Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An attempt to compile the most common rules questions (and answers where available) into one place.

EDIT 8/22: The offical FAQ is up!
* Questions that are answered in the FAQ will be indicated and highlighted in Green.
* Questions that are still not clearly answered in the FAQ or rules will be highlighted in Red.

General Game Rules
=============

Combat
Q: Can you attack while in the same space as another figure?

A: ANSWERED IN FAQ. You can only interrupt an action while you are in an empty space.

Dice
Q: Are you limited to rolling the number of dice provided?

A: No, you can roll more dice than are included with the game. (Page 11)

Doors

Q: Who can open doors? Can minions open doors?

A: Normally, any monster - including minions - can open doors. Many quests have specific rules about doors, however. (Page 10)

Fatigue

Q: What if you wind up with more fatigue tokens than your fatigue score (Such as by trading away the Ring of Power)?

A: The extra stamina is converted into wounds. (Page 13)

Knock-Outs

Q: What can you do to a knocked out hero?

A: Monsters can't affect a knocked out hero at all. Heroes can only use an ability on a knocked out hero if that ability would let the knocked out hero recover damage. (Page 15)

Q: If you are knocked out, do you HAVE to stand up?

A: ANSWERED IN FAQ. No, you can pass your turn and stay down.

LOS

SEE THE FAQ FOR SEVERL LOS CHANGES!

Q: Do figures block line of sight to themselves?

A: ANSWERED IN FAQ. Yes. You can't draw a line of sigh to a corner of the figure that is blocked by any figure, including the one you are targeting. (If this has never come up for you, you may have to go look at the Discussion to even understand when this would matter. )

Movement
Q: What counts as an empty space?

A: A space without a figure or obstacles terrain is empty. So a search or objective token does not prevent a square from being empty. (Page 9)

NPCs
Q: How many and what sort of actions can an NPC take?

A: Read the quest - every quest specifies exactly which actions an NPC can take. (Quest book entries)

Q: Can an NPC be affected by any ability that works on heroes?

A (Tentative): If the rules indicate that the NPC should be treated like a hero, then yes, an ability that would work on a hero also works on the NPC.

Objective Tokens

Q: Can you pick up an adjacent objective token even if another figure is standing on it?

A: There's no rule saying you can't, so go ahead!

Stun
Q: Does Stun cost you 1 action, or your whole turn?

A: ANSWERED IN FAQ. You spend 1 action to discard the stun. At that point, you no longer have the stun card, so you may take your other actions normally. Stun just costs the victim 1 action.

Surges
Q: Can you spend surges if the attack misses?

A: If that attack rolls an 'X', then no, you cannot spend surges. If you do not have enough range, you may only spend surges to increase your range - if you cannot get enough range, you cannot use surges for other abilities. If you do not do enough damage to get past the opponent's defense, you may still spend surges. (Page 12-13 - go through step by step. Also see this discussion)

This topic isn't decided, but I'm sticking with this interpretation until someone presents a convincing argument against it

Q: Corollay question - what if you can didn't roll enough range, but the weapon has a surge ability to move a monster and could move it into range?

A: (Tentative) Again, go through the step by step on page 12-13. You must have generate enough range for the attack to hit before you are allowed to spend surges on other abilities.

Q: Can you spend more than one surge on recovering fatigue?

A: No. "Up to one unused (surge) may be used by an attacking hero to recover one fatigue". (Page 13)

General Monster Rules
=====================

Expanding and Contracting Large Monsters:

Q: Can a large monster expand and contract every time its movement is interrupted?
A PROBABLY ANSWERED IN FAQ: The FAQ indicates that not only CAN it expand every time it's move is interrupted, but it MUST do so.
It has been suggested that a large monster should resume moving from the same spot across any movement in the same turn. This is an excellent suggestion that avoids several potential problems. (Discussion)

Q: What happens when a hero moves a large monster using an ability?

A: (very tentative): The monster contracts and moves as moves as normal, with the hero player making the decisions. (Discussion)

Masters and Minions

Q: Which monsters are Minions?
A: Red monsters are Masters. White Monsters are Minions. The term "Minion" refers ONLY to the white monsters. (Page 16)

General Quest Rules
===================

Q: How much information about a quest should the Overlord reveal?

A: All of it! All of the details of a quest are known to all players, unless the quest specifies otherwise - in many quests, the OL will place objective or search tokens secretly. (Quest book page 2)

Q: Who goes first in Encounter 2? Does the turn sequence just continue, or do the heroes always go first?

A: Most groups seems to agree that the heroes always go first, but the rules aren't clear on the subjet.

Reinforcements

Q: Do Reinforcements arrive from the edge of the board, or are they placed anywhere on the tile they can arrive on?

A: Place the reinforcement in any empty space on the tile. (Discussion)

Q: What if there is not room for a reinforcement monster?

A: Normally, you may place the reinforcement in the closest empty space, but some quests have other rules. Read the reinforcement rules closely for each quest. (Quest Book page 2)

Search Cards

Q: What happens to a potion or other search card after you use it?

A: You flip it facedown, and will receive the gold value printed on the card after the quest. You cannot keep search cards from one quest to another. You DO keep a treasure obtained from the treasure chest search card. (Page 10 - not very clear though!)

Specific Abilities (hero and monster)
==================

Q: Do you need LOS for reach?

A: Yes, you do. (Page 13)

Specific Hero Abilities
=======================

Q: Defensive Training - Can you use the shield again against the same attack?

A: (Unanswered) No determination yet. I think as literally interpreted you can, and I've decided that's what makes sense to me as well. (Discussion)

Q: Nimble - Can a Hero use Nimble when a large monster expands adjacent to them?

A: (Unanswered) This is not clear, but I think it plays better if you say that the hero CAN use nimble. (Discussion)

Q: Syndrael - Does Syndrael recover 2 fatigue if she changed position without actually taking a move action?

A: (tentative) No. Moving in any way, including fatigue, Advance, and Oath of Honor, will prevent Syndrael from recovering 2 fatigue with her hero ability.

Specific Monster Abilities
==========================

Q: Ettins - are the damage bonus values misprinted?

A: The official reply is that no, they are not. (Reported)

Q: Fire Breath - how does it work?

A: PARTLY ANSWERED IN FAQ. First, you must attack a legal target - since the Shadow Dragon is a melee monster, it must be adjacent. If you hit and use a surge to activate the Fire Breath, you can pick up to 3 extra squares connected squares (for a total of 4 squares) to hit with the breath, applying the same attack roll to any target in those squares. The squares do not have to be in a straight line; the path can curve. (Discussion)

Q: Not Me! - can Splig use 'Not Me' if he is caught in the blast of a blast attack?

A: (tentative)Since 'Not Me' specifies that it works against an attack that targets Splig, presumably you can't use it if he is caught in a blast.

Q: Shambling - can a shambling monster dash?

A: ANSWERED IN FAQ. Yes, they can.

Q: Stealth - does Stealth work against Melee attacks?

A: This is a subject of major debate. Either a melee attack requires 3 range to hit a monster with stealth (normally 0 + 3 from stealth) or stealth doesn't work vs. melee. Note that the 3 is required if the melee attack is using Reach from 2 spaces away - Stealth requires an extra 3 range, and melee attacks normally require 0 range.

While I'm not sure how it is supposed to work, my take on it is that the Stealthy monsters (Wendigo and Deep Elves) aren't all that hot, so go ahead and give them the protection against melee attacks as well.

Then we have the stickiness of attacks that "ignore range" vs. Stealth - I'd say those attacks ignore stealth.

(Discussion)

Specific Overlord Cards
==============

Q: Word of Misery - how does it work?

A: ANSWERED IN FAQ. A hero that takes damage takes only 1 fatigue every time they take damage, no matter how much damage they take. If they at full fatigue, they take 1 extra wound - this is added to the base damage, and does not trigger Word of Misery again.

Specific Scenarios
==================

The Cardinal's Plight

Q: Encounter 1: Do the heroes lose even if they destroy all the zombies?

A: Losing or Winning the encounter has no effect on the next encounter - all that matters is how many zombies exit the board. The victory conditions, for clarify, should be "The scenario ends when there are no zombies or graves on the board". (See part 2 of the quest )

Castle Daerion

Q: Encounter 2: If Lord Palamon takes fatigue tokens from an attack/ability, do they add to the count of how many guards he has summoned?

A: The fatigue tokens are just a convenient token to use to track the total number of times Lord Palamon has summoned and have nothing to do with regular fatigue tokens. If Lord Palamon takes fatigue, he will instead take damage as any other figure without a fatigue score would.
For clarity, you could use objective tokens instead of fatigue tokens. (Discussion)

Q: Can Lord Palamon be thrown by an ettin?

A: As written, yes, though it's popular to houserule otherwise. (Discussion)

The Wyrm Turns

Q: Can an Elemental break this quest?

A: ERRATTED! The Elemental has been changed in the errata, and can no longer break this quest.

Edit 8/10: Added discussion links or page numbers.
Changed entry for spending surges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Peacock
msg tools
Nice post, I give my contribute
I don't have the rules in my hands now, but I remember that they say that an attack without enough range must be considered as a miss. The spending surges phase is after this "miss check": if Miss, you can't spend surges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharaazad wrote:
Nice post, I give my contribute
I don't have the rules in my hands now, but I remember that they say that an attack without enough range must be considered as a miss. The spending surges phase is after this "miss check": if Miss, you can't spend surges.

If this were the case, then you couldn't spend surges to add to range to NOT miss based on range

More discussion on this topic: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/838832/using-a-surge-if-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's try to minimize rules debate on this thread itself; if you post an item and there's debate, let's try to link to the appropriate thread to debate it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
great post...

your first question under Castle Daerion should actually be for The Cardinal's Plight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice list, would be cool to have links to relevant discussions on the questions themselves.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use both the (any) Shield and Defensive Training (knight skill) against the SAME attack?

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VonVeederVeld wrote:
great post...

your first question under Castle Daerion should actually be for The Cardinal's Plight

Gah! Fixing!

Quote:
Nice list, would be cool to have links to relevant discussions on the questions themselves.

Yes, but most of this was typed on an iPod and that's too hard to do from there. I may try to add them later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Harkreader

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
Brian, why would you start an unofficial FAQ for a game you rated as a 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tjhark17 wrote:

The game is broken in several ways, but most are house-ruleable or can be worked around to where it's fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
tjhark17 wrote:

The game is broken in several ways, but most are house-ruleable or can be worked around to where it's fun to play.

I have always understood a 1 rating to demonstrate absolute contempt for a game and zero chance of ever willingly playing it again. I have briefly scanned the quest guide for "stupidly sexist" content and I must confess I'm struggling ( although like others I'm not fond of the backstory style ). Is it merely the preponderance of male NPCs in a quasi-medieval setting which so irks you ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussing game ratings has no bearing on figuring out rules ambiguities. If you'd like to make a new thread to discuss rating the game, feel free to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
Discussing game ratings has no bearing on figuring out rules ambiguities. If you'd like to make a new thread to discuss rating the game, feel free to

No thanks. Life's too short. You're free to rate a game using whatever criteria you choose. It just annoys me that that's the one area of BGG where people can make ridiculous assertions without recourse. I think the worst case Ive seen is the guy that rated LNOE a 1 because some underdressed girl tried to get him to play it at a Con.

I'm done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm not sure what the consensus ruling is, but the FAQ should address whether you can attack while in another creature's space. A strict reading of the rules implies yes, but common sense and balance implies no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The link to Defensive Training discussion actually leads to Word Of Misery discussion.

The right link is Defensive Training and Using a Shield twice against one attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Well, I'm not sure what the consensus ruling is, but the FAQ should address whether you can attack while in another creature's space. A strict reading of the rules implies yes, but common sense and balance implies no.

That is an excellent question to add, and one that our group is still baffling over. We're playing that you can't attack while in another space right now, but as you mention I don't feel like the rules ever explicitly say that you can't - the large monster move rules vaguely imply it, but only vaguely.

Quote:
The link to Defensive Training discussion actually leads to Word Of Misery discussion.

Thanks for pointing that out, and a big thanks for providing the correct link. Tracking these all down has been a challenge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone has seen common questions to add here, please point them out! I'm sure there are some on LOS that should be here, but I'd rather not have to wade through all the LOS threads if I can help it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My questions (with possible answers). I play with a group that likes to try and exploit every possible rule in the game

Q: Splig: If he is caught in the splash damage of a Blast attack, can he still use "not me"?
A: No since he was not the target

Q: Can I use the Surge Rest more than once?
A: No, it is just like any other surge ability

Q: What happens if the Ring of Power gives me a max of 6 fatigue, I spend it all, and give the Ring of Power to someone lowering my fatigue to 5 but still have 6 tokens?
A: You simply keep the fatigue on your hero sheet. This rule helps exploit the tedious rule of passing the ring back and forth.

Q: The symbols at the top for monsters to choose. Is it limit one per symbol?
A: No. If you have a dark moon symbol for a quest, you can bring every monster that has a moon symbol as your open group. Like a Shadow Dragon AND Crypt Dragon (if you have the conversion kit)

Q: What happens if a large monster 'shrinks' to move but gets interrupted by a skill like Guard (declare and attack when a monster moves adjacent to you)? And the monster can't "fit" in the space it moved to during the interruption?
A: ? (my assumption is the Advance can't even take place and the monster can move without worrying about an attack if it can't fit since it is not the overlord's decision to interrupt)

Q: Okay, what happens if a large monster 'shrinks' during a move (let's say a dash) and has to open a door in between as its extra action, but it can not fit in any space while interrupting to open the door.
A: ? (my assumption is the monster can NOT open the door in this case, since it needs a legal place to fit to interrupt with the action)

Q: For new heroes, how much of a quest are they allowed to read in the book before deciding which quest to do?
A: All of it. And yes, if you have an AP player, they can sit there for a half hour and analyze every single quest to decide what quest to do and ruin all the surprises in the adventure.

Q: Can I use the two move actions to get an extra space out of large monsters?
A: Yes. For example, an ettin with a move of 3 technically can move up to 8 spaces. move 3 first, then put place him so he base is closer to your target. then do another move action and repeat.
Despite only having a move of 3, the end of each move action got him one space further

Q: Can an enemy like a goblin use his 5th move action point and the 1st move action point from his second move, totalling 2 movement points to move into water?
A: Yes, since move actions can be interrupted by another (move) action

Q: What about a hero instead of a Goblin, since traps mention "if hero has no movement points left".
A: Yes, a hero can do the same. He will just declare another move action to add some more movement points. So as the Overlord, make sure its the end of your hero's second action to spring a move-action-related trap on him

Quest Specific:
The Shadow Rune Interlude 1
Q: What if all monsters occupy the stream spaces in the middle?
A: You can not take an action to swim from the river's edge since there are no empty spaces to move to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syndrael the Knight recovers 2 fatigue if she doesn't move during her turn.

Q: Does using Oath of Honor count as moving?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordjinn wrote:
Syndrael the Knight recovers 2 fatigue if she doesn't move during her turn.

Q: Does using Oath of Honor count as moving?

Our group considered Syndrael's "move" to mean "not be in the same space".

It was the assumption that Syndrael's ability could have said "syndrael recovers 2 fatigue if she did not take a move action or spend fatigue to move".

Similar to how Immobolize is worded.

With that said, Oath of Honor CAN still be used if Syndrael has Immobilize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't say spend movement points, it says move. Oath of honor moves her, so no.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
It doesn't say spend movement points, it says move. Oath of honor moves her, so no.

-shnar

It would probably be very clear but the fact that we've been playing Warmachine affects our judgement. In Warmachine "moving" and "placing" models are very different things and subject to different rules. Therefore when Oath of Honor says "place", we're keen on ruling that Syndrael didn't move, she was placed and therefore can recover 2 fatigue.

Is placing moving or is placing placing and not considered a move???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
kerred wrote:
Q: The symbols at the top for monsters to choose. Is it limit one per symbol?
A: No. If you have a dark moon symbol for a quest, you can bring every monster that has a moon symbol as your open group. Like a Shadow Dragon AND Crypt Dragon (if you have the conversion kit)

This isn't right. Each open group is a single monster type (but note that some quests give the OL more than one open group -- different open groups could be allowed by the same symbol or by different symbols).

Quote:
Q: Can an enemy like a goblin use his 5th move action point and the 1st move action point from his second move, totalling 2 movement points to move into water?

IIRC the rules state somewhere that if you use two move actions you simply get double the movement points, so this is perfectly legit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
kerred wrote:

IIRC the rules state somewhere that if you use two move actions you simply get double the movement points, so this is perfectly legit.

Rules p.8 wrote:
A hero may also decide to perform two move actions consecutively,
in which case the hero receives movement points equal to twice his Speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit Trap Overlord Card - I've read a bunch of comments on this as was as the FAQ but nothing that fully cleared it up for us.

Last night a hero wanted to fatigue move twice into range of a monster so he could take 2 attack actions.

I played the Pit Trap the first time he fatigue moved and he failed. We played it as he was stunned since he had never declared a move action before hand and had no "movement points" left to spend. It seemed really powerful in this case because now his whole turn was spent getting rid of the stun (still not sure on how stun is going to be clarified) and he only moved one space.

However, double moving with fatigue to land 2x melee attacks on a boss monster is also pretty damn powerful so I feel like that's why the card exists.

From the rules, I understand you can "interrupt" a move action with a move action so the only time I really see this trap stunning you is if you START your turn with a fatigue move before declaring a movement action, or move a full 8 spaces and then fail the Pit Trap test.

The card is then still very situational, but makes the heroes think twice before starting with a fatigue move if they haven't seen that card played yet. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.