Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
[EDIT - pdf listing all the monsters for each encounter: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/81178/monsters-availab...]

Just how often can you actually use the 1e monsters in the 2e scenarios?

Are the scenarios very open letting you choose 1e monsters if you want to? Are the scenarios generally restricted to 2e monsters and sometimes allow you to choose 1e monsters?

My hope is that I will have a lot of different choices as to what I can use - I want variety!!!

[If no one can, or wants to, answer this then have no fear: I have the kit/game on order and will attempt a breakdown of which monsters can be fielded in each scenario.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
The "open groups" you choose for the quests are based on various trait icons found at the top of each quest and on the back of each monster card. So substituting 1E monsters for these open groups should be pretty flexible. The "pre-defined" groups in some of the quests will obviously be from 2E, but almost every quest has Open Groups, and you could exclusively use 1E monsters for those if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! Once my stuff comes in I will see if it is worthwhile to create a table listing the monster group options for each scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:
Thanks! Once my stuff comes in I will see if it is worthwhile to create a table listing the monster group options for each scenario.

That would definitely be useful!

(nice avatar btw)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:

Just how often can you actually use the 1e monsters in the 2e scenarios?

Robert, at our gamestore (The Matrix in N. Calif.) we have 2 campaigns going since my Conv. Kit arrived. As the former OL, I made a quick list for the new OLs to show them which new monsters they could use. Here it is:

Fat Goblin 1 -- (1) OPEN GROUP: Beastman / Giant / Manticore / Razorwing / Sk Archer / Sorcerer

Fat Goblin 2 -- (1) OPEN GROUP: Bane Spider / Naga / Ogre / Razorwing / Sorcerer

Daerion 1 -- (2) OPEN GROUPS: Bane Spider / Crypt Dragon / Manticore / Naga / Sk Archer / Sorcerer

Daerion 2 -- (1) OPEN GROUP: Ogre / Sk Archer / Sorcerer

Cardinal 1 -- (1) OPEN GROUP: Bane Spider / Beastman / Crypt Dragon / Demon Lord / Giant / Hellhound / Manticore / Razorwing / Sk Archer / Sorcerer

Cardinal 2 -- (3) OPEN GROUPS: Bane Spider / Crypt Dragon / Demon Lord / Hellhound / Manticore / Ogre / Sk Archer / Sorcerer

Masquerade 1 -- (2) OPEN GROUPS: Crypt Dragon / Demon Lord / Hellhound / Ogre / Sk Archer / Sorcerer

Masquerade 2 -- (2) OPEN GROUPS: Bane Spider / Crypt Dragon / Demon Lord / Hellhound / Manticore / Naga / Ogre / Razorwing / Sk Archer / Sorcerer

Death Wing 1 -- (1) OPEN GROUP: Beastman / Giant / Manticore / Razorwing / Sk Archer / Sorcerer

Death Wing 2 -- (1) OPEN GROUP: Beastman / Giant / Manticore / Ogre / Razorwing / Sk Archer / Sorcerer

The OLs are planning to use lots of new monsters. So far we've already seen Giants, Skeleton Archers (annoying Pierce ability), and Nagas (who are not as tough as they look).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jim,

The list is awesome, thanks! That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of.

There are several monsters you don't mention though:

Kobold
Ferrox
Deep Elf
Dark Priest
Blood Ape
Chaos Beast
Wendigo
[and more probably]

I'm thinking maybe you didn't have these figs so you didn't include them, or are they actually useless in this campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:
Jim,

The list is awesome, thanks! That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of.

Kobold
Ferrox
Deep Elf
Dark Priest
Blood Ape
Chaos Beast
Wendigo
[and more probably]

I'm thinking maybe you didn't have these figs so you didn't include them, or are they actually useless in this campaign?

Looking at the matrix, it only includes monsters from the 1E base set, so my guess is he doesn't have the expansions (or didn't go through their cards in the kit yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
P.O.G.G. wrote:
Jim,

Robert, you're right, the list is only for use in our local games and I don't have the expansions. Nobody else at our game store ever played the original Descent (although now they wished they had!).

Quick Edit: If we keep playing these campaigns I will add the other monsters and find figures to use but by that time someone will have a complete DL chart available. I can retire from list-making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gig gig
msg tools
Great question, Robert! Thanks for posting this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
tcollins wrote:
Great question, Robert! Thanks for posting this.

Thanks. Once my order comes in (this Friday, perhaps), I will be able to answer my own question and work on posting the answer. A quick cheat-sheet will save the OL having to review the monster card deck for each encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.