Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: iPad wargames (take 2) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There exists another iPad thread lying neglected in the greasy sump of BGG's plumbing.

Why start another one?

The iPad wargame terrain looked poor a few months ago and the thread mutated into....nevermind, I won't poison the well this early. But it's improving. A good iPad wargame is still something I desperately want so I can reclaim the tablet from my wife's side of the bed and purge it of Bananagrams. And so I stalk Pocket Tactics http://pockettactics.com/ daily.

Small General: Eastern Front https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sgeasternf... looks promising

Ben Hull has said GMT's Fields of Fire is soon rolling out.

Common people, there is hope, what else yeah got!?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Mission Touch provides a reasonable Combat Mission experience, in my opinion. Sure, there's still some issues like WWII tanks not acting realistically (as in they can fire while moving not to mention too often) but I've always had fun with CM and the touch version is no exception.

The game comes with seven scenarios but was increased to ten yesterday via free update (which included some minor game fixes as well).

If you've never liked the PC version, don't bother. Otherwise, for $5 not bad!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Academy. Without question the best wargame on the iPad right now.

I too am waiting for Fields of Fire and hope that it removes much of the immense fiddliness the print version has (plus the far-too-long gameplay time). Anything else from GMT would be a huge bonus (one can alwys hope for Combat Commander). Panzer Corps and others from Slitherine are coming. Bulge and others are coming from Shenandoah Studio.

+ I know of a number of other wargames in development for iOS that I am not at liberty to mention due to NDAs.

Wargames are coming for tablets. The UX and UI will be their success or failing.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B.
United States
Pasco
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrogdog wrote:
Combat Mission Touch provides a reasonable Combat Mission experience, in my opinion. Sure, there's still some issues like WWII tanks not acting realistically (as in they can fire while moving not to mention too often) but I've always had fun with CM and the touch version is no exception.

The game comes with seven scenarios but was increased to ten yesterday via free update (which included some minor game fixes as well).

If you've never liked the PC version, don't bother. Otherwise, for $5 not bad!


FYI, this is free at the moment, no reason not to give it a try.

Not sure how long the discount will last, may just be for the day.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just browsing and found Levée en Masse: http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/levee-en-masse/id535961061?uo...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Here is a bunch of games that to different degrees have war game mechanics and have a war theme.

Can't wait for Battle of the Bulge. This looks like a top quality real wargame on the iPad. If you don't know about it, check out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2102739237/battle-of-the...

Neuroshima Hex is great.

If you count risk or Axis & Allies clones, there are a ton, e.g. Conquist 2, European War 3, Emperor - the Dynasty

If you count Slay clones, there is another ton: e.g. Warlands (just got this an it looks fun even though the graphics are basic), Strategery, Strategy War, Comquest - Medieval Realms

Others:

Tank Battle 1944
Legion of the Damned
Autumn Dynasty
Ravenmark - Scrouge of Estellion
Pocket War HD
Keg Bearer




1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bakon wrote:

Can't wait for Battle of the Bulge. This looks like a top quality real wargame on the iPad. If you don't know about it, check out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2102739237/battle-of-the...


High hopes for this one too ... they had me when they started throwing around names like John Butterfield and Mark Herman (for the second release). Their updates look promising.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Warlords?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
usrlocal wrote:
martimer wrote:
Like Warlords?


Sorry, I should have specified historical wargames. That being said, I just popped over to the App Store to check it out. There are two 'Warlords' games, one being a port of the old SSG game (which is awesome!). Is that the one you're talking about? I also noticed that someone has done TSR's 'Divine Right' as an iPad game! :wow:

Problem with the App Store is the low signal-to-noise ratio. Easy to miss stuff like that. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!


Keep away from "Divine Right". This has nothing to do with the TSR game and is a very poorly put together app on its own terms.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Avatar
usrlocal wrote:
Bakon wrote:
usrlocal wrote:
martimer wrote:
Like Warlords?


Sorry, I should have specified historical wargames. That being said, I just popped over to the App Store to check it out. There are two 'Warlords' games, one being a port of the old SSG game (which is awesome!). Is that the one you're talking about? I also noticed that someone has done TSR's 'Divine Right' as an iPad game! wow

Problem with the App Store is the low signal-to-noise ratio. Easy to miss stuff like that. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!


Keep away from "Divine Right". This has nothing to do with the TSR game and is a very poorly put together app on its own terms.


Thanks for the heads up!


how does one stay abreast of new apps listed in our categories....its bad enuff scrolling thru all teh other sites we use let alone the crap app store.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
All I want in terms of an iPad wargame is a clean implementation of a hex-and-counter game with a reasonably competent AI and an ability to play others over the Internet.


Magic Realm, Victory in the Pacific, Breakout: Normandy, Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
a reasonably competent AI...*snip*...As simple as that sounds

That doesn't sound simple to me at all (but I'm not a programmer).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
usrlocal wrote:
JoelCFC25 wrote:
usrlocal wrote:
a reasonably competent AI...*snip*...As simple as that sounds

That doesn't sound simple to me at all (but I'm not a programmer).


If that's too ambitious, then a nice clean implementation of Vassal for iPad would suffice. I find that computerized AI's inevitably disappoint anyway.


Here is an impressive trailer of ZunTzu 2 running on an iPad - see: http://misternizz.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/sun-tzu-2-bringin...

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always had a soft spot for the old PC game Civil War Generals 2, if I could find an emulator I'd be playing it still. So that's given Civil War 1863 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/civil-war-1863/id514588332?uo... a good head start out of the gate, first impressions tell me it's no Battle Academy but at $1.99 its already been worth it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
I have always had a soft spot for the old PC game Civil War Generals 2, if I could find an emulator I'd be playing it still. So that's given Civil War 1863 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/civil-war-1863/id514588332?uo... a good head start out of the gate, first impressions tell me it's no Battle Academy but at $1.99 its already been worth it.


I'm curious enough about this title but bitten by their first tank effort, which was nothing more than a glorified Memoir 44 to my mind. Is this latest effort better? More of a true wargame?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
IGNITION - bringing enlightenment where once all was dark
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Here is an impressive trailer of ZunTzu 2 running on an iPad - see: http://misternizz.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/sun-tzu-2-bringin...


I think it may be vaporware.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Sitnam wrote:
I have always had a soft spot for the old PC game Civil War Generals 2, if I could find an emulator I'd be playing it still. So that's given Civil War 1863 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/civil-war-1863/id514588332?uo... a good head start out of the gate, first impressions tell me it's no Battle Academy but at $1.99 its already been worth it.


I'm curious enough about this title but bitten by their first tank effort, which was nothing more than a glorified Memoir 44 to my mind. Is this latest effort better? More of a true wargame?

On further review it's....meh. The scenarios are tiny and the game isn't deep enough for any kind of field craft or developed strategy.

$1.99 well spent, but until you can actually play a whole battle it'll collect dust on my desktop. Hopefully Hearts of Iron released in October will come through for me.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Agreed about Civil War 1863. Actually found it very easy to beat the computer on the hardest level and the scenarios too small to be interesting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearts of Iron is coming to the iPad:
Ain’t life grand: Hearts of Iron coming to iOS and Android in October
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
*bump*

An unexpected snag in bringing wargames to the iPad. I hope they change their mind.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unbelievable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Wow, so no war games are allowed on the ipad with this stance.

Insane.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


15.3 “Enemies” within the context of a game cannot solely target a specific race, culture, a real government or corporation, or any other real entity.



Just add an option for "invaders from mars" flags. Then the "solely" criteria is met.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent of the "rule" makes sense but it clearly was written by a lawyer without a decent peer review.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.