BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Short! games (25 minutes or less) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I see a recommendation thread for short games, I always see things come up like Carcassonne, Citadels, Bang or Bohnanza. Sure, they are short in today's 90-120 minutes game world, but I'm looking for short short games.

I mean games like For Sale, Hey That's My Fish, Incan Gold. I've heard about some popular ones, but there must be some flying under my radar.

What am I looking for (in descending order of importance)?

- Games that last 25 minutes or less (even with new players!), Explanation and setup combined cannot take longer than 10 minutes. (edit: clarification)
- No 2-player games. No games that need at least 4 players.
- No standard card games in disguise, so Tichu and The Great Dalmutti are out.
- (edit, added No complex texts, unless it's available in Dutch. Really simple English is okay, though.
- A high ranking is not important, but fun is.
- I prefer games with a board, but please do not hesitate to recommend me card games. It'd be a shame if I miss the game I'm looking for just because it doesn't have a board.

Thanks guys (and gals)!

PS1: If you're in doubt, it probably is too long.
PS2: (edit) Games that have different identical rounds or are played to a number of points are fine too. For instance, Saboteur says that you should play three rounds, but playing one or two rounds feels like a complete game as well. Or in Take 5, you're supposed to play to 66 points (which is about 5 rounds), but you might just play to 33 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Schoeberle
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sons and I play Fairy Tale when we need something in that time range. It is a fun quick game that has more to it than might appear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't own it, but am looking at getting it, but Tsuro might qualify
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsuro certainly qualifies.

Monopoly Deal Card Game, Suitors, Coloretto, Archaeology: The Card Game are a few others that should fit your criteria.

As I was looking at my collection, most of my "short" games are 30 min (listed playing time) - 5 min over your criteria!

If you want some 30 min games, let us know - I'd be happy to list those.

Good luck with your search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renata Palheiros
Brazil
Niteroi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.
Balloon Cup, DragonHeart, Blokus Duo are 3 quickly games for 2 players that I recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
As I was looking at my collection, most of my "short" games are 30 min (listed playing time) - 5 min over your criteria!
That's the clue. There are a lot of games that play in 30, but a whole lot less that play in 20. My aim is not to go over 30 minutes, including Setup and Explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Master Merchant is a little different
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo
Biblios
Roma (will need aids for the cards, though)
Blokus or Gemblo (need players who won't try to analyze everything)
Loupin' Louie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
A Fistful of Penguins

I think this might do well, as it is short and flexible in terms of number of players. No board.

There is now an iOS version if you want to try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No Thanks! typically takes fewer than 5 minutes.
Relationship Tightrope is just a 9 (?) short rounds
Wildlife Safari is very short.
Excape is very short.
Forthcoming game Escape: The Curse of the Temple is played in real-time in a 10-minute round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, in no particular order:
Can't Stop
7 Wonders
Crokinole
Excape
Fairy Tale
Quarriors!

I left Dominion and Puzzle Strike off the list, as although our group plows through games of those in 15-20 minutes per, first games certainly aren't that short. When you know all the cards/chips, you can bang games out quickly but initial games are going to overshoot that 25 minutes by a long shot.

My favorite short game is easily Crokinole though. So easy to teach, so quick to play. It's a pity the initial investment is so high, but I really can't stress how much it's totally worth it. In dollars per hour spent playing, it's probably my best gaming investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Jungle Speed hasn't been mentioned yet.

What about The Resistance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
That's the clue. There are a lot of games that play in 30, but a whole lot less that play in 20. My aim is not to go over 30 minutes, including Setup and Explanation.

Some of the games I have that are 30 min (Biblios and Can't Stop just off the top of my head) could play in less than 30 minutes but I decided to go with published play times. I suppose the number of players would affect the play time. I think 2-player game of Biblios would easily be completed within 30 minutes.

I'll just follow published play times - makes things a lot easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
What about The Resistance?
One of my favourite games, but not what I'm looking for here. Minimum number of players is 5, and I'm looking for games that I can play on many occassions, even when there's only four of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For Sale is a blast and plays very quickly. Everyone I've taught it to enjoys it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Felix: The Cat in the Sack hasn't been mentioned yet.

Edit to add:
Zooloretto Würfelspiel
Pickomino
5 vor 12
R-Eco
Dutch Blitz (aka Ligretto) - maybe standard in disguise?
2nd edit to add:
Circus Flohcati
Familienbande - maybe, not sure how well it plays at different numbers of players.

+1 to No Thanks. Definitely play the strategy variant (included in rules) where everyone knows the 10, 20, & 30 have been removed from the deck (plus six others that are secret and random) and players have only 10 chips each.

Fairy Tale might run slightly over 30 min with explanation. Zooloretto Würfelspiel is offered as a shorter alternative to Coloretto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often play a 20 minute game of Dixit in my lunch break at work, with 4-6 players. There is no real set up/packing up time, and you can either play to a time limit, or give each player one turn as storyteller each. This amounts to about 20mins for 6 players. We can get 2 turns in per player in 30 minutes. Player with highest score wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys, I've seen some interesting games here that I would have never heard of otherwise. I'll reply to individual answers when I have a bit more time.

I often see "estimated playing time" 30 minutes (for instance Biblios, 7 Wonders, King of Tokyo), but am I able to both Set the game up, Explain it, and Play it in 30-35 minutes? I find Biblios very interesting, but I think it'll be 45 minutes or so when I play it with three other players who haven't played before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RattleSnake.

Takes 30 seconds to explain and five minutes to play. It's a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I've seen some interesting games here that I would have never heard of otherwise. I'll reply to individual answers when I have a bit more time.

I often see "estimated playing time" 30 minutes (for instance Biblios, 7 Wonders, King of Tokyo), but am I able to both Set the game up, Explain it, and Play it in 30-35 minutes? I find Biblios very interesting, but I think it'll be 45 minutes or so when I play it with three other players who haven't played before.

Haven't played Biblios, but the two other would probably take more than 25 minutes. Both are more like 45 mins in our group, but we are slow players, and I can see how both can be played in 30 mins, but only once you know the games fairly well.

Ca$h 'n Gun$ is very quick and loads of fun, and easily plays in 25 mins. Almost a party game, and is a bit dependent on the crowd, but I have great success with it in my gaming group.

Just to suggest something outside of the most commonly mentioned fillers, I will also mention Wings of War: Famous Aces. With the basic rules you can explain the game in no time, and 25 mins is certainly doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you haven't seen it yet, I recently made a thread looking for a game with rather specific requirements, one of which was short playing time. I got some good responses. You can check them out here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
BEAVERTON
Oregon
flag msg tools
Paris Connection might make it in 25 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:

- 7 Wonders: can be payed in 30 minutes but it takes at least 10 mintues to explain

- KoT is perfect, but the game length can vary. Short games are the norm, but i had a few 1h games also.

- Biblios fits perfectly into your criterias, but the first two to three plays it doesn't make any fun. Strategies are hidden (the few that exists)

Zombie Dice and Flash Duel: Second Edition might be worth a look. The first one has no setup time, is explained in 30 seconds and played in 2 minutes. The second suggestion can be explained in 2 minutes and played in about 10 to 20 minutes. Works with 2 and 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
In case you haven't seen it yet, I recently made a thread looking for a game with rather specific requirements, one of which was short playing time. I got some good responses. You can check them out here.
Thanks, I read your thread, but I found most of these games were all way too long. I'm glad that there are many people for who a reasonably or short length is an important factor.

I'm looking for games that last 25 minutes MAX (30-35, including setup and explanation). I'm very strict about the time limit. In no circumstances the game may last more than 25 minutes, even with newbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Experiment is a very fast 3-5+ player card game that will take 20 seconds to setup and less than 20 minutes per game. Not a family game as the theme is based around paranoia, back-stabbing, and deception. Also can get repetitive if played too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.