Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok,

I searched for a thread on this but didn't find it: I don't know if anybody here has ever played an online game called Astrowars. It is a 4x space game, but an MMO with thousands of registered players.

The game is a VP game that you can achieve in many ways: Combat, gaining levels, pushing your sciences, gaining population (by acquiring planets in other systems), and a few others.

You acquire new systems by colonizing planets through exploration and/or combat. You build new resources from those planets by building up population.

You use those resources to build buildings on the planets, which provide new resources, or to build fleet.

You can get lucky and "discover" new artifacts when you colonize a new planet.

Your ships your build are in three tiers, little, middle, small, and then there is the very efficient cost/defensive starbase too. The ships are upgraded by the player researching offensive, defensive, or energy sciences.

You can acquire artifacts to help with your resources.

You can enter into trade/diplomatic agreements to boost your production.

Sound familiar? I only post this because it is SOOOO similar to Eclipse and it has been around for like 10 years.

If you love Eclipse, you will at the very least, like Astrowars.

Oh, did I mention? Astrowars is a real time game. Meaning, that your resources only accumulate over a great many hours and a great many days. The game is on it 24th incarnation, each game takes like 3 months or so.

I love Eclipse and I played Astrowars for years. I wonder if the designer was influenced by AW at all? I know that a lot of the 4x games are similar so I am certainly not accusing anybody of anything. Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been dozens of 4X outer-space games over the years both for PC as well as tabletop. Certainly the design of Eclipse has been influenced by these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course. His bio lists several. I just see so many similarities that I cannot help but ask about this one in particular. It is because I like both so much. My friends and I, as we were playing Eclipse last night, were laughing about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Astrowars sounds just like Master of Orion to me...

That's been around for nearly 20 years.

I imagine Eclipse has had a lot of 4x influences, but Master of Orion must be an important one... it even has a big bad boss in the middle that yields great rewards when you kill it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to check Master of Orion out. I don't know that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:

Has to be Masters of Orion 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And not Masters of Orion 3, which was unfortunately a bit crap.

MOO2 though was (and still is) one of my favourite computer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:

This does not compute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.