Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I like listening to little known, but very talented music artists that have not yet "broken out" into the mainstream.

Simple task for this thread... I'm putting up two music acts that I think have a lot of talent and promise... and I'd like others here to do the same.

My two choices are both in New Zealand so they are basically local to me... especially the first one which is right in my area. Both are very talented and deserve more exposure to their music.

I'm hoping other geeks here can put up two song choices each as well... that way we can all share and discover some great music together.

Should be a fun list to see the talented performers everyone can share here.

This first song is by a group called The Peasants. Very good young band and the lead singer in particular is extremely talented. I hope to hear a lot more from them in the future..

The second song is from another young Kiwi artist who is also very talented and I can see really big things from her in the near future if she continues to write and perform at this high standard.

I put up a simple acoustic radio station version of this song because I wanted to show a really raw/unproduced version of the song so you can really see her true talent and abilities.

I'm always amazed when I come across such "pure" talents like these. It's like finding little gems that give a spark to your life that only comes from finding something unique and "real".

Again... please add to the thread with some discoveries of "unknowns" of your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
nexttothemoon wrote:
I like listening to little known, but very talented music artists that have not yet "broken out" into the mainstream.
How many "very talented music artists" actually "break out into the mainstream" anymore? Any amount of above-average singer/songwriter abilities are not in demand currently. You need a bangin' tight teenage body & a pretty face to match (unless you're Gaga, then the face part is negotiable by marketing the costumes & makeup & hair weirdness instead.) Some music company svengali will hire someone to bequeath you a dubstep or hiphop beat and up-up-and-away you go into pop music stardom. People toiling with guitars in coffee shops will be waiting tables until they die. Sad but true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amanda Shires. Great songwriter and a nice voice. Good fiddle player too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
fightcitymayor wrote:
nexttothemoon wrote:
How many "very talented music artists" actually "break out into the mainstream" anymore? Any amount of above-average singer/songwriter abilities are not in demand currently. You need a bangin' tight teenage body & a pretty face to match (unless you're Gaga, then the face part is negotiable by marketing the costumes & makeup & hair weirdness instead.) Some music company svengali will hire someone to bequeath you a dubstep or hiphop beat and up-up-and-away you go into pop music stardom. People toiling with guitars in coffee shops will be waiting tables until they die. Sad but true.

While that's all true... that's the very reason I like discovering talented "real" artists instead of listening to the overproduced and repetitious dreck on the airwaves. There is a lot of talent out there and it just takes a little more work and searching to find it... because as you say, what's constantly pumped out to us isn't high quality or unique material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Gozu:

Also, Gozu:

And did I mention Gozu?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Betty Soo would qualify.

I'm adding Yui as well. She's famous in Japan, but pretty much unknown in the west outside Anime fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.