Popular Tags: [View All]
V Laker
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please help! My friend and I have decided that this is the year we make our first trip to Essen for the fair in October. (A bit late to the party I know but redundancy scares meant I could not confirm anything until now!)

Anyway after browsing through the very helpful FAQ and the forums I found more than a few suggestions for hotels. Most I have found are fully booked for the Essen weekend but many still have vacancies.

We are driving to the event so don't mind being a little out of town but would prefer to be a short bus ride away. We would also prefer a hotel with space to play games, but again not totally necessary. We want a twin room (2 beds) and want to spend no more than 100 Euros a night (50 each).

I was thinking of one of the Holiday Inn's (They seem to have vacancies but I am not 100% sure). Either the Holiday inn express or the other Holiday Inn in the city centre. Can anyone recommend either of these? Got anything bad to say about them? Any other hotel suggestions that have vacancies would be appreciated.

I will be booking a hotel Monday morning.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're staying here, which is a bit further than we've stayed before (we booked a bit late too), but right on the U Bahn so should be a piece of cake to get around:

http://www.gasthaus-nordstern.de/index_en.html

They had rooms available about a month ago, when few other places did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
made a great list of hotels last year and I've put all those hotels into a Google Map. Even if you don't find anything now you might still get lucky if someone cancells their reservation.

As for a playing area. I wouldn't focus on that too much since you can just go to the Ibis or Atlantic (and others) for gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje
France
VENSAC
Gironde
flag msg tools
mb
Tryp Hotel Bochum is cheap and 9km away. (51€ for 2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InterCityHotel Essen. And you will get to use public transportation for free. Plus also within walking distance to Ibis for games in the evening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
taintedpsychee wrote:
InterCityHotel Essen. And you will get to use public transportation for free. Plus also within walking distance to Ibis for games in the evening.

That's where I'm staying along with three friends. The rooms are big enough for gaming, and they have a great breakfast.

Edit: That's not where I'm staying. I'm going to be staying at City Hotel Essen for the third year in a row. They have great big rooms where you can easily play games, but unfortunately no open area for gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Laker
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There may now be a third person wanting to come to Essen. Is it possible to have 3 to a room? How do I go about arranging that with the hotel? Can I do it via the website?

If I was to go for intercityhostel, what is the best way to get to the even from there? Is it viable to drive there?

Thanks for all your comments so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oskari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VinnyPaul2 wrote:
If I was to go for intercityhostel, what is the best way to get to the even from there?

Five minutes by U-Bahn line U11. Ticket zone A: Singles cost 2.40 EUR but you should probably buy 4erTickets instead; Those give you four trips at 8.70 EUR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Holiday Inn Express is where I stay, not too fancy but a nice hotel and the lobby is full of people playing games in the evening. 10 minute ride to the fair on the underground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Cabezon
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I reserved just today. I found a very nice motel in downtown at 6 underground stops from the Messe. It's in the very center, at the price of 69 €/night/room ! It seems there is still rooms because it has been recently opened and because of this it might have flown under the radar of the people.

Rooms seems quite nice, with bathroom and big beds. I don't expect a five stars hotel, neither a wonderful breakfast. But it's well situated and a good option for procrastinators like me...

http://www.motel-one.com/de/

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Cabezon
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, I booked using booking.com and got the same price like doing it through the motel's webpage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good find, nice location. Kennedyplatz is bang in the centre of Essen Central, and a very good location, about 10 minutes walk from the Hbof. I am adding it to my hotel sheet.

Note, the room price does not include breakfast, which is another €7.50.

Very close to Kennedyplatz is the shop Mueller, which has a great range of games. Also close is Galeria Kaufhof, which has a smaller slection, but often has bargains. They take a big stand in the show and sell games at clearance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I moved to Essen last year, so if you need some local information, I can try to help you.
You might also want to consider looking for hotels in the surrounding cities. Although they are independent cities, they could just as well be considered as districts: Bochum, Duisburg, Oberhausen and "Mülheim an der Ruhr". Public transportation is quite easy and makes an additional 10 to 25 minutes from those towns.

This is the local store, but most likely they will be present on Spiel: http://www.all-games.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=ar...

Bye
Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easiest way to find a vacant hotel is to use a booking site like www.hotels.com or www.booking.com

Just make sure the map shows the city Essen near Bochum or Duisburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Cabezon
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Good find, nice location. Kennedyplatz is bang in the centre of Essen Central, and a very good location, about 10 minutes walk from the Hbof. I am adding it to my hotel sheet.

Note, the room price does not include breakfast, which is another €7.50.

Very close to Kennedyplatz is the shop Mueller, which has a great range of games. Also close is Galeria Kaufhof, which has a smaller slection, but often has bargains. They take a big stand in the show and sell games at clearance.

Good to know. I'm fan of Müller stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately Müller has closed

From the Kennedyplatz you can also walk to the Hirschlandplatz and take the U11 to the fair. It's one stop before the main station, so your chances of getting into the not yet full subway are better than at the main station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Cabezon
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airsonist wrote:
Unfortunately Müller has closed

From the Kennedyplatz you can also walk to the Hirschlandplatz and take the U11 to the fair. It's one stop before the main station, so your chances of getting into the not yet full subway are better than at the main station.

Ooooh! Scheisse... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
realnewton wrote:
I reserved just today. I found a very nice motel in downtown at 6 underground stops from the Messe.

Motel one. It's where I'm staying as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are in Bredeny, don't know if it's fully booked or not. There's a bus, or you can walk. Lots of room to play at night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suzan wrote:
We are in Bredeny, don't know if it's fully booked or not. There's a bus, or you can walk. Lots of room to play at night.

Finally another gamer in Brenedey! I was starting to think me and my wife would be the only gamers there.. We'll be looking forward to meet you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Baden
United States
Berkeley Lake
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I will be at Motel One as well. Rooms still available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, it's always really busy there! Lot's of gaming at night and eating in the lounge because the breakfast room is full
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suzan wrote:
Don't worry, it's always really busy there! Lot's of gaming at night and eating in the lounge because the breakfast room is full

which place are you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kronik wrote:
Suzan wrote:

which place are you talking about?

Hotel Bredeney (look 4 posts up)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're staying at Hotel Hasselkuss. It's a bit far (~15 mins with car), but we plan on driving in to the nearby hotels for evening games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.