Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in getting this one but just wondering how well it holds up to repeated plays. Seeing comments on the game like this don't fill me with confidence either:

"Not enough replay value for me. Once you've optimised the Roman set up the games tend to go along the same route."

Is this statement correct? Any experienced players out there with an opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bromie
United Kingdom
WARRINGTON
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this 6 or so times (over about 20 years!). I think it's a beautiful game. There may be an ideal set up for the Romans but I think the replayability comes from the off board movement of he Gauls and the fog of war / game of bluff that ensues. If I were you I'd get it - I'm sure you won't regret it!

Neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played multiple times over the past 25 or so years and had fun every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished playing my first game of The Russian Campaign (fourth and fifth editions) and loved it. This too looks like it has simple rules with exciting play. After reading it is balanced in favour of the Romans and they have a perfect fort setup it has taken some of the luster away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about ten to twenty games.
A few of those were three player games.
This is when the game really gets interesting.
We use to rotate teams.
Player A as the Roman against player B and C (player C in Alesia)
Then play two more games with each player taking turns as the Roman with a different player being in Alesia. Player C as the Roman and player B inside Alesia, etc.

Perfect Roman setups sound great, but I've seen many a Roman player become so confused and tricked by a good Gallic player that their "perfect plan" was trashed. 

Edit:
I spoke of an unbeatable Roman (Fort) setup in a thread asking about rules for retreating Roman units being possibly retreated again out of a Fort in the same turn.

The setup, though REALLY IMPOSSIBLE, was beaten.
Skillful and imaginative use of Gallic Cavalry brought the setup DOWN.

Replayable? Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially because of the hidden offboard movement, this game has very high replayability. And there isn't such a thing as a 'perfect defensive setup' in this game, since the Romans cannot possibly defeat a reasonably canny Gaul without doing a lot of running around, and engaging in some shrewd guesses. One of the best strategies for the Gaul is to do nothing on the first day but spread their units around the perimeter. The Romans get one look at the Gauls' dispositions at the end of the day -- but it won't necessarily help them on Day II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To continue: this game is especially replayable if you introduce play balance by varying the percent recovery after the second day. Between good players the Romans have an advantage, but by increasing the percent recovery of the Gauls in Day II, an even game can be created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.