United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After our playtest from two weeks ago we made some changes. We tweaked several of the ship customization cards in ways that we thought would increase both player interaction and the number of decisions to be made during play. For example, instead of Repair Crew simply healing a point of hull damage to any ship at the end of each encounter it now enables a player to heal her own ship or to fire a repair "missile" at a friendly ship -- in either case, replacing that ship's attack. Also, where Plasma Torpedos (deal 2 damage instead of 1) had previously been blocked from combining with other weapons we now made that an option. This obviously creates some offensive powerhouse options but forces the players to work together to defend their "glass jaw" ship.

Eddie, Jesse, Seth and Niko took on the noble rebels against my Evil Empire. Niko wanted to retry his ram special (especially since I added a second extra shield). By maxing shields and taking the ability to trade his move for restoring shields and the ability to trade his attack for an extra move he created a serious tank that could also make some major ram attacks.

Jesse also played a tank, taking Evemantium Hull for five extra hit points, Repair Crew and Shield Barriers (a new card that's somewhat similar to the shield spell in Catacombs).

Seth went offense, taking Drones with Plasma Torpedo.

Eddie took a balanced ship, with Cloaking Device for defense and Seeker Missiles. Both of these were changed from before. The original cloaking device was truer to the Star Trek inspiration -- you were effectively invisible to enemy ships until you fired, at which point you decloaked. That proved cooler in concept than in play so I changed it to require that any time the Evil Empire damages the cloaked ship it has to make a second missile attack on that ship; if the second attack doesn't hit then the cloaked ship takes no damage. Seeker Missile used to be less expensive but limited in use; this time it cost half the total build credits but is 'always on'. (If a Seeker missile misses but stays on the table you can make a second flick from where it ended up.)

Another significant change we made from last time was timing how many rounds it took players to win each encounter. The flavor was pretty straightforward -- this is a daring raid to strike at the Evil Empire's local base before defenses can be mustered. The slower they are, the more defenses can be put in place. Each encounter has a bonus time (making the subsequent round easier) and a penalty time (making it harder).

Another change to the encounters was adding in some Star Destroyers. Up 'til now, the Evil Empire ships were all weak and made up for this in numbers. Adding in some ships that could take a punch and keep hitting back made the encounters more interesting.

The end result was a huge plus. I've always enjoyed Space Flick and have gotten good feedback from playtesters (four separate people from last year's BGG.CON said they'd buy it if I published it in its current prototype form) but last night's session was the best yet. By spending all ten of his points on offense, Seth created a powerhouse but one that was obviously a very juicy target for me. This led to the players really working together and actually adopting a formation (OK, a loose one -- this is a flicking game!) in order to make Seth a difficult target for me to hit. More powerful ships seemed to lead to more interesting decisions, both for the players and for me, and each encounter was fun and tense. The round counting was also a big improvement -- it created a feeling of tension and kept the players being aggressive, but without forcing reckless play.

In the end the Evil Empire won a narrow victory. Jesse's lone ship was left to face my space station (all my ships were gone) and while I was a bigger target I also got two shots per turn and, more importantly, Jesse couldn't realistically destroy me before "reinforcements" arrived (the final scenario had an absolute deadline in rounds) unless he actually rammed me, in which case he would certainly blow up before the station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Post.

I am looking forward to playing this game.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.