Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that "Inside Union Lines" (page 3) are the spaces in Blue or the Hexagons in Light Blue. In Demolition Action Rule (page 8) "Targets for demolition include depots, bridges and rail lines Inside Union Lines. (bridges and rail lines outside union lines can NOT be demolished) Yet the first example in the book has Mosby choosing to demolish the bridge at Jackson Mills which is outside of Union Lines. So now after several read throughs..

1. I'm guessing "within Union lines" also means "Behind Enemy Lines", or is it any space directly adjacent to the line?

I just can't figure out the activation part the most, when to add or when to flip or when not to add.

2. When checking to "Activate" units adjacent to already activated units is referring to placing new units in those empty spaces if none exist as well as checking an already inactive unit in that space ?

Was unclear of the wording in the rules about check for activation of "any unrevealed space" (meaning any space that contains a ? status marker)....if that just meant adjacent to the demolition only or anywhere on the board if lines were extended.

3. Checking for activation after a demolition is only for the demolished space AND adjacent spaces?

The rules state that revealed markers are only placed within union lines (Blue circles) except for large union forces (LUF) spaces (Light Blue Hexagons) The examples in the rulebook contradicts this as they are shown placed in neutral spaces in many of the examples.

4. Where do you use reveal markers? As per question 1, I'm guessing neutral spaces "Behind Enemy Lines" are considered "Within Union Lines"??

5. Do you never place a Union unit, when checking for activation, in a space already containing a status marker?

If a Union unit moves randomly to a neutral space, the rules state that you don't place a "Reveal Status Marker" there.

6. would you place one there if you probe that neutral space in a later turn? I'm guessing that that space remains neutral and during a successful probe, you then just get to look at the unit and not place a reveal marker there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, everything North and East of the Union lines qualifies as a "Inside Union Lines".

2. That is correct. Any space "Inside Union Lines" that has no Revealed marker is considered to have an Union unit. So you are checking for that unit + any other unit in the space.

3. Correct

4. Correct. I played last night and found I didn't have enough Reveal markers and had to use alternate plastic markers.

5. That's correct. Once you've placed the marker you should have already added the force to that space. I think the idea is there is up to 1 standing army in each space.

6. I think you also have this right. There is no need for placing Reveal markers on neutral spaces. If you probe, just look at the unit and put it back. The puprose of the Reveal markers is to show which Union spaces you have visited already so that you don't accidentally add another unit to this space.

The first time I played, I was removing the Reveal markers each turn and it really changed the game. It pretty much made getting to the more remote Union spaces impossible. For example, I could never get to Alexandria to Kidnap a leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Moss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, bringing this thread back from the dead, does this mean that Mosby can't Demolish the bridge at Farmwell Station until Union lines are extended per the Extend Front event?

e: Yes - it appears that is the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nick
Canada
TORONTO
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
I ... found I didn't have enough Reveal markers and had to use alternate plastic markers.

Hey, don't DO that! The limited number of Space Status markers is by design, and when you run out and are required to place another one, you trigger the rule "Restoring Union Lines" (7.1, Page 11), which is HUGE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
1. Yes, everything North and East of the Union lines qualifies as a "Inside Union Lines".

2. That is correct. Any space "Inside Union Lines" that has no Revealed marker is considered to have an Union unit. So you are checking for that unit + any other unit in the space.

3. Correct

4. Correct. I played last night and found I didn't have enough Reveal markers and had to use alternate plastic markers.

5. That's correct. Once you've placed the marker you should have already added the force to that space. I think the idea is there is up to 1 standing army in each space.

6. I think you also have this right. There is no need for placing Reveal markers on neutral spaces. If you probe, just look at the unit and put it back. The puprose of the Reveal markers is to show which Union spaces you have visited already so that you don't accidentally add another unit to this space.

The first time I played, I was removing the Reveal markers each turn and it really changed the game. It pretty much made getting to the more remote Union spaces impossible. For example, I could never get to Alexandria to Kidnap a leader.

Re 1. to 6. All agreed.

[ Note that the answer to 6. is covered by Rule 6.1 at 1.C ! ]

[ Edit : Note also the answer to 5. is covered by the last paragraph under Rule 6.2 : Movement During Rounds. I.E. No unit is placed as no activation check is required. ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.