Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to decouple searching from campaign progress from the heroes - I don't like the incentive to tank a mission in order to pick up all the search tokens, and on the other hand I've seen several maps where the heroes completely ignore searching to focus 100% on the objective, still fail it (barely) and then wish they had just bombed it and gotten all the money instead, hopefully to then win future maps with better gear. I want both teams to always be able to focus on trying to win the current scenario, and then to focus on campaign strategy between maps.

I know you get ~2 tokens per hero per map, and I know each search is worth on average more than 25 gold. So that says there's an upper average of maybe ~75 gold per player that they could get per mission. (ignoring travel cards, etc.) I'm not sure if the game is balanced for that or not, though. I'm not sure what the designers intended the loot progression to look like.

So I'm kind of brainstorming here -
- if you remove the campaign gold boost from search tokens, does searching become so useless in general that nobody would do it? (assuming you are still giving the heroes gold in some other way)
- maybe we could do it in halves - give the heroes a stipend per mission of gold, but then reduce the output of search cards by some fraction, which keeps you in the general bounds of the existing progression, but brings up the bottom of the curve.

Has anybody else played around with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yostage wrote:
I know you get ~2 tokens per hero per map

You get almost exactly 1 token per hero per map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's definitely an upside and a downside. I like the strategic approach of 'do we take this cautiously and search around' or 'do we go straight for the objective', but it does tend to change depending on the scenario. Some scenarios are so race-oriented that it's hard to get even one hero to search a single token. I wouldn't mind getting some free gold at the end of every scenario and eliminating the gold incentive on search cards, but at the same time, I think you would see a lot less searching.

Perhaps if you could keep any items you found from search cards indefinitely until used? Like, in between quests? After all, if you're removing the gold value from the search cards, there's no reason to "turn them in" after the quest is over. Then there'd also be ample incentive to search around, because you could keep anything you found for a rainy moment.

You might also add a limitation to the number of search cards the heroes could carry, such as one per hero, that way they can't hoard all the search cards in the game and just spam them during the Finale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feonix wrote:
Perhaps if you could keep any items you found from search cards indefinitely until used?

Not only do I really like this idea, I think you just gave me a use for all my old potion tokens from 1e.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe an easier solution is to remove the action requirement from searching? Maybe use 1 mp to search instead? The thief skill would remove the mp cost instead of the action cost. Might weaken the skill if limited to once a turn though like it is now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Currently listening to: "Arpitanian Lands" by Enisum
mbmbmbmbmb
Feonix wrote:
Perhaps if you could keep any items you found from search cards indefinitely until used? Like, in between quests? After all, if you're removing the gold value from the search cards, there's no reason to "turn them in" after the quest is over. Then there'd also be ample incentive to search around, because you could keep anything you found for a rainy moment.

This is how my group does it, but I'd like to know whether it's correct or not. If you can carry the treasure gained from Searching from one quest to the next, it increases the incentive to Search, in my opinion.

With regard to the OP, though, my group would not like the idea of decoupling Search tokens from the campaign progress. Deciding whether to Search or not is part of the fun and the challenge! It further aids in the immersion, as you can link the items to your memories of the adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
Yostage wrote:
I know you get ~2 tokens per hero per map

You get almost exactly 1 token per hero per map.

You're right, sorry. I meant 2 / quest for a normal quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Grell
United States
Winter Haven
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zythal wrote:
This is how my group does it, but I'd like to know whether it's correct or not.

You keep search items between the encounters of each quest but not between quests. After the gold value is counted, they are shuffled back into the search deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Connolly
United States
Greentown
Indiana
flag msg tools
I won the 1993 GenCon DnD Open
badge
My Game Convention Logo
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about rewarding search tokens at the end of an encounter even they were not revealed... but decided not to for two reasons:

1. It's takes away from one of the features of the Rogue/Thief Hero

2. I like the difficult choice aspect of mission vs search... I think hard decisions like this make games more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Currently listening to: "Arpitanian Lands" by Enisum
mbmbmbmbmb
Malgamus wrote:
Zythal wrote:
This is how my group does it, but I'd like to know whether it's correct or not.

You keep search items between the encounters of each quest but not between quests. After the gold value is counted, they are shuffled back into the search deck.

Cool! Thank you for the reply. We'll update the way we play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping search cards between quests would definetly overpower the heros. They could store up all the cards leaving just the treasure chest and the nothing found, thereby guaranteeing a new free item each encounter on a max of two searches. That would be two free items per quest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveMorgan wrote:
Keeping search cards between quests would definetly overpower the heros. They could store up all the cards leaving just the treasure chest and the nothing found, thereby guaranteeing a new free item each encounter on a max of two searches. That would be two free items per quest!

Yes it would. That's why I mentioned using potion tokens from 1e instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.