Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aircraft Zone of Influence (ZOI) are in effect all the time. During strategic air transport I assume that each hex the aircraft moves projects it's ZOI thus neutralizing the ZOI of the enemy as it moves.

I assume then that it would be impossible for a non-LRB to enter an enemy un-neutralized ZOI during a strategic air transport. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I understand the rule, the EZOIs would have to be neutralized by other friendly air-capable units, in order for the Strategic Moving air units to be able to move into the EZOIs. When it is Strategic Moving it will not itself neutralize the enemy ZOIs. What you CAN do to circumvent this, is to do a normal move, and then continue in post-battle movement (PBM) up to the same distance as you would in Strat Move. No battle is required for PBM movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me seek to clarify what you are telling me.

Restricting our discussion to air units:

Do air units lose their aircraft zone of influence (ZOI) when they are moving between airfields using standard air movement?

Do air units lose their ZOI when they are moving between airfields using strategic air transport?

Do air units lose their ZOI when they are 'stopped' at an airfield in the middle of a strategic air transport?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antero Kuusi
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:

Do air units lose their aircraft zone of influence (ZOI) when they are moving between airfields using standard air movement?

Undefined in the rules, but irrelevant. ZOI does not affect standard air move and the aircraft do get their ZOI back when they have reached their destination.

Quote:

Do air units lose their ZOI when they are moving between airfields using strategic air transport?

Yes.

Quote:

Do air units lose their ZOI when they are 'stopped' at an airfield in the middle of a strategic air transport?

Yes. Basically, air unit doing a strategic move is not affecting anything else before it has reached the destination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That all makes sense and I believe it to be true, but I can't find anything in the rules to support it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule section 7.35 lists what kinds of movement are and are not affected by ZOI. Unfortunately, the section starts with a sentence "Aircraft ZOI are in effect at all times," which should have the caveat "except when the aircraft are conducting strategic movement."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it seems like we all play with that caveat that never made it into the rules or Q&A. That's is good enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antero Kuusi
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
So it seems like we all play with that caveat that never made it into the rules or Q&A. That's is good enough for me.

I thought that it was explicit in the rules somewhere, but at least now I can find that only for carriers (7.21, second paragraph). Likely a similar sentence for aircraft is simply missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.