Dominion: Dark Ages» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #5 - Necropolis, Overgrown Estate, Hovel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer

Here they are at last, the Shelters. In an all Dark Ages game, your starting deck is 7 Coppers, Necropolis, Overgrown Estate, Hovel. When mixing sets up, the rule for using Shelters is similar to the Platinum / Colony rule.

Shelters may not be worth the 1 VP of an Estate, but they are way better to have in your deck. Necropolis lets you go a little heavier on terminals from the get-go. Overgrown Estate gives you an extra little treat if you ever manage to trash it. And Hovel has a built-in way to get rid of it - you move out of that Hovel, and into a nice Duchy or something.

You can't buy Shelters, but they cost $1. That's just to shake up how various cards interact with them. A Remodel doesn't take you as far as it used to. And with only one being a Victory card, that Crossroads doesn't go to as many places. Baron doesn't know what to do with these. And an Ambassador can't even give them away, since they have no piles to return to. On the other hand, they are fine places to get animals for your Menagerie. And how much exactly can you build Fairgrounds up to now, in games without Black Market? Man. A lot.

Even though I previewed 15 cards, only 9 of them were kingdom cards. There are 26 kingdom cards left that you haven't seen. That's as many as a whole set! It's like there weren't any previews at all. And yet they're over. Someone will no doubt post the card list after the set comes out at GenCon next week, and I will post a Secret History shortly afterwards.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten ◄► Wesel
Germany
Pinneberg-Quellental
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorful, but the first card have to be red-white instead of white-red to match those other to. OK, that's not a real problmen, but it's the first thing I see, when comparing those 3 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nakamura
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Awesome card art!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarjei Aasen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there are NOT necessarily any trashers in a Dark Ages game (a game with Shelters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, Donald. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain
Estepona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

It's like there weren't any previews at all. And yet they're over. .

Does this mean i actually have to do some WORK at this hour coming days?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

And an Ambassador can't even give them away, since they have no piles to return to.

Interesting. Do you still remove them from your hand if you choose to return them, despite the fact they cannot be returned?

EDIT - never mind, found related Black Market issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Jünger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thats cool. I had never think that shelters will be something like this.
Now i think a game with Dark Ages will be very interesting and the first few turns will be very different as plays with other expensions

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Altman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Yay Shelters! So are the use of Shelters and Colonies determined independently, or is it only possible to have one of the two?

Also, note that this implies that "Ruined Village" can't be +2 actions, as that's Necropolis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the arguments now with Baron. "it says estates", "yea, but not OVERGROWN estates".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee Jay
Australia
flag msg tools
Wow, what a great way to add an awesome new dimension to the game while keeping it so simple at the same time! Finally, games without villages will still have a chance for combos, people won't rush for the same starting cards... Councilroom will have to rethink their top starting cards now as well!! Awesome work DXV for breathing another breath of life into an already amazing game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of me thinks Donald just wanted to have these color combinations on some cards.

I love the artwork on Overgrown Estate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovel is my favorite artwork I have seen in this game. Love the colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald, I look forward to showing your creations to the public next week in the RGG room. Great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are the Shelter color bands flipped on Overgrown Estate and Hovel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniffnoy wrote:
Yay Shelters! So are the use of Shelters and Colonies determined independently, or is it only possible to have one of the two?

Also, note that this implies that "Ruined Village" can't be +2 actions, as that's Necropolis...

Ruined Village will be +1 Action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to play with these new cards. Those previews are awsome! Thank you very much for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
Part of me thinks Donald just wanted to have these color combinations on some cards.

I love the artwork on Overgrown Estate.

We can't see the fountain, but I'm pretty sure that's the same building from the new Base Card art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurray for more feasible double terminal action openings!

Also, Great Hall is a pretty good first or second buy now if your hovel is in hand. Insta-trash! edit: Island is also even nicer to open with.

Remake, Develop, Remodel, Upgrade, Bishop, Apprentice and such have a different situation to work with now.

Even Chapel is different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald, thank you for taking the time to post these previews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's take a step back.

Overgrown Estate does absolutely nothing. Even when trashed, you only get the card you would have gotten if this one was not there.

Hovel does even less than nothing. It is replaced with whatever Victory you buy later on.

Necropolis is the only one that does something.

That said, I really like the cards so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martín Borda
Argentina
San Nicolás de los Arroyos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
Club de Juegos SN
badge
San Nicolás de los Arroyos, Bs.As., AR
mbmbmbmbmb
kamekkusu wrote:
Sniffnoy wrote:

Or +1 Card +1 Action...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Altman
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
mborda wrote:
kamekkusu wrote:

Or +1 Card +1 Action...

Unlikely; giving that to someone wouldn't hurt them at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee Jay
Australia
flag msg tools
How may of us have had 5/2 hands and bought nothing with the $2 when there's nothing to buy except estates? Finally it may be a strategic move to buy that $2 estate on the first or 2nd turn... If it means having a card that's worth 2 instead of 1 (by trashing the Hovel) you may be able to develop/upgrade to something slightly better. I'll feel much happier to at least having a choice on the 5% (or less) of games where this happens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hansbro wrote:
Let's take a step back.

Overgrown Estate does absolutely nothing. Even when trashed, you only get the card you would have gotten if this one was not there.

Hovel does even less than nothing. It is replaced with whatever Victory you buy later on.

Necropolis is the only one that does something.

That said, I really like the cards so far.

Taking a step back forward. If you buy an great hall or island with hovel in hand that's much different than only having estates left in your hand. The estates don't get rid of themselves.

Same thing for Og.Estate. IF you trash an estate, you don't get to draw a bonus card, cycle your deck one card, and possibly get another spending coin or more this turn. However, with Salvager in play, things might equal out mostly (trash a card for it's coin value).

Still, I think the shelters are pretty cool and could create all kinds of interesting situations that we haven't seen before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.