Subject: Looking for gateway deck-building with limitations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deck-building but NOT Dominion, RftG, or fantasy. Is there something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Race For The Galaxy has nothing to do with deck-building.

Tanto Cuore? :shrug: Oh wait... no fantasy. :shrug:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Knutson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2664/deck-pool-bu...

that takes a little while to get through.

I don't think that RftG is deck-building anyway.

One that I've played that is not 'fantasy': Resident Evil the Deck Building Game.

There's an upcoming DC comics heroes game.

There's also a Star Trek game (coming out soon, or already available... I'm not sure.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To my knowledge none exist.

What is it you like about deck building, but don't like about Dominion (because everything out and good is fantasy or not considered a gateway)? Maybe if you explain a little bit more about your likes and dislike (of deck-builders) we can steer you in a different/similar direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tired of Dominion's theme (middle ages), not into most BGG fantasy, though I love the Victorian alternate (like the old Space: 1889 stuff); didn't know RftG wasn't deckbuilding, what is it? I would like to build an engine other than middle ages and serious fantasy. Does this help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
RFTG is a combo-building, tableau-building card game built around a simultaneous action selection / role selection mechanism.

If all you want is a combo-based economic engine card game with a theme that isn't middle ages / fantasy, you could try 51st State.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Penny Arcade: The Game- Gamers Vs Evil is a good one, and the theme is Penny Arcade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is science fiction == fantasy? If not, try Core Worlds or Eminent Domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arctic Scavengers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sci-fi is definitely alright, Hey Nonny Mouse, you may have hit it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why has no one mentioned Ascension? I think it's a perfect introduction to deck building (if you won't consider Dominion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ripshawd wrote:
Why has no one mentioned Ascension? I think it's a perfect introduction to deck building (if you won't consider Dominion).

Because Ascension is fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Giving Tanto Cuore a look...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd second Hey Nonny Mouse's suggestion for Eminent Domain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
try Quarriors! I know it is an odd choice but when i introduce new player to deckbuilding i start wiuth this one. The rolling of the dice help to equalize the differences in skill between the deck builders. thus it is a great gateway game. My 75 year old mother wants to play it all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putts wrote:
Ripshawd wrote:

Because Ascension is fantasy.
Bah. I guess so. It's not traditional medieval fantasy, but fantasy none the less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eaten by Zombies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike is my recommendation. A bit more adversarial than Dominion with just a touch more complexity (different colored actions and the crashing mechanic). Also has asymmetrical starts that are pretty well balanced. I think 3rd edition is out next month, as well as the stand-alone expansion Shadows.

Alternatively, I just picked up Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation at Barnes and Noble on super clearance for a song, and it's actually pretty fun. I haven't quite gotten the hang of the strategy yet, but it's not too bad. Kind of ascension-meets-rune age-in-space. Might be an option, and if it flops, it's not like you wasted a lot of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Cooper
United States
Troy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for Tanto Cuore. It's super fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't A Few Acres of Snow a deck building game with a historical theme? I had heard people say good things about that game in the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to be of help. Some other SF choices:
Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation: a little fiddly, but fun. And easy to get players for if you know Star Trek fans.
Nightfall: post-apocalyptic world with vampires, werewolves and zombies (oh my). Massive player interaction, especially compared to other deck builders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Glad to be of help. Some other SF choices:
Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation: a little fiddly, but fun. And easy to get players for if you know Star Trek fans.
Nightfall: post-apocalyptic world with vampires, werewolves and zombies (oh my). Massive player interaction, especially compared to other deck builders.

Star Trek DBG can also probably be found at your local Barnes & Noble on ultra-clearance too. I can verify that I've had quite a bit of fun with this one so far as well. kind of a cross between Ascension and Rune Age with a Star Trek theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Eminent Domain, Core Worlds or A Few Acres of Snow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Build an engine... build an engine...

I cannot believe I am saying this but... Resident Evil Deck Building Game + the first non-standalone expansion Resident Evil Deck Building Game: Outbreak.
It is Dominion, but... ameritrash... and, well, the theme is Resident Evil.
Much off the mark?

Also, Jake Arno, if you don't mind my asking, and hoping to not derail the thread too much... Where does the idea that RftG is a deck-builder comes from?
Idle curiosity, but I have read this maybe half a dozen times from different sources, and now I just have to ask... sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.