Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Close Combat in Fordable River rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
killy9999
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Crimissos River scenario and a question came up regarding fordable river. Do I understand correctly that when close combat occurs and one of the participants stands in the river then the attacker always uses 2 dice and it doesn't matter if it's him who stands in the river or his opponent? And the same for battle back - only two dice, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
yes 2 dices for cc whoever fights, only the range combat varies, standing unit inside river rolls 1 dice, outside standing unit fires to a unit in river with 2 dices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killy9999 wrote:
I just played Crimissos River scenario and a question came up regarding fordable river. Do I understand correctly that when close combat occurs and one of the participants stands in the river then the attacker always uses 2 dice and it doesn't matter if it's him who stands in the river or his opponent? And the same for battle back - only two dice, right?

Are you wondering about the rationale? (You might not be but I'll expand on the previous answers in case you are ). There are a couple of terrain rules in C&C:A which are non-intuitive, making them a bit harder to understand (hills' lack of effect on movement being another). In each case I think there is both game balance and abstracted simulation logic at play (which C&C:A does so well).

In the case of close combat in rivers.....from a game balance point of view it makes river crossings possible (otherwise they would almost always be suicide for the army that blinked first and entered the river).

From a simulation point of view it reflects both armies, attacker and defender, having to get down onto the muddy banks and into the shallows to slug it out, placing them on equal (soggy) footing. Should an army staying on the dry bank and defending have an advantage? Yes....and anyone who has tried to force a river crossing with their Heavies against a line of determined Auxilia will have experienced how simply and elegantly it plays out in game.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.