Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Ashrian in 2P games - unbalanced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow boardgamers,

What do you think about Ashrian in a 2P game?



I think her ability makes a great impact in the game, since all the "big" monsters will be Minions in a 2P game, she can move and neutralize a big guy since the beggining of the game.

What to do in this case? (in an OL perspective)
Is there a way to avoid the Stun?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew loses (again)
Malta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The overlord is best off either accepting the stun and using the monster's single action to splatter Ashrian. Or sacrifice a monster to keeping her at a distance while pursuing objectives with whatever forces remain.

As she has a strength of 2, she's vulnerable to web traps and so can be halted if it's absolutely necessary.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can avoid the stun by killing her before you activate the monster she is adjacent to. The monster is only stunned when it is activated, not at the start of the overlord's turn. So if you can kill her with other monsters around, then the monsters she was standing next to cannot be stunned (since when they activate she won't be on the board). Also remember it's only Minion monsters that she stuns.

Also, it sounds like you're playing that Stun takes the figures whole turn. While this is a valid interpretation of the card, the general consensus is that the other interpretation is what FFG meant (that Stun only eats up the next action, not the next turn, or in other words, Stun eats up half a turn).

-shnar
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Also, it sounds like you're playing that Stun takes the figures whole turn. While this is a valid interpretation of the card, the general consensus is that the other interpretation is what FFG meant (that Stun only eats up the next action, not the next turn, or in other words, Stun eats up half a turn).

-shnar


How is that a valid interpretation?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather not hijack this thread and rehash what's been said in other threads, if you wish to participate in the discussion, view:

So anything can be stunned?
Stunned vs Frenzy
Standing Up vs. Stunned - our interpretations and a conversation starter
and...about the last hero ?

The point is rather it feels like the OP is following the stun-cancels-next-turn interpretation, and so might consider following the other interpretation (though he's free to do either until a FAQ and still be within the rules).

-shnar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming Stun takes away one Action and not two (which I believe to be the intent), another thing you can do is just forgo a movement and attack Ashrian with the Stunned Minion. Use Action 1 to shake off Stun, use Action 2 to attack her, since she is necessarily adjacent.

I can't find in the rule book the exact wording for Stun. Is it on the cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
(though he's free to do either until a FAQ and still be within the rules).

-shnar


No. He's not. Once a figure uses its first action to get rid of the card or token, it no longer has that card or token and can therefore take a second action. Otherwise, Ashrian really would be broken. As is, she's scary, but far from broken.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played RAW.

Here's the Stun card
 


For me it makes sense Stun being worked the way described in the card, just like Standing Up. It's a one-turn one-action only. Makes sense to be that way.
Example: we managed to get around Standing Up with the Hero Revive action, that way 1 Hero will lose 1 Action but the other Hero, activated after the Revive, will get 2 Actions.

Of course this would result in having monster paralysis when playing Ashrian.

shnar wrote:
You can avoid the stun by killing her before you activate the monster she is adjacent to. The monster is only stunned when it is activated, not at the start of the overlord's turn. So if you can kill her with other monsters around, then the monsters she was standing next to cannot be stunned (since when they activate she won't be on the board). Also remember it's only Minion monsters that she stuns.


That's the way I tried to play. Of course the Hero player understood that and started to Tank her with the other Hero. But still, having her locking a big guy makes a great impact in the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Olsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
For me Stun is bright as sunlight a one action to remove and then one second action free of choise.

Its says that no other actions can be taken while you are in posession of this card.And is THE only action you may take WHILE having this card. Once removed you are no longer limited by the card.

By claiming that stun is just as bad as KO then people must start thinking of logics and game balance and not trying to read something into the card that is not there.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonke75 wrote:
For me Stun is bright as sunlight a one action to remove and then one second action free of choise.

Its says that no other actions can be taken while you are in posession of this card.And is THE only action you may take WHILE having this card. Once removed you are no longer limited by the card.

By claiming that stun is just as bad as KO then people must start thinking of logics and game balance and not trying to read something into the card that is not there.


Amen, brother!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Isn't there a Disciple skill that prevents adjacent monsters from making attacks? It seems to me that that's the big combo with Ashrian.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Both interpretations are valid and until official word comes from FFG, a group can play either way and still be within the rules. IMHO the ruling will be 1 action and not 1 turn, but until then...

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
*drink*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
oDESGOSTO wrote:
I've played RAW.
For me it makes sense Stun being worked the way described in the card, just like Standing Up. It's a one-turn one-action only. Makes sense to be that way.

You use the phrase "makes sense" as if losing one action instead of the whole round would somehow be unsensible.

Standing up only denies you both actions because there's a sentence that specifically states that's all you can do. There is nothing on the stun card that indicates a loss of actions, only that there's only one action you can take while you have the card. Perhaps it helps to whisper "while you have this card...while you have this card...while you have this card..." over and over, because that's the clause that gets mentally skipped over.

Quote:
That's the way I tried to play. Of course the Hero player understood that and started to Tank her with the other Hero. But still, having her locking a big guy makes a great impact in the game.

Yes, it's so overpowered that one might even say it doesn't make sense for her ability to work that way.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
steveg700 wrote:
oDESGOSTO wrote:
I've played RAW.
For me it makes sense Stun being worked the way described in the card, just like Standing Up. It's a one-turn one-action only. Makes sense to be that way.

You use the phrase "makes sense" as if losing one action instead of the whole round would somehow be unsensible.

Standing up only denies you both actions because there's a sentence that specifically states that's all you can do. There is nothing on the stun card that indicates a loss of actions, only that there's only one action you can take while you have the card. Perhaps it helps to whisper "while you have this card...while you have this card...while you have this card..." over and over, because that's the clause that gets mentally skipped over.

Quote:
That's the way I tried to play. Of course the Hero player understood that and started to Tank her with the other Hero. But still, having her locking a big guy makes a great impact in the game.

Yes, it's so overpowered that one might even say it doesn't make sense for her ability to work that way.


Thanks, Captain Obvious!
This issue has already been explained in this topic and in further ones...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
oDESGOSTO wrote:


Thanks, Captain Obvious!
This issue has already been explained in this topic and in further ones...

The function of the stun card very clearly weren't obvious to you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To me and to other boardgamers as well, counting the # of posts with this issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Yes, that's why the "Captain Obvious" monicker seems out-of-place.

Wasn't obvious to me either, FWIW. I too had the blind spot to "while you have this card" because "this is the only action you may perform" took front-and-center, which is why I suggested that little mantra.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.