics i lacking in this area. Ressource generation is the specialty of leadership and tactics already has Horn of Gondor

Quote:

- Hunting & Gathering: (Attachment) Cost 2. During the quest resolution phase, attached hero gains resources equal to the amount of increase in threat resulting from failed questing.

Too strong! consider the combination with the new Aragorn. Play this at start of game, than loose the first questing phases and you have huge ressource advantage. You should limit it to one or 2 ressources per questphase.

Quote:

- Waste not; Want not: (Event) Cost 0. Response: when a non-creature enemy is killed, discard this event to gain resources equal to that enemies attack or defense value.

sounds fine for me.

Quote:

Threat Management:

- Into the unknown (Event) Cost 6 - Must be payed by at least one resource from each hero the player controls. Reduce your threat to zero and place this card in the staging area. During the refresh phase, place one resource token on this card. If two resource tokens are placed on this card, the player is eliminated.

I don't get this card. Is it a bet - I'll win this quest within 2 rounds or I'm out?

Quote:

Tactics Heroes:

Frodo - Threat 7 - Stats as per Spirit Frodo. Attacks defended by Frodo which are subject to Shadow effects do not inflict damage.

Nice idea to handle the low hitpoint of the hobbitheroes.

Quote:

Sam - Threat 8. Will 1. Strength 2. Def. 2. HP 3. Sam gets +1 Will when Frodo is in play. Response. If Frodo leaves play, Sam gets Will 0.

Sam may carry up to 4 restricted attachments.

"I can carry the load of two men" (or something like that) Sam, Fellowship of the Ring

Very thematic! But personally I don' like heroe which have different stats depending on which other heroes are in play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
Avatar
mb
Fluxx wrote:
nssxxx wrote:

Questing:

- Erebror Battle Map (Attachment, Unique, Item, Restricted), Cost 4. Attached Hero gets Willpower 0. Response: When a location is revealed from the encounter deck, during a phase when the attached hero is committed to quest, exhaust this attachment to immediately discard the location from play.

great idea but I think it could be too strong. In Soloplay you would never have to deal with any locations. At least there should b revealed a substitute card. (If this is a location again you can't cancel it as your map is already exhausted, if it is an enemy or treachery you have a card you can (hopefully) deal better with than with locations.



Other idea I had once: Action card, Chose a location card with X threat and discard this location. Look at the top X cards of the encounter deck. reveal al enemies to the staging area, discard all other cards.

Quote:


- True. But is it any stronger than Asfaloth? It has 4 cost. The hero may not always be free to quest. Fills up a Restricted Attachment slot.

I like your idea a lot. I would like to bring back the uppermost enemy from the discard pile but feels a bit wordy in explanation for card text??

Resource Generation:

I don't think that tactics i lacking in this area. Ressource generation is the specialty of leadership and tactics already has Horn of Gondor

Quote:


Horn of Gondor: Only one in a core set. Not that great in solo play.

- Hunting & Gathering: (Attachment) Cost 2. During the quest resolution phase, attached hero gains resources equal to the amount of increase in threat resulting from failed questing.

Too strong! consider the combination with the new Aragorn. Play this at start of game, than loose the first questing phases and you have huge ressource advantage. You should limit it to one or 2 ressources per questphase.

Quote:



True. Lore Aragon breaks this. Change to:

- Hunting & Gathering: (Attachment) Cost 2. During the quest resolution phase, attached hero gains resources equal to the amount of Progress Tokens resulting from questing.

?

- Waste not; Want not: (Event) Cost 0. Response: when a non-creature enemy is killed, discard this event to gain resources equal to that enemies attack or defense value.

sounds fine for me.

Quote:


Feels quite thematic to me.



Threat Management:

- Into the unknown (Event) Cost 6 - Must be payed by at least one resource from each hero the player controls. Reduce your threat to zero and place this card in the staging area. During the refresh phase, place one resource token on this card. If two resource tokens are placed on this card, the player is eliminated.

I don't get this card. Is it a bet - I'll win this quest within 2 rounds or I'm out?

Quote:


Yes, and is intended to be used as you approach threat of 50. Basically gives you two extra goes starting from threat zero.

Tactics Heroes:

Frodo - Threat 7 - Stats as per Spirit Frodo. Attacks defended by Frodo which are subject to Shadow effects do not inflict damage.

Nice idea to handle the low hitpoint of the hobbitheroes.

Quote:


Is designed to pevert the players mind that he would actually WANT shadow effects to resolve in this case, whereas frodo will need healing pretty soon if they do not.

Sam - Threat 8. Will 1. Strength 2. Def. 2. HP 3. Sam gets +1 Will when Frodo is in play. Response. If Frodo leaves play, Sam gets Will 0.

Sam may carry up to 4 restricted attachments.

"I can carry the load of two men" (or something like that) Sam, Fellowship of the Ring

Very thematic! But personally I don' like heroe which have different stats depending on which other heroes are in play.


I love the twins. Plus, really makes sense to have Frodo and sam in play together, and give sam a boost when Frodo is around.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:

I love the twins. Plus, really makes sense to have Frodo and sam in play together, and give sam a boost when Frodo is around.


Themewise they are great and I can see why many people love them. What I don't like is that when I chose one of the twin as hero I feel forced to chose the second one too. So my choices of combining heroes are shortened. At least the powergamer in me forces me to take most themed combination ;-)
Te other thing I don't like is that the threat costs are the average of the values they have solo and as a team. But as you will nearly never tak one of them without the other they are both underrated. The assignment of threatvalues isn't rocketscience and I'm sure it is a bit of for most heroes but it is the best valuation the game gives us...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
I actually think Tactics is really strong, especially in multiplayer. That being said, a dearth of good questing options is the sphere's primary weakness. I'd like to see something like:

Faramir (Tactics)
Hero
Threat Cost: 10
Willpower: 1
Attack: 3
Defense: 2
Hit Points: 4

Ranged.
Faramir gets +1 [willpower] for each facedown attachment he has.
Response: After Faramir participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, you may attach that card facedown to Faramir.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a very neat idea, actually.

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Starhawk77 wrote:
I actually think Tactics is really strong, especially in multiplayer. That being said, a dearth of good questing options is the sphere's primary weakness.

You're right. Tactic needs some cards which help either questing or getting rid of locations otherwise.

Quote:

I'd like to see something like:

Faramir (Tactics)
Hero
Threat Cost: 10
Willpower: 1
Attack: 3
Defense: 2
Hit Points: 4

Ranged.
Faramir gets +1 [willpower] for each facedown attachment he has.
Response: After Faramir participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, you may attach that card facedown to Faramir.

Great idea! It seems selfballancing - if his questvalue starts to become too good he will stop attaking and start questing more.
BUT I fear that together with unexpected courage he will be more unballanced than any other hero. After a few round he will be better in questing than Eowyn AND beeing a great Attacker too. Perhaps it could help if his ability only triggers if he kills the enemy on his own. Or some way to set a limit to his willpowermaximum...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea I would like to see is:

Siege Warfare (cost 3, event)
"Exhaust a [tactics] character to place X progress tokens on a location where X is that characters strength"

perhaps with "printed strength" if they think it would get out of control.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
Starhawk77 wrote:
I actually think Tactics is really strong, especially in multiplayer. That being said, a dearth of good questing options is the sphere's primary weakness.

You're right. Tactic needs some cards which help either questing or getting rid of locations otherwise.

Quote:

I'd like to see something like:

Faramir (Tactics)
Hero
Threat Cost: 10
Willpower: 1
Attack: 3
Defense: 2
Hit Points: 4

Ranged.
Faramir gets +1 [willpower] for each facedown attachment he has.
Response: After Faramir participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, you may attach that card facedown to Faramir.

Great idea! It seems selfballancing - if his questvalue starts to become too good he will stop attaking and start questing more.
BUT I fear that together with unexpected courage he will be more unballanced than any other hero. After a few round he will be better in questing than Eowyn AND beeing a great Attacker too. Perhaps it could help if his ability only triggers if he kills the enemy on his own. Or some way to set a limit to his willpowermaximum...
Apart from the name - i didn't have one yet - and the defense - I gave him 1 defense and also 9 threat - I had the exact same idea, but stopped when I noticed the combination with ready effects. Possibilities could be to limit to one attachment per round or to remove them all every time he quests. Or quests successfully. Or ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
quit and nuts wrote:
Fluxx wrote:
Starhawk77 wrote:
I actually think Tactics is really strong, especially in multiplayer. That being said, a dearth of good questing options is the sphere's primary weakness.

You're right. Tactic needs some cards which help either questing or getting rid of locations otherwise.

Quote:

I'd like to see something like:

Faramir (Tactics)
Hero
Threat Cost: 10
Willpower: 1
Attack: 3
Defense: 2
Hit Points: 4

Ranged.
Faramir gets +1 [willpower] for each facedown attachment he has.
Response: After Faramir participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, you may attach that card facedown to Faramir.

Great idea! It seems selfballancing - if his questvalue starts to become too good he will stop attaking and start questing more.
BUT I fear that together with unexpected courage he will be more unballanced than any other hero. After a few round he will be better in questing than Eowyn AND beeing a great Attacker too. Perhaps it could help if his ability only triggers if he kills the enemy on his own. Or some way to set a limit to his willpowermaximum...
Apart from the name - i didn't have one yet - and the defense - I gave him 1 defense and also 9 threat - I had the exact same idea, but stopped when I noticed the combination with ready effects. Possibilities could be to limit to one attachment per round or to remove them all every time he quests. Or quests successfully. Or ...

Well, I don't think it would actually be that problematic. You need: a) several enemies in play; and b) ways to ready the hero. Even then, it'll probably take two to three rounds before he matches Eowyn's willpower. Still, I suppose limiting the response to once per round might be a good idea. Alternately, it could be an expensive ally instead of a hero (maybe 3- or 4-cost). That way, you'd have to draw the card, and it would be considerably more fragile. I think unlimited response triggers would be fine in that scenario.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boghog
Germany
flag msg tools
nssxxx wrote:

Sam - Threat 8. Will 1. Strength 2. Def. 2. HP 3. Sam gets +1 Will when Frodo is in play. Response. If Frodo leaves play, Sam gets Will 0.

Thematically I would rather say: When Frodo leaves play, Sam gets Will 4.
Think of what Sam is capable of in the books when he believes Frodo to be dead from Shelob's sting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an idea for a Tactics Event to deal with locations (not entirely sure about the cost, could be up to 2, I guess).

Spread Out (Tactics; Event; Cost 0)

Exhaust X characters to put a total of X Progress Tokens on any number of locations in play.


Or a bit more powerful even...

Spread Out (Tactics; Event; Cost X)

Choose X locations in play. Then exhaust any number of characters to put a Progress Token on each chosen location for every character exhausted this way.

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.