Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Agents of SMERSH» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gambling with Smersh - Correct Ranking of Hands for a Stripped Poker Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Poker Gambling in Agents of Smersh uses a stripped deck (4 through Aces only).

Normally for a full deck the poker hand ranking is: Royal Flush, Straight Flush, Four of a Kind, Full House, Flush, Stright, Three of a Kind, Two Pair, Pair, High Card (as presented in the rule book).

However a stripped deck changes the relative occurrence of hands especially a flush (more rare).

So the correct ranking of hands when playing with such a stripped deck is actually: Royal Flush, Straight Flush, Four of a Kind, Flush, Full House, Stright, Three of a Kind, Two Pair, Pair, High Card

Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripped_deck#Stripped_decks_in...
http://www.pagat.com/poker/variants/italian.html

[Edit: post updated following discussion below. Rule book mistakenly says that 2s, 3s and 4s are missing in Fate Deck but it is actually only 2s and 3s. Even with a 44 card deck the rank of a Flush is still above a Full House although only marginally so. I think they are now sufficiently close to ignore the difference (given then extremely low probability of getting both in the same Gambling test).]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
The Poker Gambling in Agents of Smersh uses a stripped deck (5 through Aces only).

Normally for a full deck the poker hand ranking is: Royal Flush, Straight Flush, Four of a Kind, Full House, Flush, Stright, Three of a Kind, Two Pair, Pair, High Card (as presented in the rule book).

However a stripped deck changes the relative occurrence of hands especially a flush (more rare).

So the correct ranking of hands when playing with such a stripped deck is actually: Royal Flush, Straight Flush, Four of a Kind, Flush, Full House, Stright, Three of a Kind, Two Pair, Pair, High Card

Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripped_deck#Stripped_decks_in...
http://www.pagat.com/poker/variants/italian.html

This is serious business you know! Success of the entire mission could hinge on one card hand! Peoples lives can hang in the balance based on the outcome of a single card game. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. In fact, with the stripped deck provided players can play any game they like. The one I devised was created for speed. I wanted gambling to be very fast - so the game would not drag. And for that purpose, it works well.

Also, if desired, you can buy and add a full deck of cards to your game to play with instead of the Fate Deck.

I just uploaded pictures to BGG of the first game with the advance copy and the book. We had a great time defeating Dr. Lobo. The guys I played with rolled really well without fail. Lobo didn't stand a chance. World disaster averted for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually really like what you've done with the triple use of the Fate Deck (random locations, random cards and random encounter numbers).

I did note that the Rulebook says that there are 44 Fate cards in the game however 5 through A is only 40 cards. Is the card count in the rule book wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I tell you 5 through Ace? It's 4 through Ace. Sorry I told you incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked the rule book again. While the gambling section says that 2s, 3s & 4s are not included you can clearly see that the 4 of Diamonds is pictured on the right of the page.

Does this mean that the card count is right but the text is wrong and that only the 2s and 3s are missing?

[Ninja'd by Jason. ninja Yes card count is correct, only 2s and 3s are missing.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay geeking out here but ... but even with a 44 card deck (4 through A), the Flush should still be higher than a Full House.
(A raw frequency of 1816 for the Flush versus 2640 for the Full House).

However it will be even rarer occurrence that one hand gets a Flush and the other get Full House or vice versa (such that the difference matters) and the difference between the two hands is now not that much anyway (rather than an order of magnitude difference with a 40 card deck).

So I'd suggest that standard 52 card deck poker rankings are close enough. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know strip poker was a part of this game. Sign me up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be in the first expansion devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zarm R'keeg

Pennsylvania
msg tools
A little thread necromancy, I suppose, on a related issue. When gambling, what happens if you get tied hands? For instance:

A. The player has a pair of 7s. The house also has a pair, but they're 5s. Does the higher pair win, as per actual poker - or, by a literal reading of the rules, does the fact that the player failed to gain a clear higher hand mean that it's counted as a loss?

B. Neither player nor the house have anything but a high card. Both high cards are Kings. What does this mean? (We counted it as a fluke do-over.) Or does lack of higher hand equal failure, as above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zarm R'keeg

Pennsylvania
msg tools
Soooooo... anybody have any ideas on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In those cases I would treat it as standard poker rules. Higher pair wins, and if high card is tied, look at next highest card. But if you want to house rule and re-draw in cases of high card tied, go right ahead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zarm R'keeg

Pennsylvania
msg tools
I much prefer to follow than to house-rule. I'm a poker ignoramus, so I wasn't familiar with the 'next higher card'; that makes for a perfect tie-breaker when there is no higher pair. Thanks, on both counts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.