Ty Snouffer
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I haven't found or noticed is whether there is a larger backstory or narrative for the World at War system.

Granted, I only only Blood and Bridges so it may be out there but it isn't in my game.

I think of the old Clancy book Red Storm Rising or Coyle's Team Yankee.

Why are the Soviets attacking?

Stuff like that . . .

Or is it left up to the players to think about that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A KAreil
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Walker wrote a book himself.

http://www.locknloadgame.com/Section_Cat_Content_Detail.asp?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Honestly...you're better of just shrugging off any kind of coherence and enjoying the dice-fest. It's mindless fun at its best and, from what I've seen, when people try to peel back the curtain too far it loses some of the magic.

Great games. Great system. I'm content with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
medlinke wrote:
Honestly...you're better of just shrugging off any kind of coherence and enjoying the dice-fest. It's mindless fun at its best and, from what I've seen, when people try to peel back the curtain too far it loses some of the magic.

Great games. Great system. I'm content with that.

I for one like the back story despite its supernatural underpinnings.
If we have some concept of a 'greater' evil, or things that drive men to do insane things, this just brings some narrative insanity to the table. The threads of story line from EB to ITB all tie together, its some of the non sanctioned stories that throw things a bit from what I can tell. I put a time line of all the stories to date together and posted a file here somewhere.

that however does not detract from the excellent mechanics and game play that brings out the best of WWIII combat at this scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnston
msg tools
mbmbmb
i realise you may have it by now,but the WAW compendium features a timeline,with some references to game scenarios.The supernatural theme perhaps lays the groundwork for future 'after the war' systems.Me,i just love the system,and am about to purchase Into The Breach.enjoy !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
MIGBAT wrote:
i realise you may have it by now,but the WAW compendium features a timeline,with some references to game scenarios.The supernatural theme perhaps lays the groundwork for future 'after the war' systems.Me,i just love the system,and am about to purchase Into The Breach.enjoy !!

I posted a timeline on the files section somewhere it is current upto PiB I think and adds the compendium info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.