Heroica: Nathuz» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Rogue vs the Dagger rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Banjo
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm putting together some play aids and it just occurred to me that the Dagger is the only weapon that gives another hero the EXACT SAME 'power' of its related hero (i.e. the Rogue)!

For example, the Wand has less range than a Wizard's same power and an Axe doesn't give a bonus move after attacking as with the Barbarian. However, the Rogue has no such 'advantage' over any other hero who buys a Dagger from the store: both will have the special skill "Melee: defeat the monster and take 1 gold from the store".

Does anyone have any ideas for - or already use - a simple tweak that would give the Rogue a step-up over a Dagger-wielding Wizard or Barbarian? I'm thinking of something in line with how the other weapons/hero classes work, nothing complicated.

The most obvious is to let the Rogue gain TWO gold instead of one, but I'm not sure if that's too overpowered? Rolling the dice for a random chance to gain extra gold (beyond one) would be more balanced, but I think it would add too much extra rolling for one hero class alone.

What if the Rogue also got a "bonus move" (like the Barbarian or Prince from Ilrion after their melee attacks) of one space? That would tie in with him being a 'sneaky and fast' character, but making it only one space still keeps the "bonus two space" Prince class with an advantage of his own.

What do others think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Banjo wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas for - or already use - a simple tweak that would give the Rogue a step-up over a Dagger-wielding Wizard or Barbarian?

To simulate the increased lethality of a rogue's sneak attack, I considered two possible tweaks concerning the attack die roll: I still haven’t had the chance to test them though.
If you’re interested they are:

1) whenever the rogue attacks, he ignores the skull in the Sword and Skull pane and only resolves the sword as in the regular Sword only panes;

2) alternatively, by customizing a Heroica die, you replace a Skull pane with a Sword, so that the rogue gets three Swords instead of two and only one Skull when he rolls the die to resolve combat.

They’re small tweaks that give the rogue both a slight advantage besides the gold piece and a better chance at success when attacking.

In my opinion both of them would fit thematically as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no need to house-rule the dagger, in my opinion.
You need to pay 3 gold to acquire it. So you need 3 shields in combat afterwards, just to break even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
There is no need to house-rule the dagger, in my opinion.
You need to pay 3 gold to acquire it. So you need 3 shields in combat afterwards, just to break even.

Basically this.
The Axe and Dagger are the worst weapons to buy from the store.
The Axe because its Special almost never happens.
The Dagger because you have to spend 3 gold for a chance to maybe get back your investment, where you could have just spent the 3 gold on something else.

My fixes are that the Barbarian gets another Full Turn if he rolls the Shield during combat, and the Axe just gets 'move 1 space' after killing everything.

For the Daggers, I sometimes just throw them in as random stuff on the map to pick up.

Alternately, you could give the Rogue a "trap opening" ability or something. Either more Gold/less traps on Chests, or better odds on map hazards (rocks/coffins/etc...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soma CowJ
msg tools
You guys are really thinking! I love that!

FYI, as of the ILRION release, the Prince/Sword also have "the EXACT SAME 'power' of its related hero", which is: move 1 space and defeat an adjacent monster, as shown here on the official website:
http://heroica.lego.com/en-us/BookOfLore/Default.aspx#hero+-...
and here:
http://heroica.lego.com/en-us/BookofLore/weapons.aspx

I am also very interested in Nicola G's idea for a class-custom die, as he mentions: "alternatively, by customizing a Heroica die, you replace a Skull pane with a Sword, so that the rogue gets three Swords instead of two and only one Skull when he rolls the die to resolve combat." This lets the dice do the work, instead of the Player, which is always a good idea.

Lots of things to think about there.

Keep up the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SomaCowJ wrote:
FYI, as of the ILRION release, the Prince/Sword also have "the EXACT SAME 'power' of its related hero", which is: move 1 space and defeat an adjacent monster, as shown here on the official website:
http://heroica.lego.com/en-us/BookOfLore/Default.aspx#hero+-...
and here:
http://heroica.lego.com/en-us/BookofLore/weapons.aspx

Not if you go by the Instructions in the game they don't.

Knight: Ranged, Move 2 spaces, defeat a Monster.
Prince: Melee, Defeat a Monster, then move 2 spaces.
Sword: Ranged, Move 1 space, defeat a Monster.

Either their website is wrong, or they changed things in subsequent printings.

Also, that link to the weapons shows a "Book of magic" for the Sage, there is no such item in the physical game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.