ElKitch Tasso
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Strategy Game X

While still working on an update for the Economy Chess software, I decided it would be nice to post a bit about another project: Strategy game X (it doesn't have a name yet).
This post will be about the making of the board, but Ill be posting more. Everyone is welcome to critisize, feedback and comment on everything! Anything is appreciated and helps me to make a better game.

This game is inspired by a bunch of games: Civilisation, Catan, Risk and Axis and Allies. It has undergone quite some changes since the first prototype. Not only the board, but also the rules. As for the last one: Im still typing the rulebook and hope to post it sometime soon as well.

The general idea:
You start with a king and queen that manage to 'free' themselves from their uncivilised little barbarian villages. The king and queen both found a settlement. Farmers harvest goods and with those you can upgrade your cities, buy units and build buildings. Raise taxes from the barbarian villages and buy special cards that help you develop and build. Meanwhile the barbarian villages where you came from protect themselves against you and other players.

The goal: kill the king of another player (or long game: kill all players)

The board of the game consists of 25 tiles, containing 3x3squares. These tiles are placed in a wooden frame showing the coordinates of every square (which is at a friend's place, so I didnt photograph the wooden frame).

The wooden frame has multiple functionality:
- it keeps the tiles together
- shows the coördinates of each square
- the coördinates also are the barb-o-meter (that monitors an increasing chance for barbarians to spawn or you getting reinforcements from barbarians)

Artists impression of the board with wooden frame around it:

Here's how I've made the tiles:

First you make the graphics on the computer. Ive send those to the a normal printing company. The had it printed on sticky label paper.

Ive cut the tiles out very roughly from the 'stickerpaper':

Then I stickered those on thickpaper (~1mm), allmost cardboard.

Then I've cut them out using very sharp hobby knife. Luckily my dad had one of these. They give perfect straight cuts. In the first prototype I didn't have 3x3 tiles, instead they where all single tiles. It took us hours of hard work to cut out ~300 of them! (only to find out while playing, that less random works better, so I made some 3x3 that could generate interesting landscape if you rotate them)

And this is what it looks like if you place the tiles 5x5 (should be in the wooden frame):

A close up:

Example of original image (32 different tiles) that was send to printingcompany (artwork by "not so photoshop experienced" me):

Hope you enjoyed the reading! If you are working on a boardgame and looking for ways to build a prototype: the printing costed me €7,- and the cardboards approx €12,-. Pretty cheap and the tiles look and feel great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A caution with that sticky paper stuff. I built one game with label paper and over time, it wore thin enough that anything underneath was visible. Good for short term, but saddened me a few months later with very little use and the amount of problems the prototype had.

I only use 'trublock' Avery labels for this kind of project now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ElKitch Tasso
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure which paperbrand I got, for a protype this seems good enough. Cant wait to continu making it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horus. I used the tiles from this game last time I needed tiles that were square. I like the bigger tiles, but yes, much harder to find already made sheets of that size and thickness in cannibalized board games. I did make a few RoboRally 6X6 homespun boards on old monopoly boards from the local thrift store. I used the backside so nothing bled through the stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.