Subject: What's with Gen Con Registration and Customer Service? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Egad! I attempted to register for Gen Con for the first time.
Will Call only. Gen Con 'scrip' that has to be used at the con for event ticket purchase and who knows what else. A very, very nasty, insulting response to my registration questions. This is what passes as customer service? In all, a downright negative and unfriendly introduction to the Con. Obviously, first-timers are not at all welcome.

I've decided that I won't be going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering this convention is 40,000+ people... I guess I'm surprised that you'd be surprised that it would be Will Call with less than a week till doors open? Also, Will Call doesn't mean "if we have an opening, you get a ticket (like at the theater), it basically just means "you pick up our badge on-site."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward F
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What pete said. It's way too close to the con for them to mail out badges and such.

Besides, will call is the way to go. I've been doing that for 5 years (at least). Don't have to worry about forgetting my badge at home (happened to a friend of mine).

Plus, will call pickup is 24 hours now I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it with Will Call. But rudeness to a noob? Surprised me, given that my experience here at BGG has been so friendly and helpful.

Will look for smaller boardgame conventions nearer to home. I worked a WorldCon and volunteered at DragonCon for years, and know the con drill.

The Gen Con folk I dealt with three times all had huge negative 'tude. Sad. I'm back into gaming with enthursiasm, but live too far from Lancaster to go to WBC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Berry
msg tools
Too bad that you're turned off Gen Con. But my sister and her husband are hard core board gamers and had a similar very bad experience like yours three years running. They stopped going to Gen Con and picked up DragonCon and the Lancaster tourneys.

Everyone's experience is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be an apologist, but I'm guessing it's just one of those "down to the wire" stresses. I was working with them about a month ago and they were nothing but helpful and kind to me with my goofy housing questions.

But yeah, I guess we can only be thankful that the convention experience is largely done without dealing too much with the "staff" on a heavy basis. Once you get your badge, it's what you personally make of it from there on out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Last year the Will Call line was 2-3 hours long. Prior years, it was 2-3 minutes long. Don't know what it will be this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Last year the Will Call line was 2-3 hours long. Prior years, it was 2-3 minutes long. Don't know what it will be this year.

Being that they are doing an "all night" Will Call on Weds, that should help out greatly. Noon-4am or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had nothing but great experiences with Gen Con an their customer service. Not sure what your expectations were or what you said, or what was going on at the time you called (it is a week til the con), but ... I registered back in like January, event submissions were like in Feb/March, housing block was like in Feb/Mar.

My badges and event tickets were received by mail a few weeks ago.

For those in the last minute camp - and a week or so before the event is last minute, there is no difference between showing up and buying a 4 day pass and doing it ahead of time, unless you are trying to register for events, which will need to be picked up at will call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Will call was only about 30 minutes for me and my wife. And the line was extremely long, even though we got inline at 12:08pm. No issues there, only with the fact that apparently two weeks is not enough time for them to print tickets and put them in the envelope. We purchased game library passes two weeks ago and they just printed them **yesterday**. So we waited in the customer service line for 45 minutes only for us to be told to come back in a few hours. This would have irritated me much more than it did if they weren't going to be open all night. Now, trying to register at the auction store? That's for another thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.