Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is the Drider required to move orthogonally around the corner of the dungeon wall in the example on page 9 of the rulebook, while the Copper Dragon is not required to do this in the example on page 11?

Is this something about flying, that I skipped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't cut indoor wall corners.

You can cut outdoor corners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
You can't cut indoor wall corners.

You can cut outdoor corners.

That sounds inconsistent, I'd look for an official answer. If that *is* the official answer, I can see it generating some pointless arguments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook states: "...a creature cannot move diagonally around the corner of a dungeon wall." (emphasis mine)

This is illustrated with the image below:

Then on Page 11 of the Rulebook, there's an image of a Copper Dragon cutting across the corner on an outdoor tile:

The fact that he's "flying" should have no effect in this example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Deputatov
Ukraine
Kyiv
Kyivska oblast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dragon isn't cutting the corner - the wall is not filling the entire square. If you look at LOS example in the rulebook, you'll see that you can trace LOS through such squares if the line won't touch the drawn wall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RerednaW_xD wrote:
The dragon isn't cutting the corner - the wall is not filling the entire square. If you look at LOS example in the rulebook, you'll see that you can trace LOS through such squares if the line won't touch the drawn wall

If you're replying to me, then I'm agreeing with you! (and Asmor)
As you said, the wall does not fill the whole square, and movement is allowed to go diagonally across it, as I showed in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
RerednaW_xD wrote:

OK, you're correct based on this text from page 10:

"Each square a creature moves into must be a legal square. A legal square cannot be more than half covered by a wall."

I expect they put this in to allow themselves more flexibility in featuring irregular objects on tiles. It is still going to lead to some pretty ridiculous arguments in the game over L.O.S., and even measurements to confirm that a given wall piece doesn't occupy more than half a square, but there you have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Deputatov
Ukraine
Kyiv
Kyivska oblast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
950Rav wrote:

"Each square a creature moves into must be a legal square. A legal square cannot be more than half covered by a wall."

I expect they put this in to allow themselves more flexibility in featuring irregular objects on tiles. It is still going to lead to some pretty ridiculous arguments in the game over L.O.S., and even measurements to confirm that a given wall piece doesn't occupy more than half a square, but there you have it.

Yeah, I remember that phrase, but I don't think it's relevant here - I think that it's not allowed to move into this square with a cliff and stop there, but it's allowed to move through diagonally - because the base of a dragon figure won't touch this cliff when moving through. That's just my interpretation, and I'd like an official answer too - my sets should arrive any day now

About LOS - seems that the rulebook example is wrong
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9799978

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José San Miguel
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...a creature cannot move diagonally around the corner of a dungeon wall.

I think that this rule is pretty clear and consistent with the examples on the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
For the purpose of movement, do enemy creatures count as walls? Or can you move diagonally around them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Enemy creatures never "count as walls." The only similarity between the two is they block line of sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Tan
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
furthermore:

page 10 of the rules under Flying wrote:
Flying: Creatures such as the Copper Dragon are able to fly over the battlefield when they move. In game terms, the Flying power lets a creature freely enter squares that contain enemy creatures and move past such creatures without stopping first. The creature also ignores difficult and hazardous terrain and obstacles. Walls still block its movement.

Emphasis mine.

From the same page:
Quote:
Walls: Indoor walls separate areas of the dungeon; outdoor walls are cliffs and other high formations. Creatures cannot enter or move through walls, and they cannot draw line of sight through walls

I am not convinced that "Dungeon Walls" in the previous movement rule is an actual distinction.

I feel the same as does 950Rav. Indoors not okay but outdoors is okay is inconsistent and makes little sense.

I was also confused about why they made that distinction, but it makes sense to me now. Basically, it's their muddled way of saying that straight edge walls (i.e., dungeon walls) prevent creatures from cutting diagonally across while rounded edge walls (outdoor cliffs) do not.

Figuratively, creatures running diagonally past a dungeon wall (with straight edges) would collide/clip the wall, while creatures running across the edge of a cliff would be able to avoid clipping the rounded edges.

Someone let me know if there is official clarification that voids this explanation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
wtan1 wrote:
I was also confused about why they made that distinction, but it makes sense to me now. Basically, it's their muddled way of saying that straight edge walls (i.e., dungeon walls) prevent creatures from cutting diagonally across while rounded edge walls (outdoor cliffs) do not.

Figuratively, creatures running diagonally past a dungeon wall (with straight edges) would collide/clip the wall, while creatures running across the edge of a cliff would be able to avoid clipping the rounded edges.

Someone let me know if there is official clarification that voids this explanation?

This is wrong! There are no "soft corners" in Dungeon Command. A square either is a wall or isn't, regardless of whether the art shows a corner that looks open or not. You can't cut diagonally across any wall squares.

EDIT: OK now that I've actually read the thread, I see why this is causing some contention. We've been consistently playing by what I said above. Looking now to see if there's been a definitive ruling anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these different movement rules are ok as they give a slightly different feel when playing indoor/outdoor maps other than just the aesthetics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.